Brewer Fanatic

2016-08-31 Cardinals (Weaver) at Brewers (Garza), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-1]

1992casey

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/cardinals.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 31 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Cardinals (70-61) | Brewers (56-76)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/opponents/cardinals_weaver-luke-01.jpghttp://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/brewers/brewers_garza-matt-08.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Luke Weaver[/pitcher][h2]1-1, 3.60 ERA, 1.47 WHIP[/h2][h3]Game Log[/h3][h3]Weaver earned his first Major League win in his last start. At six innings, it was the longest of his three outings so far. He has struck out 16 over his first 15 big-league innings, but he has also allowed three home runs and walked five.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Matt Garza[/pitcher][h2]4-6, 4.89 ERA, 1.60 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cardinals | Game Log[/h3][h3]Garza deserved a better fate on Friday when a pair of Jonathan Villar errors led to five unearned runs in the sixth inning of a loss to the Pirates. The miscues extended the frame long enough for Jordy Mercer to hit a grand slam.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. 1B Matt Carpenter (L)
  2. SS Jedd Gyorko ®
  3. RF Brandon Moss (L)
  4. 3B Jhonny Peralta ®
  5. C Yadier Molina ®
  6. CF Randal Grichuk ®
  7. LF Jeremy Hazelbaker (L)
  8. 2B Greg Garcia (L)
  9. RHP Luke Weaver ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. 3B Jonathan Villar (S)
  2. RF Kirk Nieuwenhuis (L)
  3. LF Ryan Braun ®
  4. 2B Hernán Pérez ®
  5. 1B Chris Carter ®
  6. CF Keon Broxton ®
  7. SS Orlando Arcia ®
  8. C Martín Maldonado ®
  9. RHP Matt Garza ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Tell us again how Counsell is only playing Nieuwenhuis for an August trade.

It's not really even worth getting bent out of shape over anymore, beyond ridiculous. I'm not sure why Counsell has such a great reputation with the fans, what has he really excelled at? As a manager how is he different than anyone else?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have no idea what Counsell is doing with Kirk, better production than expected aside. We're not thinking of doing something crazy like offer him arbitration next year, are we?

He came into tonight's game hitting .283/.387/.547 at Miller Park. No explaining it but might as well roll with it

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It's not really even worth getting bent out of shape over anymore, beyond ridiculous. I'm not sure why Counsell has such a great reputation with the fans, what has he really excelled at? As a manager how is he different than anyone else?

Two best posts of the day.

Santana sits while "Captain Kirk: and his .212 batting average plays...

I have no idea what Counsell is doing with Kirk, better production than expected aside. We're not thinking of doing something crazy like offer him arbitration next year, are we?

He came into tonight's game hitting .283/.387/.547 at Miller Park. No explaining it but might as well roll with it

It's not that I think he sucks. It's just that he has no future value with this team. Why he's still here is a mystery to me. I would have thought he'd be worth something and anything would have been better than nothing.

I'm a little disappointed Stearns hasn't gone to Counsell and told him to knock it off. Nieuwenhuis is a fine 4th outfielder and would be a decent starter if we had no younger options but we have options and he needs to be a Braun sub when he needs a break and maybe a Santana/Broxton sub once or twice a week, not an everyday player.

I'm a little disappointed Stearns hasn't gone to Counsell and told him to knock it off. Nieuwenhuis is a fine 4th outfielder and would be a decent starter if we had no younger options but we have options and he needs to be a Braun sub when he needs a break and maybe a Santana/Broxton sub once or twice a week, not an everyday player.

Maybe there is something else going on with him that we are unaware of? Practice habits? Attitude?

Santana was perfectly healthy in the minors, he played everyday on the way back from his rehab assignment.

I don't buy the speculation about the players having attitude, practice, or whatever other issue someone might want to conjure in defense of Counsell, and the August trade idea was an extreme reach as well. The simple fact that Broxton and Santana both aren't playing 4 of 5 days is ridiculous. Getting each OF 1 day off a week would give Nieuwenhuis plenty of ABs.

I'm extremely skeptical that Counsell is the correct kind of manager for a rebuilding team, or a small market team like Milwaukee. Even if you believe that Nieuwenhuis gives you one more win this year, they are trading win(s) in a year that doesn't matter to stunt the growth of younger players, costing more wins in the future, because each player needs consistent ABs to improve. You don't get better sitting on the bench, you don't gain experience through osmosis.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Santana was perfectly healthy in the minors, he played everyday on the way back from his rehab assignment.

I don't buy the speculation about the players having attitude, practice, or whatever other issue someone might want to conjure in defense of Counsell, and the August trade idea was an extreme reach as well. The simple fact that Broxton and Santana both aren't playing 4 of 5 days is ridiculous. Getting each OF 1 day off a week would give Nieuwenhuis plenty of ABs.

I'm extremely skeptical that Counsell is the correct kind of manager for a rebuilding team, or a small market team like Milwaukee. Even if you believe that Nieuwenhuis gives you one more win this year, they are trading win(s) in a year that doesn't matter to stunt the growth of younger players, costing more wins in the future, because each player needs consistent ABs to improve. You don't get better sitting on the bench, you don't gain experience through osmosis.

I'm not saying you are wrong but really you don't know.....you aren't buying it because you already have your mind made up.

I'm honest enough to say I don't know......I have known enough coaches in my life to understand that things are never quite as simple as they sometimes seem when it comes to playing time issues.

A few weeks ago, Counsell said that he was playing Nieuwenhuis because he gave the team "the best chance to win." Whether or not that's a correct assessment is debatable, but that was the motivation.

David and Craig talk a lot. You'd have to think they're on the same page on things like the starting lineup. It's the in-game stuff that would have to be left completely up to Craig.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived