Brewer Fanatic

Hernan Perez

reillymcshane
perez is starting in center tonight. who saw that coming in spring training?

He's certainly athletic enough. I did bring it up as a possibility before Broxton came on strong and they traded for Brinson. If versatility is his ticket to a long major league career, I'm sure he's not going to fight it.

I'm still amazed that last October the Brewers took him off their roster. What were they thinking? I liked him last year when he only played two positions and hadn't flashed HR power but did show gap power. They were very fortunate he took them up on their offer for a AAA contract and didn't sign elsewhere.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What were they thinking? I liked him last year when he only played two positions and hadn't flashed HR power but did show gap power. They were very fortunate he took them up on their offer for a AAA contract and didn't sign elsewhere.

They were probably thinking that he was a career below replacement level player and if he signed elsewhere, he signed elsewhere.

What were they thinking? I liked him last year when he only played two positions and hadn't flashed HR power but did show gap power. They were very fortunate he took them up on their offer for a AAA contract and didn't sign elsewhere.

They were probably thinking that he was a career below replacement level player and if he signed elsewhere, he signed elsewhere.

And every other team had a shot at him on waivers. Maybe they had a verbal contract agreement with him before they put him on waivers.

Just a reminder that Perez hasn't hit a home run in a month and still hardly walks at all. His OPS is about that of Scooter Gennett.

I like Perez and he has a lot of value in his defensive versatility, but if he can't achieve some consistency at the plate and walk a little more, he'll never be more than just a versatile backup.

Please don't take this as me dumping on Perez. This was his best season yet by far and with this season under his belt, I could definitely see him improving into next year, but I just ask that people don't mark him down on the 2017 roster anywhere but the bench, because right now that's where he has most value.

An OBP below .310 is low. An OBP below .300 is a cause for concern. An OBP in the .280s or lower starts to become a disqualifying factor for significant playing time or even for a roster spot. Right now, offensively, Hernán's OBP is teetering between "low" and "cause for concern." But it's up from last year, and it's close to his .305 OBP in the minors.

But the defensive versatility is valuable. There wouldn't be sample sizes to rely on stats, but he seems comfortable at all these positions, and he seems to pass the eye test. How much he offers boils down to offense, though. If he sits at a .280 OBP, he's probably a good 25th man to have. If his OBP is at .300 or better, he can start several times a week, giving a day off to whoever is ahead of him at whichever position he takes.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would pencil (not pen) Perez in at 3B for 2017, but with some spring training competition (Cecchini and/or a vet like A.Hill). The fallback would be him being a super-sub which as has been stated is still very valuable for a NL club.

One thing that doesn't get brought up much is Perez's SB numbers. Think about 2017 with Perez, Villar, Broxton and Arcia getting starting AB's the whole season. 170+ SB's from those 4.

perez is starting in center tonight. who saw that coming in spring training?

He's certainly athletic enough. I did bring it up as a possibility before Broxton came on strong and they traded for Brinson. If versatility is his ticket to a long major league career, I'm sure he's not going to fight it.

I'm still amazed that last October the Brewers took him off their roster. What were they thinking? I liked him last year when he only played two positions and hadn't flashed HR power but did show gap power. They were very fortunate he took them up on their offer for a AAA contract and didn't sign elsewhere.

They were thinking that Perez has shown the inability to drive the ball and steal 30+ bases, not just last year but the previous years he had MLB stints as well. He was also 15lbs heavier last year and definitely not as strong as he is now. Is it really that difficult to believe?

He made a slight swing change in the offseason. He worked extremely hard to put himself in the best position possible to take his game to the next level. Everything he's shown this year he didn't flash at all last year outside of good defense in the IF. I liked him as well last year as a backup because he plays good defense, is versatile and hits for a solid average for a role player. Plus he's young. There's no way you, or anyone else, thought he was going to hit 13HR with 31SB.

