Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 9/4 - Last Brevard County Manatee Game Ever

Mass Haas

Sunday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Aaron Wilkerson at Iowa (Cubs), 12:30 PM pre-game, 1:08 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Brandon Woodruff at Mississippi (Braves), 4:40 PM pre-game, 5:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Marcos Diplan at home vs. Daytona (Reds), 4:05 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link (Daytona feed)

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Trey Supak at Beloit (Athletics), 1:40 PM pre-game, 2:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

Helena: RHP Scott Serigstad at Billings (Reds), 1:45 PM pre-game, 2:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): Season completed

DSL Brewers: Season complete, recap here

Twelve years with the Manatees, since 2005.

As with all the Link Report affiliate relationships, we've shared many behind the scenes emails, notes, tweet messages, etc., with Brevard front office and on-air staff.

The years with game audio and archived interviews were fantastic.

For those staying with the organization as it moves to Kissimmee, best wishes.

Hopefully the Brewers will be there with you in 2017.

Thanks!

Back to Principle Park again today. Last night was definitely "lackluster". Wang wasn't hit hard early, but the defense didn't help him at all. Has an autograph seeker ask Cecchini if it was true that "Hader had left" but answer was "he's sick".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sky Sox Stymied In 5-1 Loss

Sky Sox produce just three hits in defeat to I-Cubs.

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Boxscore

Well, that was another disappointing performance.

The Sky Sox had just three hits and one run on Sunday in a lose to the Iowa Cubs. The loss ends any chance of reaching a .500 record for the season as the club fell to 67-70.

Lewis Brinson (1-4, 2B), Andy Wilkins (1-4, RBI) and Josmil Pinto (1-4) had the team’s only hits.

On the mound, Aaron Wilkerson was roughed up, giving up 5 runs, 7 hits and a pair of walks in 4.1 innings. He has been disappointing since being acquired from Boston for Aaron Hill, going 2-6 and producing a 6.42 ERA for Colorado Springs.

The Sky Sox wrap up their season on Monday.

Colorado Springs Game Log

Final: Daytona 6, Brevard County 4

End of an Era: Manatees Lose Final Game

By Donald Rieber, Jr., 27 Outs Baseball

Crjp8o9UEAAep_3.jpg:small

Final Salute to the Fans in Brevard County - Photo Credit: Brevard County Manatees - Tim Holle

Check out the game story for not only the game recap, but also quotes and details on the final Manatees game including a post-game acknowledgement of the team.

Brevard County Box Score

For Bubba Derby the 2016 campaign hasn't always been a smooth ride. His final effort of the season was the third time he has given up double-digit hits in an outing. While he threw 132.0 innings with Brevard County, he ended with a 1.61 WHIP which was the highest in the Florida State league among qualified pitchers. Derby also gave up his 17th home run of the season which is the second highest total in the FSL this year.

Att: 1,573. The final crowd to ever watch the Manatees take the field.

Brevard County Game Log

The Manatees did manage to get the leadoff batter on in the 9th bringing the tying run to the plate in three straight plate appearances. Unfortunately the Manatees went down on strikes in three straight at-bats. It was a final reminder of a season that will be remembered for its struggles.

Brevard County Bottom of the 9th

• Wendell Rijo walks.
    Dustin Houle strikes out swinging.
    Jose Cuas called out on strikes.
    Brandon Diaz strikes out swinging.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Woodruff masterful in shutout win over Braves on Sunday

Shuckers win 7-0 behind Woodruff's nine strikeouts and 10th win

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/1/9/8/199612198/cuts/Woody3_6mreacas_n90ukisg.jpg

Brandon Woodruff has a minor league best 173 strikeouts after Sunday's nine in the win. (Chris Birch)

Biloxi Boxscore

It was awesome to see Brandon Woodruff finish on a high note, he's pitched very well in his last 3 starts, and I was unaware of where his strike out total ranked in MiLB, his 2 hot streaks pushed his ERA down to just above 3 in AA this season.

Clint Coulter (3-4,2B) had been on fairly cold streak batting around .200 over his last 10 games, but his 3 hit performance changed that around in a hurry. I'm not convinced the league has adjusted to him yet, I'm no longer a believer as he's proven slow to make adjustments over the course of a full season. I think 2017 will give the definitive answer many of us are looking for in regards to his career.

Biloxi Log

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Rattlers Claim Playoff Spot with 6-2 win at Beloit

Wisconsin hosts Cedar Rapids Wednesday in Game One at 6:35pm

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Wisconsin Boxscore

Playoffs!

Trey Supak came up big pitching one his better outings when the Rattlers needed it most, kudos to him. I'm still incredibly high on Miguel Diaz, I like him more than Marcos Diplan and Freddy Peralta longterm. If he finds some consistency he could break out like Woodruff did this season. His stuff is legit, his FB is legit, his control goes with his arm slot... He's mechanically unsound.

