Brewer Fanatic

Jordan Yamamoto

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've asked a few times if anyone has seen him pitch but I think the posts get lost in the link report so I'll start a new thread. Just looking at the stats he appears to be a K machine and doesn't walk many at all. Current stat line:

128.1 IP 141K 31BB

He had a rough June and July but the K's were still there even though he was giving up runs. Has anyone seen him pitch and if so what's his deal?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I believe I answered you every time that you asked.

He's low 90s with a straight FB.

His off speed is MLB averagish.

He's got typical A ball control, he gets in trouble when he leaves the ball up in the zone which is why his peripherals don't necessarily represent his ERA (or FIP for people that believe is has value). Anytime he's around the belt he gets hit awfully hard because his FB is easy to square up.

With better control and command, and continued improvement in his off speed, his ceiling is would be like a Fiers.

The thing I like most about him is that he just competes, there's little change in body language, good or bad, it's just "give me the ball and lets go".

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I believe I answered you every time that you asked.

Apparently it was me getting lost :)

Thanks for the reply.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

His K-rate is misleading if you ask me. Once he climbs the ladder it will likely start to drop off since his stuff isn't good enough to fool advanced hitters and with that most of his stats with go the wrong way too. He is a nothing special, but still a MLB potential prospect if you ask me. Nothing I would get excited about.

I always sit behind home plate at TRats games, usually in close proximity to the scouts. I've overheard quite a few comments over the years, occasionally interesting but usually mundane, things we already know, etc.

I bring this up, because I heard two scouts talking about Yamamoto during one of his outings earlier this year. They were talking about how he changes speed on his change-up, which is pretty unique. He also has two different curve balls. One is a "true" curve, the other has a sharper break, probably more like a slurve.

So I started watching the pitch speeds on the OG, and on the gun from the scout sitting right in front of me. Sure enough, his speed was all over the map on his change and curve.

I think his toolbox definitely translates as he moves up through the system. He is still young, so very possible to add a couple ticks to his fastball, and continue to improve his location. His K rate is a really good sign, it shows he can be dominant when he has his control- which is often.

Like anyone else, he can hit the wall. But he is definitely one of those guys who could make it.

That is nice feedback FV. Certainly any pitcher that makes it at the MLB level with a FB topping at 90-91 needs to do something exceptionally to succeed.

Fiers had a unique delivery that hid the ball and had unusual movement on this pitches (especially a rising FB).

Greg Maddux had exceptional control and a great strategist on the mound.

Certainly, a very high percentage of MiLB players with his speed profile never make it. Changing speeds well and commanding his pitches are a great start to making it.

I was sitting by the scouts and Beloit, and asked one of them how someone who gets so many K's can get squared up on like he does (all the hits off of him were rockets). He just laughed and said "he misses his spot a lot."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived