Brewer Fanatic

2016-08-31 Cardinals (Weaver) at Brewers (Garza), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-1]

1992casey
I don't buy the speculation about the players having attitude, practice, or whatever other issue someone might want to conjure in defense of Counsell, and the August trade idea was an extreme reach as well.

Yeah, a few games ago Brian and Bill said during the broadcast there was nothing wrong with Santana, they just "couldn't take Nieuwenhuis out of the lineup" or some crap like that.

If we were going to do this, we should've just kept Flores and optioned Santana to the minors. That's still obviously not ideal but at least he'd be getting consistent at bats somewhere instead of maybe getting a pinch hit appearance once every game.

This is a bad two day stretch for the Peralta/Garza haters.

I think those people hated the performance of those guys more then the actual human beings.

And the hate was reasonable...... :)

^ this.

I am happy that Wily seems to have rebounded, don't care one way or the other about Garza. If he has improved enough for someone to take him and his contract off our hands, that is a win win situation!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If he has improved enough for someone to take him and his contract off our hands, that is a win win situation!

That was kind of my point. He isn't consistent enough for someone else to want him, but he isn't bad enough for the Brewers to simply cut him loose.

Just for comparison sake. The Pirates traded Francisco Liriano, Plus Reese McGuire, and Harold Ramirez for Drew Hutchinson who had all of 12IP this season. McGuire is in the top 100 rankings sans a .700OPS Minor League career. And Ramirez who had a top 100 ranking by BA preseason.

Kinda makes Garza's performance and money owed showing that type of value. It'll cost us a top 100 prospect to even trade him. Yikes

Just for comparison sake. The Pirates traded Francisco Liriano, Plus Reese McGuire, and Harold Ramirez for Drew Hutchinson who had all of 12IP this season. McGuire is in the top 100 rankings sans a .700OPS Minor League career. And Ramirez who had a top 100 ranking by BA preseason.

Kinda makes Garza's performance and money owed showing that type of value. It'll cost us a top 100 prospect to even trade him. Yikes

I think you're undervaluing Hutchinson. He's been on the DL this year, but he's only 25 and was in the majors by the age of 21. Two years ago as a 23 year in 184 innings he struck out 184 with only 60 walks. He also isn't a FA until 2019.

McGuire is an excellent defensive catcher and while young has a long ways to go with the bat. Ramirez is also young and offensively kind of a cross between Reed and Wren - he'll hit for average (Wren) with a little power (Reed), but his OBP is heavily dependent on his BA as he doesn't walk like Reed/Wren do. He's been playing CF but his arm and athleticism (5'10", 220; successful in only 7 of 17 SB attempts this year) doesn't lend itself to staying there. I don't know how they both got top 100 prospect status as right now neither projects to be much more than a bench player. I'd say that McGuire projects to be like Maldonado (needs to improve the bat to even get that far), not sure who a comp for Ramirez is. There is a lot of projection involved in those rankings; I don't think either would be in the Brewers top 15.

Archived