Troy Stokes (2-4,BB) is a tale of 2 halves, he's raised his AVE up from .181 to end the first half to .269 to end the season. He's batted over .300 thus far in the 2nd half. Isan Diaz (2-5,2B) needed a multi hit game, it's been tough sledding for him of late, even after today he's hitting just .111 over his last 10 games. The T-Rats will need his bat in the playoffs. Luis Aviles (2-4,HR,2B) had a tough second half, but I really like him on a personal level, I hope he can be a legit super utility type as he moves up. Carlos Belonis (2-4) had the final multi hit game for the Rattlers, it's been an up and down season for Belonis, and he's been pissy with the umpires over the last month, but there's some talent in him. He's a sleeper type to follow in the future.

Wisconsin Log

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

“[baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.” - A. Bartlett Giamatti

While the end of the baseball season signals the long winter ahead, true heartbreak occurs when your team walks off the field for the final time.

When I was 12 years old the Madison Muskies announced the 1993 season would be their last in Madison. They were moving to West Michigan (near Grand Rapids) for a new stadium and a fan base that had been deprived of baseball for decades. The end of the final season of Muskies baseball left a void in my 12 year old heart that was never going to be filled by Hatters, Black Wolf, Mallards, or any other baseball outfit no matter how hard they may try. The Muskies were the local team of my youth, the team that as long as I could remember were a fixture of my summer memories. The Muskies were a big part of the emergence and growth of my love for the game of baseball. The Muskies were part of the fabric of my hometown. While the players would come and go during one brief stop along their professional development paths, they would forever remain Madison Muskies in my mind. With Oakland's success in the late 80's and early 90's it was a constant source of pride to see former Muskies players make an impact at the games highest level.

The Muskies leaving Madison didn't seem like it could actually happen, but soon enough it would become reality. When they finally left, a small segment of my baseball fandom dried up with them. And I hated West Michigan for it. The following years when the local newspaper would publish minor league attendance numbers and West Michigan was breaking records I despised them even more. I didn't know anything about Grand Rapids, Michigan, but for the next several years I knew them as the place and the people that stole "My Team".

Years later I met a girl who had moved to Michigan in her early teens. When she learned of my love for the game of baseball she told me, "you should go to a Whitecaps game sometime, the park is really nice." I went on to learn that girl went to Whitecaps games as an important part of her own youth. The games served as part of her indoctrination into the local community to which she had moved. She went on to become my wife and as life has a tendency to do I learned a valuable lesson. There is beauty in the heartbreak baseball can cause. The game never just ends, baseball's impact is eternal even as the players, parks, and municipalities change. Madison's loss was certainly West Michigan's gain. Still the magic of the game of baseball didn't end in Warner Park, it transferred to another community that reaped the benefits. While it doesn't make it sting any less to lose your team there is at least some small comfort in knowing the game will continue on, always.

Good luck to the Brevard County franchise as they move on to their new community in Kissimmee, FL.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Fans reflect on Manatees’ final game in Brevard

Videos and many photos, including this one summing up Manatee fans' sentiments --

Crl-_jbWYAEQOHR.jpg

Yes, minor league baseball. The only ones analyzing a 40-97 record as it pertains to the Brewers' organization are on this forum. For the fans in Viera / Melbourne, the 'Tees represented all that is good about minor league baseball.

“[baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.” - A. Bartlett Giamatti

While the end of the baseball season signals the long winter ahead, true heartbreak occurs when your team walks off the field for the final time.

When I was 12 years old the Madison Muskies announced the 1993 season would be their last in Madison. They were moving to West Michigan (near Grand Rapids) for a new stadium and a fan base that had been deprived of baseball for decades. The end of the final season of Muskies baseball left a void in my 12 year old heart that was never going to be filled by Hatters, Black Wolf, Mallards, or any other baseball outfit no matter how hard they may try. The Muskies were the local team of my youth, the team that as long as I could remember were a fixture of my summer memories. The Muskies were a big part of the emergence and growth of my love for the game of baseball. The Muskies were part of the fabric of my hometown. While the players would come and go during one brief stop along their professional development paths, they would forever remain Madison Muskies in my mind. With Oakland's success in the late 80's and early 90's it was a constant source of pride to see former Muskies players make an impact at the games highest level.

The Muskies leaving Madison didn't seem like it could actually happen, but soon enough it would become reality. When they finally left, a small segment of my baseball fandom dried up with them. And I hated West Michigan for it. The following years when the local newspaper would publish minor league attendance numbers and West Michigan was breaking records I despised them even more. I didn't know anything about Grand Rapids, Michigan, but for the next several years I knew them as the place and the people that stole "My Team".

Years later I met a girl who had moved to Michigan in her early teens. When she learned of my love for the game of baseball she told me, "you should go to a Whitecaps game sometime, the park is really nice." I went on to learn that girl went to Whitecaps games as an important part of her own youth. The games served as part of her indoctrination into the local community to which she had moved. She went on to become my wife and as life has a tendency to do I learned a valuable lesson. There is beauty in the heartbreak baseball can cause. The game never just ends, baseball's impact is eternal even as the players, parks, and municipalities change. Madison's loss was certainly West Michigan's gain. Still the magic of the game of baseball didn't end in Warner Park, it transferred to another community that reaped the benefits. While it doesn't make it sting any less to lose your team there is at least some small comfort in knowing the game will continue on, always.

Good luck to the Brevard County franchise as they move on to their new community in Kissimmee, FL.

This was a very nice and very touching post.

Archived