Perez should not be seen as a "core player" with this org because he isn't one. Core players are players that you need. You don't need a Perez. But they're good to have. He's absolutely valuable given his versatility in the field combined with some pop and speed *now*. If Scooter is traded and nobody else is signed as a FA then I can see him starting at 3b but if he's in the super utility role he's not spelling Villar, Arcia, Carter much at all OR anyone in the OF if Braun/Puig, Broxton, Santana are healthy. And if we have a solid 4th OF next year Perez is competing with that person for PT in the OF too. He'll still get plenty of time on the field though. He should still be a Brewer for the next 2-3yrs+ for sure given the current state of the org.

They were thinking that Perez has shown the inability to drive the ball and steal 30+ bases, not just last year but the previous years he had MLB stints as well. He was also 15lbs heavier last year and definitely not as strong as he is now. Is it really that difficult to believe?

He made a slight swing change in the offseason. He worked extremely hard to put himself in the best position possible to take his game to the next level. Everything he's shown this year he didn't flash at all last year outside of good defense in the IF. I liked him as well last year as a backup because he plays good defense, is versatile and hits for a solid average for a role player. Plus he's young. There's no way you, or anyone else, thought he was going to hit 13HR with 31SB.

Perez should not be seen as a "core player" with this org because he isn't one. Core players are players that you need. You don't need a Perez. But they're good to have. He's absolutely valuable given his versatility in the field combined with some pop and speed *now*. If Scooter is traded and nobody else is signed as a FA then I can see him starting at 3b but if he's in the super utility role he's not spelling Villar, Arcia, Carter much at all OR anyone in the OF if Braun/Puig, Broxton, Santana are healthy. And if we have a solid 4th OF next year Perez is competing with that person for PT in the OF too. He'll still get plenty of time on the field though. He should still be a Brewer for the next 2-3yrs+ for sure given the current state of the org.

I disagree. In my three decades of rooting for the Brew Crew, it was always the injuries that derailed promising seasons, or which lead to a hurried trade that cost the Brewers down the road.

I think that having good backups can be just as important, not only for the short term (filling in for the injured player), but the long term as well (the prospects you don't trade in a panic to keep a season going can help the team 2-3 years down the road). This sort of backup doesn't come along often. When you have him, keep him. He may well save a season, he may well keep the Crew from having to trade prospects for a fill-in.

I don't think anyone is suggesting getting rid of Perez (without digging too deep in the thread ), but simply calling him a quality backup rather than a starter type.

I see him as a perfect fit for the role he occupies currently, a versatile supersub who can play anywhere and should get 3-4 starts a week, more when injuries hit.

Nope, just some are pretty lukewarm on his value. Guys like him are often times difference makers. Depth all around the diamond in one man. When we are hopeful contenders, I hope he's still here, healthy and ready.

He needs to be on the bench. This is a guy who gets signed to a long-term deal NOW.

Nope, just some are pretty lukewarm on his value. Guys like him are often times difference makers. Depth all around the diamond in one man. When we are hopeful contenders, I hope he's still here, healthy and ready.

He needs to be on the bench. This is a guy who gets signed to a long-term deal NOW.

There is absolutely no reason to ever consider extending Perez. Explain why that makes any sense? He isn't that good and will never be expensive.

We can control him 4 years. No need to actually commit anything long term when we don't have to.

Perez is 5th on the Brewers in WAR despite only playing in 116 games (4th actually since Lucroy is no longer on the team). He has value. Not saying he should be extended but he's a valuable piece moving forwards.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Wasn't a fan of Perez' PH ab, 2 men on 3-1, fouls off a ball that would have hit him, then swings at a ball that was closer to his ankles than the strike zone for 3rd out. ABs like that and unable to take Ball 4 leaves me to believe more luck on guessing than on a batters eye. Not someone I see as Starter. I'd try to trade him back to Detroit, be their backup utility for SS and 3b. Gerson Moreno Hard throwing Bullpen arm.

Wasn't a fan of Perez' PH ab, 2 men on 3-1, fouls off a ball that would have hit him, then swings at a ball that was closer to his ankles than the strike zone for 3rd out. ABs like that and unable to take Ball 4 leaves me to believe more luck on guessing than on a batters eye. Not someone I see as Starter. I'd try to trade him back to Detroit, be their backup utility for SS and 3b. Gerson Moreno Hard throwing Bullpen arm.

I've seen Ryan Braun have some God awful at bats, too.

Archived