Brewer Fanatic

Window company/installer in NE Wisconsin

jerichoholicninja

My brother is a foreman for one of the better framing companies in the area, I'll ask him tonight who he'd recommend.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He said all of the contractors they've dealt with on remodels are pretty much the same.

Obviously you need to the decide on the quality of the windows you want to buy, then it comes down to the quality of the install and labor cost.

He's worked with everyone that advertises on TV, says they are all pretty much the same. The chain stores will have already vetted their subcontractor who will install the windows which eliminates some of the worry on the installation and labor side. Those are you're 2 safest bets on the quality of the window installation.

He said the more bids you get (outside of going with a well known chain) the easier it will be for you to figure out the quality/labor cost issue.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

We have 2 very large picture windows (roughly 6'x10') and one somewhat big one to replace. No matter who we go with it's going to be expensive. The one guy we met with talked up how energy efficient his are because they are triple pane and other stuff, which I'm sure is true, and that's important to us since these windows are so huge. Is it $4 or 5 thousand more important to us? We're not sure.

We're looking to put some new windows in our house next spring. Got a couple estimates set up but really have no clue what to look for. We've met with one guy and he was all sales pitch which really put me off.

Any good or bad experiences with companies or general advise?

I went through this a few years ago. It was a bad experience, and everyone we met with while getting quotes was worst than the next. The "used car salesman" cliché really should be changed to "window salesman."

My only advice would be this. I highly doubt any window that costs $5,000 more will never come close to paying for itself. Realistically, how much would be saved per month on heating bill getting top of the line triple pane over new double pane? $5? That would take 83 years to pay for itself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We used Feldco once, but it was a storm door installation. They did nice work, and I didn't take the time to get multiple quotes beforehand which was a mistake because they were really expensive.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 1 month later...
Had our third (and what turned out to be final) guy come out. He seemed nice at first but turned into a total salesman once we started talking. Asked us a bunch of what I thought were incredibly stupid and pointless questions such as "How will you determine if this is a successful project?" There was a point where he stopped and said to my wife and me "You guys have been pretty quiet. Are you sure you don't have any questions?" I responded by saying, "I just want a price." He had this look like he was holding in extreme anger on his face and was silent for like a minute. He started packing up his things and I honestly thought he was just going to leave. Instead he pulled out a binder and started working on prices. Wound up going with him only because my wife was sick of this whole process. He wasn't who I would have picked though.

Archived