Brewer Fanatic

Hernan Perez

reillymcshane

The return for Scooter should be secondary. The huge advantage to him no longer in the lineup is the significant upgrade defensively with Perez in there. I could definitely see Stearns keeping Scooter hoping he builds on this year a bit then flips at the deadline next year. That allows Perez to sit in the super utility and play the role as main backup IF while being the 5th OF as well (Braun, Broxton, Santana, maybe Kirk again). Regardless, Scooter needs to be moved in the relatively near future and being 26 having a nice bounce back season someone will be willing to take him during his arby years since he's controllable for another 3yrs. Perez needs to start full time as soon as Scooter is traded to increase his value then flip him. He can be a contributor on a good team in the super utility role and isn't a FA until 2021.

Regarding LH bats. My view is it's great to have if they're good players and make an impact otherwise it's pointless. You don't acquire LH bats just to have them. If you have 9 Braun's you're not losing. Villar, Phillips, Ray, Diaz, Erceg, Clark - all can hit so it'll be great to have.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed with those who want to see Scooter traded in the offseason. He's not versatile at all and he's about to get more expensive. I also don't see the LH as a real big deal at this point of the rebuild.

He's just not a good fit for where we're at, and him being a lefty isn't a good enough reason to keep him around IMO.

What kind of return for Scooter? Bag of peanuts? I'm prepping myself to be underwhelmed. He just seems like a guy to me. Streaky too.

Not much, probably. But I didn't expect much for Segura after last season, either after his 2015 season.

Scooter is probably worth a Supak or Freddy Peralta type arm. But I'd take it rather than paying him millions in arbitration. You could just non-tender him, but I think he's better than that.

I'm all for defensive versatility and wouldn't mind moving on from Scooter but somebody has to play 2b. There's enough versatility that it's not a big deal if Scooter is limited to 2b.

I'd go with Villar at 2nd, whose bat would play very well there and he should be at least adequate defensively.

I like Hernan a lot. Like everyone else, I wish he walked more, but he's a tough minded competitor. I was thinking the same thing about Villar at second and Perez at third. It may seem natural that way, but it occurs to me that the situation could be flipped, with Perez at second and Villar at third. I'm just not ruling it out that way. Perez can play second. I'd trust the staff to figure out which one goes where.

Perez played some first the other day. I wasn't watching but if I heard correctly, Rock and BA were saying Perez did really well at first. The guy has really made himself into a nice piece, and there is still some potential upside to go.

Scooter to me has some good qualities but I just don't see him as a winning type of ballplayer. When we are hoping to compete, he's not the guy.

I like Hernan a lot. Like everyone else, I wish he walked more, but he's a tough minded competitor. I was thinking the same thing about Villar at second and Perez at third. It may seem natural that way, but it occurs to me that the situation could be flipped, with Perez at second and Villar at third. I'm just not ruling it out that way. Perez can play second. I'd trust the staff to figure out which one goes where.

Perez played some first the other day. I wasn't watching but if I heard correctly, Rock and BA were saying Perez did really well at first. The guy has really made himself into a nice piece, and there is still some potential upside to go.

Scooter to me has some good qualities but I just don't see him as a winning type of ballplayer. When we are hoping to compete, he's not the guy.

Pretty much my thoughts on Scooter. I'm hoping eventually Diaz will be the guy.

Scooter is a guy, for a team hoping to contend, if they had a black hole at 2nd and needed a cheap option that would give them a chance, you could do worse than Scooter. But he's not someone you look to build around coming out of a rebuild.

On Perez, with Luc gone he's turned into my favorite Brewer. Plays great D and has a good bat. I hope he draws some walks and is playing regularly. When competitive it would be nice to have him as that super sub with some lefties in the corners.

I'm not sure Villar's glove plays anywhere. He was barely passable at SS, and he's been worse than Braun was at 3B. I wouldn't trust him at 2B either.

Stick Perez at 3B, deal Villar this winter to an AL team where he can DH and be done with it.

I'm not sure Villar's glove plays anywhere. He was barely passable at SS, and he's been worse than Braun was at 3B. I wouldn't trust him at 2B either.

Stick Perez at 3B, deal Villar this winter to an AL team where he can DH and be done with it.

It's true that Villar's defense hasnt been good this year, but in the past he's been just a bit below average. He's never going to be a great fielding infielder, but he can be passable enough where a lot of teams could find a place for him somewhere as a starter. You don't banish a 25 year old rising player to DH unless they're a catastrophically bad fielder, and he's not at that level.

Braun was that bad, at 3rd. Villar is not worse than Braun was at 3rd. Villar isn't even in the same universe as Braun was at 3rd. Braun is about as bad of an outfielder as Villar is an infielder, and he's been sticking there just fine.

Villar should be put at 2B and never moved again. That's part of the problem is that he's been jerked around too much. He's a 2B so just move on from Scooter and let him be an all star at 2B.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At this point Hernan reminds me (kind of...... don't get all over my case) of a young Aramis Ramirez. Good average, decent power, doesn't take many walks.

