Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Minor League Awards

madbad2000

It's Woodruff or Hader. CS is so tough on pitchers though; despite the high ERA Hader has 83 K in 66 innings in AAA. Perrin has had a great year and deserves consideration, but they go with the higher level pitcher. I think they go co-pitcher of the year with Hader and Woodruff.

I think you're right with Diaz. If Erceg or Gideon had full seasons with their numbers they would challenge. Prospect or not, I don't think the Brewers care about BABIP when it comes to awards, and Wren has had a great year - overall .324 BA and .414 OBP. But Diaz gets the nod.

Hader shouldn't even be in the conversation. Too bad if Colorado is hard. This is a statistics award and Hader has been quite dreadful in Colorado. Tough luck for him unfortunately.

Woodruff with Perrin in the conversation for PiOTY and Diaz is POTY no contest.

Hader was also a lot better than Woodruff at AA. Hader pitched almost as many innings at AA as he has at AAA.

It's also a season-long award, not a last half of the season award. If it's a stats award, here are the stats for the year:

Hader: 123 IP, 98 H, 5 HR, 51 BB, 156 K, 3.22 ERA (7.2 H/9, 3.7 BB/9, 11.4 K/9)

Woodruff: 151 IP, 117 H, 6 HR, 40 BB, 164 K, 2.80 ERA (7.0 H/9, 2.4 BB/9, 9.8 K/9)

Woodruff had the benefit of pitching 44 innings at BC, a very pitcher-friendly park. Take away BC and it's a 3.29 ERA, 7.1 H/9, 2.5 BB/9, 9.7 K/9 at AA. Almost identical ERA and H/9, lower BB/9 and K/9.

I think Hader gets it as much for political reasons as for performance, I believe Perrin is the better choice.

Isan Diaz is the hitter.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I also go Hader/Diaz. Like someone mentioned above, Hader was so dominant in AA for half the season and struck out a lot of batters in a not so ideal situation in Colorado. Diaz gets my pick because he was superb pretty much all season long.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Given the fact that there aren't a lot of wild success stories for the entire year hitting-wise, Diaz will definitely be winning that award. Haven't heard anyone realistically argue for anyone else.

Agreed that pitcher of the year is down to Hader, Woodruff, or Perrin. I would go with Woodruff. He has the better stats, and like it or not, Hader has had trouble at AAA, not just in Colorado Springs. He's been mostly better lately, but Woodruff has been more consistent.

The only reason I'd see them going with Hader is for political reasons (he's obviously much higher profile than Woodruff). Woodruff has arguably been more dominant at AA (he lasted longer on average in his games there: Hader 5.18 innings/start, Woodruff 5.61 innings/start), he has more K's on the year than Hader (which most would view as Hader's most impressive stat), less walks in more innings. I think Woodruff has had the better year and I'm not sure it's even been close.

I love Hader but that's how good a year Woodruff has had.

My top five for each award:

Pitcher:

Brandon Woodruff - very good all year

Brent Suter - Did VERY well at Colorado Springs

Josh Hader - Dominated at Biloxi, decent at Colorado Springs

Jon Perrin - Dominated all year

Wei-Chung Wang - Back in contention for a roster/rotation spot

Player:

2B/SS Isan Diaz - Just a steal in the Segura trade

1B Ronnie Gideon - HUGE power numbers

3B Lucas Erceg - Just dominating after the draft

3B Weston Wilson - While Erceg got the press, he posted a .937 OPS

C/1B Mitch Ghelfi - Posted VERY good numbers for Brevard County

I would think Diaz is pretty much a lock.

As for pitcher, I'd give it to hader based on his absolute destruction of the Southern league. Woodruff has been very good, but not as good as Hader at the same level. I would assume the team would view his first few weeks at CS as a learning period---and since its conclusion, he's been very good there too.

Archived