Brewer Fanatic

Any August 31st Brewers trades this year?

MNBrew

Most -- or arguably even all, depending on your point of view -- of the obvious trade candidates are gone, but I wonder if Stearns might have a small trick or two up his sleeve for tomorrow. My hope is that they get something in return (even if it's just a medium-sized bag of peanuts) for Blaine Boyer.

If that and only that happens, I'd be pleased, though if I were to handicap it, I think they actually won't make any deals.

I'm not too fond of Corey Knebel's post-DL work, either, and I'd gladly turn him around for someone else, but that may be more likely in the offseason or, if he improves, in late July of 2017.

Any guesses?

Knebel isn't the kind of guy we should be looking to move IMO. He's young, controlled, has more upside than what he's delivering at the moment, and wouldn't bring back a thing in trade.

If they managed to get Torres or Boyer or Marinez through waivers and want to deal them today, I'm all for it.

is there a time deadline today? Like 3pm et? Or midnight? Just curious.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

is there a time deadline today? Like 3pm et? Or midnight? Just curious.

As far as I know it's midnight tonight for postseason eligibility. Can still trade after that, they just aren't postseason eligible, which is irrelevant for anyone we might acquire but probably very relevant for any deal for Braun or a reliever.

You can generally assume that most players will have cleared waivers. So the pertinent question would be if anyone didn't clear.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If they clear waivers, they can be traded to anyone... right?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can't believe that Torres and Boyer are still Brewers. Both would be an improvement for any teams bullpen and neither have a future in Milwaukee.

I'm with you there. Obviously none of us know the situation Stearns has in front of him with the possible trades but I will be a little disappointed if he doesn't turn one of these pretty good bullpen arms into another lottery ticket.

I would be interested in the waiver status of Chris Carter. Considering his salary and no guaranteed contract it's probably likely he would have been claimed if placed on waivers. His batting average is low but the far more important OBP is right at league average (Carter is at .322, MLB OBP at .321). His 30 home runs is tied for 14th in baseball. Offensive slash line not really that much different from Jay Bruce...the Reds didn't get a huge return for Bruce but got a couple of pretty decent candidates and there were other teams that were interested. Obviously Bruce and Carter are much different players when factoring in the defense but Bruce's defensive metrics have been horrible this year and not very good over the last three years. Carter is below average defensively but not terrible (-1 DRS, -2.1 UZR/150). Not suggesting that the Brewers should get a plus return for Carter...but it is strange that his name isn't popping up anywhere. I think he would be a significant upgrade for a team like the Mets or Astros.

I think the reason we didn't trade Torres is because he's controllable for 2 more years and has been very good. We had other priorities at this trade deadline, and bullpen arms are always in high demand. Jeffress/Smith were probably lowering the price of Torres just by being around, so it's possible Stearns wasn't getting the offers he deemed worth it to trade Torres now. He can always trade him this offseason or at the next deadline.

As for Boyer, not sure there, but I'm guessing the return would be nothing anyways so I'm not going to lament that one too much.

I can't believe that Torres and Boyer are still Brewers. Both would be an improvement for any teams bullpen and neither have a future in Milwaukee.

Torres is still a Brewer because even though he's 33, he's controllable through 2018. I'll bet he didn't clear waivers because of that too. They are going to need to replenish their pen so why not just hold on to Torres?

Boyer is still a Brewer because he can't help a good team.

As others have said, Torres probably didn't clear waivers, and Boyer either didn't clear or wasn't worth a hill of beans.

I'm disappointed we didn't trade Nieuwenhuis, however. I can't believe there wasn't a contender out there willing to give up a lottery ticket guy in Rookie league for him.

Archived