I'm not saying Perez will turn into the next Aramis Ramirez. I don't think he has his power ceiling. But I think Perez is a guy who will probably hit .275 and knock 20 dingers, if not 25. I'd like to see him get up around 35 or 40 walks, instead of the 20 -25 he's on pace for a full season, but it's not like he doesn't have value playing every day like he does now.

He is better than Braun at 3B. Way more range. Braun racked up errors and had little range.

Uh ok...

He is better than Braun at 3B. Way more range. Braun racked up errors and had little range.

I know BA and Schroeder continue to praise Villar's defense (they see their job as boosters not reporters), but what games are you watching? Villar's committed more errors than anyone in baseball. He's got a worse FP at 3B than Braun had. Watch a game broadcast from the visiting team and the picture isn't so rosy. When setting the Brewer defense in the first inning, opposing team's broadcaster will invariably mention that Villar's leading the major league in errors. He was on pace for 25+ errors at SS and his FP at 3B is a putrid .875. Villar's never been a good defensive player. His first 2 years in Houston, he made 34 errors in 135 games at SS.

Braun's range at 3B wasn't the problem. He was just a lousy fielder and erratic at times throwing. Villar's range? I don't see him as having great range. Assuming he'll be fine at 2B is a huge mistake. He's hardly ever played there and it's not his natural position.

Villar's a fine offensive player, but he takes too many dumb chances on the bases, gets picked off too often and he's a terrible defensive player for a team who's pitching staff needs all the help it can get.

Among players with at least 100 PAs this year, there is an almost 65% positive correlation between walks and HRs. The more power someone displays, the more they are going to pitch around them, try for the corners, or intentionally walk them, and thus walks will increase.

Qualitatively I see Perez laying off of more pitches, not trying to do too much, etc. More plate discipline is needed, but still only 25 and with the Brewers where they are he has shown more than enough to give him a chance to see if he is a late bloomer, somewhat like Nelson Cruz. Unlikely he develops that much power, but Cruz didn't walk much at all until age 27.

Among players with at least 100 PAs this year, there is an almost 65% positive correlation between walks and HRs. The more power someone displays, the more they are going to pitch around them, try for the corners, or intentionally walk them, and thus walks will increase.

Qualitatively I see Perez laying off of more pitches, not trying to do too much, etc. More plate discipline is needed, but still only 25 and with the Brewers where they are he has shown more than enough to give him a chance to see if he is a late bloomer, somewhat like Nelson Cruz. Unlikely he develops that much power, but Cruz didn't walk much at all until age 27.

I'd argue the correlation between power and BB is the fact that guys who identify strikes better will hit the strikes harder as a result.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd argue the correlation between power and BB is the fact that guys who identify strikes better will hit the strikes harder as a result.

Chris Carter can't identify anything well and he does fine.

Chris Carter can't identify anything well and he does fine.

He's actually 135th out of 154 qualified hitters in O swing %. He hardly ever swings at pitches outside of the zone.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=15&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=4,d&page=3_50

Where Carter fails is his ability to make contact at all. He's 151st out of the same 154 in Z-Contact percentage. He swings and misses on strikes more than just about anyone.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Perez has shown the ability to play all over the field without it adversely affecting him offensively or defensively. That's valuable, and that's why I think the best role for him is as a super-sub, playing nearly every day at the position he's needed.

If we get a great offer for a Gennett or Villar, then it may make sense to trade them, giving Perez an everyday position, but otherwise just let Perez get his PAs in the "Ben Zobrist role."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Perez has shown the ability to play all over the field without it adversely affecting him offensively or defensively. That's valuable, and that's why I think the best role for him is as a super-sub, playing nearly every day at the position he's needed.

If we get a great offer for a Gennett or Villar, then it may make sense to trade them, giving Perez an everyday position, but otherwise just let Perez get his PAs in the "Ben Zobrist role."

Plus, if someone gets hurt, Perez can fill in for them with very solid offensive performance.

Juan Pierre is a pretty good counter-argument to that statement. He did a pretty good job of identifying strikes - one of the lowest K rates in the last 40 years - and also had one of the lowest HR rates. Ichiro Suzuki does a pretty good job of identifying strikes too.

Juan Pierre is a pretty good counter-argument to that statement. He did a pretty good job of identifying strikes - one of the lowest K rates in the last 40 years - and also had one of the lowest HR rates. Ichiro Suzuki does a pretty good job of identifying strikes too.

Ichiro has a 34.2 % career O-swing %. That would put him in the top 30% of guys this season. He swings at pitches outside the zone a lot. He almost never swings and misses, however.

Pierre had a much lower 28.5% O-swing %, but like Ichiro almost never swung and missed.

Swinging weakly and making tons of contact no matter where the pitch is, is not what I was talking about.

Plus, if someone gets hurt, Perez can fill in for them with very solid offensive performance.

Yea, that can be very valuable to any team.

Archived