Brewer Fanatic

The 2017 Brewers... What is Your View?

clancyphile
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Braun has actually been pretty close to average defensively as a LF over his years at the position. It was just in RF that he lost some value and hurt the team defensively.

Which he never griped about at all, moving to a position that wasn't his strength.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun has actually been pretty close to average defensively as a LF over his years at the position. It was just in RF that he lost some value and hurt the team defensively.

Which he never griped about at all, moving to a position that wasn't his strength.

No one said it was Braun's fault.

The thing about Suter and Woodruff, even with as nice of surprises as they've been, is that even if they do break into our rotation, they still have back of the rotation ceilings.

I'm curious what you need to see from someone to think they have a top of the rotation ceiling. I agree with you on Suter, but Woodruff led all of minor league baseball (every league, every level) in strikeouts this year and had numerous reports of him touching 98.

If that's not TOR-type stuff, what is?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The thing about Suter and Woodruff, even with as nice of surprises as they've been, is that even if they do break into our rotation, they still have back of the rotation ceilings.

I'm curious what you need to see from someone to think they have a top of the rotation ceiling. I agree with you on Suter, but Woodruff led all of minor league baseball (every league, every level) in strikeouts this year and had numerous reports of him touching 98.

I'd be curious who the K leaders have been the least five - ten years or so and see how they ended up. Is there an easy way to find that?

EDIT: Baseball Reference rules!

2015 Jose Berrios 175 Ks

2014 Tyler Glasnow 177 Ks

2013 Daniel Winkler 175 Ks

2012 Drew Granier 167 Ks

2011 Matt Moore 210 Ks (wow)

Berrios and Glasnow are top 20 prospects. Winkler had Tommy John in 2014 and is just now getting back to pitching (also fractured his elbow in 2015). Granier is out of the league. Looks like he had control issues. Moore has been hurt on and off his whole career. Has never pitched more than 177 innings in the majors.

Not presenting this as proof one way or the other. Just researched it out of curiosity.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If no trades are made, the 2017 organizational starting pitching assignments could look like this:

MLB: Guerra, Peralta, Garza, Nelson, Davies/Anderson

AAA: Anderson/Davies, Hader, Jungmann, Wang, Woodruff/Lopez

AA: Lopez/Woodruff, Ortiz, Ventura, Bickford, Perrin

A+: Diplan, Peralta, Ponce, D. Williams, M. Diaz

This means that Medeiros, Burnes, Supak, Yamamoto, Harber, and Z. Brown either repeat where they were in 2016 or are in the bullpen at the next level (Medeiros certainly repeats in whatever role he has). It also does not account for assignments of T. Williams, Kirby, Webb, and others who did not pitch in 2016, but they could easily start at low-A to get their feet wet and then progress as warranted.

The organization has pitching depth. And I believe quality too - IMO, Woodruff/Hader have #1/#2 potential, Ortiz/Bickford #2/#3, Jungmann/Lopez #3/#4, and Wang/Perrin #4/#5.

Very fair points. Every scouting report I've ever read on Woodruff projects him more as a back end guy if he ends up in the rotation. I was under the impression that he typically only touches the high 90s pitching out of the pen, but sits in the low 90s out of the rotation. If he does indeed end up as a surprise (at least a surprise to me) TOR that would certainly be thrilling for the organization.

Just for fun, a 2017 roster for under 20M bucks, made up of solely pre-arbitration players:

Lineup in no particular order:

2B Villar

SS Arcia

3B Perez

C Susac

CF Brinson

LF Broxton

RF Phillips

1B Santana

Bench: OF Liriano, OF Cordell, C Pina, IF Rivera, IF Cecchini

Rotation: Hader, Guerra, Davies, Jungmann, Anderson

Bullpen: Barnes, Knebel, Blazek, Cravy, Suter, Marinez, Barrios

Braun, Gennett, Thornburg, Garza, Torres, Nelson, Carter, all traded. Maldonado, Peralta, Nieuwenhuis, and other lower names I might have missed, all traded/non-tendered.

I took some leaps here, like with Phillips up after a tough year in Biloxi, though it's possible going on 23 next season, they might just want to see what they got there. Also Santana at 1st simply because I couldn't find a better option. Obviously this doesn't include the presumably big return of new guys we'd get for Braun and Thornburg especially. I couldn't determine with certainty whether Anderson is pre-arby or Super 2 next year, if he's Super 2, put Wang in that spot.

This would obviously never happen, and this team would certainly not contend, at least this early, but it'd be a fun team to watch. Either way it says a lot about how far we've come rebuilding already to even be able to put together a plausible 25 man roster made up solely of 0-3 players.

Archived