Brewer Fanatic

Brewers won claim on Puig

A team would trade for Puig in a heartbeat at the 2017 deadline if he looked like the 5 WAR Puig. Make up issues are pretty minor once you are performing like an All-Star.

The majority of MLB teams could use a talent like Puig yet zero of them, outside of the Brewers, put in a claim and tried to acquire him. Explain to me why they all wouldn't be doing exactly what Stearns is trying to do (ie acquire him at a low point giving up less knowing he turns it around and you trade him for a haul). They can all get creative with trade packages to make contracts work so don't tell me teams will magically think differently about him after 250ABs. Or that make-up issues are irrelevant when you always discuss Braun, who's "lying" 4yrs ago isn't even remotely close to being similar to how Puig handles himself on and off the field.

I actually don't think Braun lying effects his value that much. Thanks for pulling that out of thin air though. It does effect why fans hate him. The reason I don't think his value is not that high is because he is aging, injury prone, and expensive.

Brewers claimed Puig. That means the teams with worse records passed and better record teams had no chance. Also many teams have tried to acquire Puig the last two years but the Dodgers price was high.

Then again none of this matters because I said IF he played like a 5 WAR player NEXT year teams would be lining up. Not now so why it is even being mentioned I have no clue.

The majority of MLB teams could use a talent like Puig yet zero of them, outside of the Brewers, put in a claim and tried to acquire him.

All we know from the tweet (provided that it's correct in the first place) is that Puig was passed on by National League teams with records worse than Milwaukee's on whatever day the Brewers "won" the claim. We can't assume that teams in the AL or NL teams with better records than the Brewers didn't make claims.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The majority of MLB teams could use a talent like Puig yet zero of them, outside of the Brewers, put in a claim and tried to acquire him.

All we know from the tweet (provided that it's correct in the first place) is that Puig was passed on by National League teams with records worse than Milwaukee's on whatever day the Brewers "won" the claim. We can't assume that teams in the AL or NL teams with better records than the Brewers didn't make claims.

Ya, because the Brewers got him that means like 4 teams passed. To say zero teams claimed him is a pretty baseless statement and most probably inaccurate.

I am really glad we didn't get Puig let alone give up anything of value for him. His numbers look horrible the last couple years. I would much rather see what we have in Santana then give Puig a try.

This.

Didn't the Selig and Doug Melvin eras satisfy your need for the band aid, win 83 games approach? Yeesh.

I don't think you understand how a rebuild works. Go back and look at how the cubs operated 3-6 years ago and look at where they sit in the standings now.

and this...

Puig is a great buy low option who may need a change of scenery from that dump er I mean nice organization. For the right price of course. Giving up Braun for him however would not be a good idea.

I wouldn't do Braun straight up for Puig. I would want some prospects along with Puig for Braun.

Not much really sticks out about Puig's secondary stats that indicate he is doing anything different from his good seasons. Fewer infield hits and bunt hits. Similar batted ball and plate discipline rates. My analysis would be he was making better contact his first couple years with a .386 and .356 BABIP.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Giving up Braun, even with his contract, is hardly a buy low on Puig. Everyone knew he was available and probably has been for years.

This is not a guy the Brewers should have any interest unless it's one of those trades where we take on his contract in exchange for taking on a prospect.

Yes Puig is younger and less expensive than Braun but technically so is Flores and Kirk N, so it's not exactly much of a statement. Honestly I'd rather have Kirk than Puig for this Brewer team.

I can't say that I'd be super excited about Puig, but given the modest number of places we can likely trade Braun if something like this made Puig the 3rd higher end 'prospect' included in the deal and therefore a lot more palatable to the Dodgers that could make sense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Padres traded for Gary Sheffield. I don't think they regretted that move.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes Puig is younger and less expensive than Braun but technically so is Flores and Kirk N, so it's not exactly much of a statement. Honestly I'd rather have Kirk than Puig for this Brewer team.

It's not that he is younger and cheaper. It is the fact he is only 25 and has two 5 WAR years under his belt.If he even gets close to that he is a bargain.

It's not like the Brewers would trade Braun straight up for Puig. Heck for all we know he could mainly be money motivated. Since we have to pick up money that could be where Puig comes in. He may provide little value to a trade outside of that.

I'd take a chance on Puig in a heart beat for a small price. Much like I think many teams have attempted over the last year. Puig was actually hitting really well after his DL stint and then he got demoted. Maybe the demotion was a wake up call or maybe something else can be done.

