Brewer Fanatic

Brewers won claim on Puig

Very, very interesting. I would have hoped that we would have gotten a couple of legit prospects back along with Puig if we were giving up Braun. I'm guessing they'll revisit this offseason.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I still think something like the following is pretty reasonable and fair:

Dodgers get:

OF-Ryan Braun

8 million dollars

Brewers get:

OF-Yasiel Puig

OF-Alex Verdugo

OF-Starling Heredia

RHP-Imani Abdullah (currently DL'ed so a player of similar value may need to be substituted)

That was my line of thought prior to the trade deadline but I had RHP-Grant Holmes instead of Verdugo. Holmes was traded to the A's in the Reddick/Hill deal and Verdugo is probably closer in value to Holmes than any other player in the Dodger's system.

People were suggesting De Leon in the Braun/Dodgers thread and it wouldn't surprise me if that was what killed the deal. Not unreasonable for the Brewers to demand him and it wouldn't be unreasonable for the Dodgers to give him up, but the timing to move De Leon is terrible from the Dodger's perspective. Their rotation just has too many injuries and De Leon certainly appears to be the next option. In the off-season that situation may work itself out and they might feel better about dealing De Leon...I really don't think that's something they could do at the present time.

Also, the Dodgers probably would have been much better off going after Braun and paying top dollar for him in July. Reddick has slashed a horrible .161/.223/.172/.396 for them and so far Rich Hill has only thrown 6 innings (is scheduled to pitch again tomorrow). I believe Reddick and Hill are both free agents at the end of the year. So far that deal looks terrible for the Dodgers.

Brewers can easily afford both though. Try to make your team better...adding Puig would almost certainly do that.

Yes they can easily afford both but you are running out of room to play everyone at that point. At some point next year Brinson will be with the Brewers with Puig, Braun, Santana and Broxton in the OF already that won't give you much playing time for all 5 of those players and they need playing time as 3/5 of those players are developing players.

Plus adding Puig to the roster doesn't really move the wins all that much for the Brewers. The Brewers would go to a 70 win team to about a 74 win team. So you are going to pay Braun and Puig just to get about 4 more wins next year?

A Braun and Puig trade makes sense for both the Dodgers and the Brewers. I suspect the Brewers didn't want to part with money otherwise I don't see a reason why this trade didn't happen.

Puig is younger, cheaper and probably has a higher upside but at this point I'd rather just keep Braun.

For all the talk about Ryan's injury issues he's got over 1,000 PA the last two years compared to just over 600 for Yasiel, plus another 100 in the minors. Braun's also easily outperforming Puig the last two years with a 133 wRC+ & 6 fWAR vs. a 104 wRC+ & 2 fWAR.

Throw in whatever marginal value Braun provides as a "veteran leader" compared to Puig's reputation as a disruptive malcontent & LA would have to include at least one prospect of some intrigue before I'd consider a swap.

Brewers can easily afford both though. Try to make your team better...adding Puig would almost certainly do that.

Yes they can easily afford both but you are running out of room to play everyone at that point. At some point next year Brinson will be with the Brewers with Puig, Braun, Santana and Broxton in the OF already that won't give you much playing time for all 5 of those players and they need playing time as 3/5 of those players are developing players.

Don't forget the almighty Kirk

A deal around the two make a lot of sense. Puig is a great buy low candidate and it frees up money for the Dodgers. Along with some prospects it could be a deal that makes both teams really happy. If Puig turns it around we have a stellar player or a guy to trade for a boatload of prospects. I would still need multiple promising prospects to go with him though.

I'd rather keep Braun and still get Puig. Move on from Carter and attempt Santana at 1B. When Brinson comes up, Broxton moves to the 4th OF/PR.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I am really glad we didn't get Puig let alone give up anything of value for him. His numbers look horrible the last couple years. I would much rather see what we have in Santana then give Puig a try.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am really glad we didn't get Puig let alone give up anything of value for him. His numbers look horrible the last couple years. I would much rather see what we have in Santana then give Puig a try.

His numbers the last two year have looked pretty average offensively...not horrible. He is 25 and not far removed from putting up 10 WAR in a two year span.

How about the Brewers give up Santana and a prospect (Phillips, Nottingham, Coulter)? Braun, Puig and Brinson with Broxton as the 4th OF would be such an upgrade. A gamble like this could make the Brewers competitive in 2017. Not saying playoffs, simply better than where they are now.

Didn't the Selig and Doug Melvin eras satisfy your need for the band aid, win 83 games approach? Yeesh.

I don't think you understand how a rebuild works. Go back and look at how the cubs operated 3-6 years ago and look at where they sit in the standings now.

This.

Didn't the Selig and Doug Melvin eras satisfy your need for the band aid, win 83 games approach? Yeesh.

I don't think you understand how a rebuild works. Go back and look at how the cubs operated 3-6 years ago and look at where they sit in the standings now.

and this...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd pass on Puig. He'd be a buy low candidate, but he hasn't hit this year, and there are some makeup concerns which is something I'm avoiding on a young team.

I understand the injury and decline concerns with Braun, but if it's the bottom of the ninth with two out, down a run--he's the guy I want up there. He may not be that guy in three years, but with no one ready to carry that torch with him gone, I'd put a premium on his value and have to be blown away with any deal.

I'll gamble on him being productive in three years before I gamble a few B- prospects or Puig regaining form.

It's an interesting scenario. Puig has 3yrs before he's a FA and nobody will trade for him next break because his recklessness and attitude won't drastically change by then. So you're hoping he gets it together by mid-2018 - 2019 to trade him at 27yrs old for top prospects. It makes sense but it's such a gamble because if he doesn't you're not getting back the quality of prospect you should for a Braun.

OF situation won't be affected because by the time Puig is traded You're looking at Brinson, Santana, Broxton and Phillips just getting up.

A team would trade for Puig in a heartbeat at the 2017 deadline if he looked like the 5 WAR Puig. Make up issues are pretty minor once you are performing like an All-Star.

Unless, of course, your Ryan Braun then OMG he lied about the PEDS!!!! Maybe Puig has issues but he's certainly shown he's got the physical tools to be a pretty darn good ballplayer. I'd rather have Puig on the potential upswing then Braun on the guaranteed downward slope.

The last thing a rebuilding team is a head case that doesn't play smart baseball.

Unless the trade was Braun for a whole lot of prospects and we are taking on Puigs contract only as salary relief for Brauns deal this is a no go for us. We have plenty of young controllable outfielders.

Archived