Brewer Fanatic

Official Draft Discussion Thread (Rounds 5-9)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weeks!! Sweet! I think.....is he any good?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well, it's obvious why Brantley was chosen...from the article Batman found:

"It's been more about how the house is doing, making sure the tarps are on," said Fort Pierce Central senior Michael Brantley, a golfer and baseball player. "All of the outside work, that's been my job. I've been up on the roof with tarps, wood, nails and screws."

Given the roof at Miller, Brantley's experience might come in handy....

My favorite pick in the draft was the second round one.

Not a fan thus far, eh? I like the Weeks pick and the Braun one is at least defensible if they like his bat as much as BA appears to.

I like the Gamel pick alright, but Braun's a stinker and nothing else really stands out.

yeah, Gamel looks like a nice pick. I hope you're wrong on Braun, but do you mind explaining what it is you don't like about him? Or do you just think the Brewers could have got someone better at 5? I would have preferred Maybin, but other than that, I think he's defensible as the next best position player.

Carlos Hereaud was # 198 on BA's rankings (and they list him at SS...his third position of the day. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Quote:
Venezuelan came to U.S. two years ago, stands out as a hitter.

Toby, you made a very good case against Braun in that debate with (I think) Bill the other day . . . but I still think the logic for taking Braun is probably more sound than the logic, as of draft day, for taking any of our recent first-rounders other than Weeks. A lot of us slagged off Fielder as a one-dimensional slugger with weight issues, and at least a few of us hate HS pitchers on principle.

Greg.

While Johnny Whittleman is regarded as the best-hitting high school infielder in Texas, Hereaud has his supporters. Opinion is more mixed on Hereaud than Whittleman, but those who like him say he can catch up to even the best fastballs. Others say Hereaud hasn't matched his Area Code Games performance from last summer and think he has trouble with breaking balls. Like Whittleman, Hereaud probably will have to move off shortstop when he leaves high school, but he usually finds a way to get the job done with his fine instincts. He has average speed, though he has a thick lower half and figures to slow down. His arm is decent, and he may fit better at second base than at third. Hereaud's parents moved their family from Venezuela to get their children a better education, so it may be difficult to sign him away from his Houston scholarship.

Toby, you made a very good case against Braun in that debate with (I think) Bill the other day . . .

where was this? The only part of the site that has been loading for me the last couple days is the forum, so if it was an article, I must have missed it. It sounds interesting.

Archived