I really can't understand this statement. So basically, because Nieuwenhuis and Flores are younger than Braun and not that good, that means Puig must not be all that good either?

'Younger' is about as far as the similarities go. Puig is many times more talented than Nieuwenhuis, and has a superstar upside, while Nieuwenhuis has a career 4th OFer upside. I should hope at this stage of the rebuild that Stearns is more in the market for superstar flyers rather than 4th OFers.

Nieuwenhuis IMO is actually not a great fit for this team, as his ceiling is limited and he's taking a ton of innings away from the young talented OFers on our team/system. He would have been a good fit on the 2011 Brewers, a younger better fielding Kotsay type.

I'd pass on Puig. He'd be a buy low candidate, but he hasn't hit this year, and there are some makeup concerns which is something I'm avoiding on a young team.

I understand the injury and decline concerns with Braun, but if it's the bottom of the ninth with two out, down a run--he's the guy I want up there. He may not be that guy in three years, but with no one ready to carry that torch with him gone, I'd put a premium on his value and have to be blown away with any deal.

I'll gamble on him being productive in three years before I gamble a few B- prospects or Puig regaining form.

I think the Brewers are competing in less than three years.

But right now, the most the Dodgers get for Puig? Scooter Gennett and Taylor Jungmann. They can give the Brewers Cody Ballenger and Austin Barnes. We're doing a favor taking almost $18 million in payroll off their hands, and they get a second baseman to replace Utley.

Back before Peralta came back up and showed massive improvement, I thought about a straight up trade Peralta for Puig. Two struggling buy low guys with tons of potential, it seemed like a fair swap to me. Maybe we'd have to throw in another mid-grade prospect, but I would've been interested to see that deal.

Now that Peralta is showing massive improvement, I obviously wouldn't want that deal anymore, and I think given the fact that most of the time Braun's contract will be on the books the rest of the team will be pretty cheap anyways, I'd rather stick with Braun over taking a risk on 3 years of Puig.

I'm still interested in Puig, but we'd have to get a lot more back if we're giving up Braun. Puig/De Leon and we'll talk.....

Peralta isn't even close to having the potential Puig has. Peralta at best is a mid rotation starter...at best. He does not have a ton of potential. Puig is true elite caliber player. Stearns would make that trade in a heartbeat. No hard to find another Peralta.

Puig for Peralta is a pretty bad trade for the Dodgers.

Not if you do a Braun and Peralta for Puig, Kazmir, and one of De Jong/Sheffield/Abdullah. That saves the Dodgers about $7-10m over the next two years.

What exactly does Peralta offer to any team? He's been better since his callup but he's been downright terrible for a couple years. He's a throwin at this point and not someone a team is going to target.

I wouldn't do Braun straight up for Puig. I would want some prospects along with Puig for Braun.

Not much really sticks out about Puig's secondary stats that indicate he is doing anything different from his good seasons. Fewer infield hits and bunt hits. Similar batted ball and plate discipline rates. My analysis would be he was making better contact his first couple years with a .386 and .356 BABIP.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/yasiel-puigs-other-huge-problem/

Fangraphs ran two articles early in the season on Puig. The first was that he was basically swinging at everything low and away. And the second was that he was hitting a ton more pop ups.

Those articles were mid-may. I don't know if he has corrected those problems since then.

For the record the Brewers were not the only team to put in a claim for Puig. From what I saw the Orioles and White Sox also put in a claim for him. I am sure the interested parties list will grow in the offseason when teams will have OF slots opening up and their wallets.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/yasiel-puigs-other-huge-problem/

Fangraphs ran two articles early in the season on Puig. The first was that he was basically swinging at everything low and away. And the second was that he was hitting a ton more pop ups.

Those articles were mid-may. I don't know if he has corrected those problems since then.

He had 13 infield fly balls a the time of the article and 6 since. The numbers are kind of small so a few here or there can show a large swing. Hard to say. I guess last year could be chalked up to injuries and this year to not making adjustments. He has been hitting better since May and has a great second half going.

I would still rather get someone younger for Braun. Someone with more control left. I don't even care if we would have to pay most of Braun's salary going forward, although I don't think we should have to. I just want young controllable talent back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm making up numbers here but that logic of worth only goes so far. Say you have a house you are selling. You try to sell your 150k house for 200k and nobody offers. Down the block somebody wants to sell their 100k house for 85k and there is plenty of interest. Does that mean the 2nd house is worth more because there is more interest in that house? I don't think so

Archived