Brewer Fanatic

Official Draft Discussion Thread (Rounds 1-4)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Our third rounders have always been a disaster under Jack Z. Maybe we drafted for signability just to throw in the towel without wasting too much money. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about this Inman guy. In other news, the replay of yesteday's Brewer game is nearing completion on FSN.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Does anyone have the link to the prospect bios on MLB.com?

I got one on Braun, and I have now spent about 30 minutes trying to get back to that page? Their site is so poorly designed, it is really an embarrasment .

Thanks

Anybody notice that BA hit on the first 16 of their predictions for the first round? Or is that not all that impressive?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A juco player who wasn?t under control was Chipola 3B Matt Gamel (34), who proved to be one of the best hitters in the state at any level. A juco all-American, Gamel has a short, quick lefthanded swing that he repeats. He?s also considered a solid defender at third base with good enough hands and arm strength for the position. Committed to Louisiana-Monroe, he should go in the first 10 rounds.

34th in a not-so-strong FLA class...apparently Jack Z doesn't read BA. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Inman article....I am sure we will get more soon, but here is something to wet the whistle

By SHANE METTLEN

Register & Bee sports writer

June 7, 2005

Talk about a lot to digest.

There are the final exams this afternoon and the state quarterfinal baseball game tonight. Somewhere in the back of the mind are thoughts about Saturday?s graduation and all the while two Tunstall High seniors are waiting for the phone call that could decide their futures.

Baseball experts say Jacob Thompson and Will Inman - the pitching duo that has led the Trojans to three consecutive Region IV titles and a Group AA state championship in 2004 - will each get a call informing them they?ve been selected in Major League Baseball?s amateur draft, which begins today and continues Wednesday.

?It?s going to be the most hectic day of my life,? Inman said. ?I?m pitching in one of the biggest games of my life, I have all this draft stuff to worry about and I have a government exam. I?ll probably just turn off my phone for a while and let people talk to me after the game about what happens.?

Both should be taken today on the draft?s first day, which also happens to be the day Tunstall plays host to Amherst with a berth in the state semifinals on the line. Will Kimmy, who tracks Virginia area prospects for Baseball America said both have pro potential. Thompson?s 6-5 frame is intriguing to pro scouts and Inman has dominated the high school ranks with a fastball in the low to mid 90s. Both have signed to play for NCAA Division I programs - Inman at Auburn and Thompson with Virginia.

?Thompson has the highest ceiling of the group, but has a strong commitment to Virginia,? Kimmy said in an email. ?Talent could put him in the top five rounds, but teams might let him slide lower if they don?t believe they can sign him. Inman suffered from a poor showing at the Commonwealth games last year. He was tired after a long high school season and didn?t show much velocity there. His coach had it back up this year, but only a few teams were in on him. He?s possible in the 8-12 round area.?

While Inman might not be high on everyone?s list, Atlanta and Milwaukee have made a considerable effort to scout him. Brewers scout Grant Britt said his organization was high on Inman, but where he?s selected depends on whether or not the clubs think he can be signed to a contract.

?We like Will and we?re interested in him,? Britt said. ?He?s a good kid and a battler and a competitor. Milwaukee likes him a lot. Jacob has had some injuries this year, but he?s a big guy with a lot of ability too.?

Inman has been told he?ll be taken in the first five rounds. He said he?s heading to Auburn if not selected in the first or second rounds, even if he?s taken by Atlanta, the Major League affiliate of the Danville Braves.

?(Playing in Danville) would be a great thing to look forward too if I did go to that organization,? Inman said. ?But it?s not going to change my decision on whether to go to school or not.?

Thompson said he doesn?t expect to get drafted early because of his intentions to play for Virginia next season.

Scouts say other areas players, such as George Washington?s Jonathan Walker and Dan River?s Blake Guthrie, could be picked in later rounds, but none are considered sure things like the Tunstall duo.

Quote:
Its obvious Yost wants to extend the platoon situation at 3b for as long as possible. Branyan/Cirillo can only last so long. Braun/Gamel is a franchise cornerstone platoon. Obvious.

You're right. It's obvious these two guys will never switch positions.

From BA draft blog:

3:16 PM: Brewers Stay On Inman

by Will Kimmey

The Brewers and Braves were among the few teams that didn't shy away from Tunstall High righthander Will Inman after he sat in the mid-80s at Virginia's Commonwealth Games last summer. But the state's career strikeouts leader bumped his velocity up to the low-90s as a senior and Milwaukee nabbed him in the third round. He'll now have to decide between pro ball and a college commitment to Auburn.

Quote:
?We like Will and we?re interested in him,? Britt said. ?He?s a good kid and a battler and a competitor. Milwaukee likes him a lot. Jacob has had some injuries this year, but he?s a big guy with a lot of ability too.?

Well no wonder they drafted this guy.

Archived