Brewer Fanatic

Jeremy Jeffress arrested in Dallas (DWI)

Hammer

Dodged a serious bullet how? Miguel Cabrera got arrested for drunk driving before the 2011 season and since then he has been named to 6 All Star teams, voted the recipient of 2 MVP awards and became the first Triple Crown winner in 45 years. How has Gallardo's career been negatively impacted by his 2013 DD incident?

I'm guessing there is no meaningful correlation between driving drunk and on field performance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dodged a serious bullet how? Miguel Cabrera got arrested for drunk driving before the 2011 season and since then he has been named to 6 All Star teams, voted the recipient of 2 MVP awards and became the first Triple Crown winner in 45 years. How has Gallardo's career been negatively impacted by his 2013 DD incident?

I'm guessing there is no meaningful correlation between driving drunk and on field performance.

Ok lets imagine this happened July 15th. Right off the bat the Rangers trade is never going to happen since he would be in rehab at the deadline. What team is going to trade for a guy in rehab and out till mid August? What team wants to trade for a guy just caught for DD and possibly Marijuana right before the deadline who has a pretty checkered past? I am going to say almost no team and any team with interest wouldn't be offering premium value.

The Cubs traded their number one prospect for Aroldis Chapman despite him doing something far worse than drunk driving. Josh Hamilton signed a 5/125 contract with a much longer history with much more dangerous substances than anything JJ has been popped for. Shin Soo Choo signed for 7/130 after his drunk driving arrest.

Sure, if this had happened on July 15 JJ isn't getting dealt. Now let's imagine Lucroy takes a foul ball off the mask tomorrow & misses the rest of the year with a concussion. Does that mean we dodged a bullet by trading him because something happened after the trade that maybe could have happened (but ultimately didn't) before the trade?

Now let's imagine Lucroy takes a foul ball off the mask tomorrow & misses the rest of the year with a concussion. Does that mean we dodged a bullet by trading him because something happened after the trade that maybe could have happened (but ultimately didn't) before the trade?

Exactly. There was about a 0% chance that Jeffress was going to get arrested for DWI in Texas if he hadn't been traded. Who knows if he ever put himself in the position to be arrested for DWI in Wisconsin, or if he had, if he would have been caught.

Bummed for him. Ultimately it's his fault, but sometimes these things are beyond us, or hard to control. I read his apology last night and he took full responsibility it seemed. That's all I ask when a public figure comes clean. I wish him well.

Now let's imagine Lucroy takes a foul ball off the mask tomorrow & misses the rest of the year with a concussion. Does that mean we dodged a bullet by trading him because something happened after the trade that maybe could have happened (but ultimately didn't) before the trade?

Exactly. There was about a 0% chance that Jeffress was going to get arrested for DWI in Texas if he hadn't been traded. Who knows if he ever put himself in the position to be arrested for DWI in Wisconsin, or if he had, if he would have been caught.

I think that is different because as a catcher that comes with the territory as a player. With Jeffress he is a high risk because of his history and past actions outside the baseball field. Some can be explained and he appears remorseful but he continues to put himself into these positions

The Cubs traded their number one prospect for Aroldis Chapman despite him doing something far worse than drunk driving. Josh Hamilton signed a 5/125 contract with a much longer history with much more dangerous substances than anything JJ has been popped for. Shin Soo Choo signed for 7/130 after his drunk driving arrest.

Sure, if this had happened on July 15 JJ isn't getting dealt. Now let's imagine Lucroy takes a foul ball off the mask tomorrow & misses the rest of the year with a concussion. Does that mean we dodged a bullet by trading him because something happened after the trade that maybe could have happened (but ultimately didn't) before the trade?

Cubs traded for him way after the fact. Look at what the Yankees gave up...that is what I am referring to. When it is fresh in the minds.

We dodged a bullet because Jeremy Jeffress has probably had alcohol problems for a long time. Getting a DWI is a lot more predictable than taking a foul ball off the mask. That is more of a freak injury not something bound to happen. Jeremy Jeffress getting caught DWI was bound to happen eventually(assuming this isn't a one time thing...which it appears to be).

If this happened at any point this season we probably won't get good value for Jeffress and he is never traded. That means no trade with the Rangers and no Brinson...who has destroyed in his short Brewers career. I am not saying we would never be able to trade him ever again and I am not saying it would destroy his value from ever regaining to what it was prior.

We dodged a bullet because Jeremy Jeffress has probably had alcohol problems for a long time.

except you don't know that, you're just making an assumption based off one incident.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

We dodged a bullet because Jeremy Jeffress has probably had alcohol problems for a long time.

except you don't know that, you're just making an assumption based off one incident.

Yes very good, I said probably. He checked himself into a month long rehab. 100% he has some bad alcohol issues(maybe marijuana) and if you think he hasn't driven drunk many times before...well...that's pretty positive thinking by you. You don't check into rehab because you drank a few and drove drunk by accident once. You check into rehab because you have a serious problem and it didn't happen just once.

Yes very good, I said probably. He checked himself into a month long rehab. 100% he has some bad alcohol issues(maybe marijuana) and if you think he hasn't driven drunk many times before...well...that's pretty positive thinking by you. You don't check into rehab because you drank a few and drove drunk by accident once. You check into rehab because you have a serious problem and it didn't happen just once.

Maybe. It could be a PR thing too(Manziel?). I am not sure how much he truly had, but it is possible that he does have a serious issue. It is also possible that he is trying to save face. I would be surprised if he stays for the entire month.

I say this as someone who has dealt with this situation with a family member. It was more to save face than anything else. If that makes sense.

I think the fact that his agent is involved on this board has had a significant effect on the responses to this.

That being said, I think his statement seemed heartfelt and went beyond a lot of the normal ones you see in this situation, so I hope he uses this experience to better himself and do good in the community.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived