Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 8/24 - Wisconsin on TWC SportsChannel Tonight

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Drew Gagnon at Oklahoma City (Dodgers), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Brandon Woodruff at home vs. Mississippi (Braves), 6:20 PM pre-game, 6:40 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Phil Bickford at Clearwater (Phillies), 5:35 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link (Clearwater feed)

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Trey Supak at home vs. Peoria (Cardinals), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime; expect RHP Miguel Diaz to pitch in a tandem role

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: RHP Nattino Diplan at Great Falls (White Sox), 7:40 PM pre-game, 8:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at the Padres' complex in Peoria, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Tigers, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DSL Tigers 4, DSL Brewers 1

(6 1/2 innings--rain shortened)

DSL Brewers Box Score

Moises Perez was back for this game, caught 3 innings and left after being hit by a pitch. (It was probably just their normal catching rotation policy). Bryan Torres replaced him and went 1-1. Javier Castillo doubled which was the only other Brewers hit today.

Jenri Montas went 4 innings and took the loss although he actually put up some decent numbers (4 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K).

DSL Brewers Game Log

The Rattlers are playing atrocious defense, my goodness, this game might get really ugly.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Corey Ray is one more good game from having his season OPS over .700. everyone who complained about his lack of success in his first 100 ab's in his professional career at the hardest place to hit in all of baseball probably hasnt noticed.

Corey Ray is one more good game from having his season OPS over .700. everyone who complained about his lack of success in his first 100 ab's in his professional career at the hardest place to hit in all of baseball probably hasnt noticed.

He has been on a tear. Walks and extra base hits galore in August.

Final: Brevard County 5, Clearwater 3

Bickford gets first win, Brevard snaps streak

By Donald Rieber, Jr., 27 Outs Baseball

Brevard County Box Score

The 13-game losing streak is over. Three hits each for Corey Ray (3-for-4, 2B, BB) and Wendell Rijo (3-for-4, 2B). Ray has an .856 OPS during the month of August. David Denson (2-for-4) and Dustin Houle (2-for-4) each had multi-hit games as well.

As recapped in the game story Phil Bickford had a nice outing. After his last outing where Bickford walked 6 and reportedly was having trouble gripping the ball in the humidity, it's encouraging to see no walks issued tonight.

Brevard County Game Log

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sky Sox Top OKC 5-1 In Opener

Brinson drives in three and Gagnon strikes out eight in win.

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Boxscore

Lewis Brinson continues to impress, knocking out three hits and driving in three runs in the Sky Sox win over Oklahoma City. Kyle Wren did a nice job at the top of the order, drawing a pair of walks and stealing a base. Yadiel Rivera added two hits.

Brinson is hitting .407 since coming over from Texas in the Lucroy trade. One area to watch regarding Brinson is his walk rate. After producing a 10+% rate last year at AA, Brinson’s walk rate has been cut by more than half this year - and he hasn’t taken any walks in 14 games since Milwaukee acquired him. Of course, when you hit .400+ that’s not a big deal.

Four pitchers - Drew Gagnon, Austin Ross, Sam Freeman and Ben Rowen - combined to allow just one run on seven hits while striking out 15.

Colorado Springs Game Log

He's also a LH bat and is only being hurt if he's hitting for the power the opposite way. It will more of an issue for Isan Diaz who hit a fair amount of HRs to the opposite field than it is for Ray in this short stint.

Still it's been good to see him get on a roll.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Video at the link, interesting AB as he had a slight problem putting the hitter away.

Woodruff posting zeros again for Shuckers

Righty rebounds from off outings by allowing two hits in eight frames

By Josh Jackson / MiLB.com

Brandon Woodruff made the longest start of his pro career Wednesday, but the other half of his battery made sure his arm got quick treatment.

Woodruff's catcher, Jacob Nottingham, promptly gave him an ice bath, dousing him with the water cooler during an on-field interview after the game.

"'Notty' took care of me," Milwaukee's No. 25 prospect said. "That was my first time ever and it took my breath away. Notty did a great job behind the plate."

And Woodruff (8-8) wasn't so bad on the mound. The 23-year-old right-hander allowed two hits and two walks while striking out seven over eight innings in Double-A Biloxi's 5-0 win over visiting Mississippi.

"It was awesome, especially this late in the season," he said. "It felt good to get out there and work a lot of quick innings and keep my team in the game."

The dominant outing represented a return to form for the 2014 11th-rounder, whose Southern League ERA stands at 3.34. Through July, while dealing with the mid-month loss of his brother, Woodruff allowed two runs -- one earned -- over 30 2/3 innings across five starts.

"Just having a great support system ... the Brewers organization has been unbelievable to me and my family. They were great and that made the process a lot easier," he said.

"Getting back with the team and on the field, nobody changed their attitude toward me, and that made it seem like it was back to normal. The guys in the clubhouse are like one big family and that made coming back a lot easier to try not to think about what had happened and be focused on the team."

Woodruff kept rolling through his first two turns in August, allowing a run over 13 innings, but in his next two, he gave up 11 runs over 10 frames.

"That's part of baseball. I had a great month of July and I tried to keep building on that, but sometimes you stumble a little bit," the Mississippi State product said. "This week, I really wanted to get back to attacking the zone -- getting strike one and getting weak contact. I did a good job of that tonight."

Neither of the two knocks he surrendered -- a bloop single by Joey Meneses in the second frame and a successful bunt by Johan Camargo in the sixth -- were hit hard.

"There were a couple guys who made some hard contact, [though]," Woodruff said. "I had a little trouble with guys on first, but we got quick double plays and erased everything. There were a couple hard-hit balls, but for the most part, I was able to keep hitters off balance, and I worked ahead and got soft contact."

He helped provide some run support in the fifth with one out and three men on, bouncing out to second baseman and second-ranked Braves prospect Ozzie Albies. That allowed Nick Ramirez to score from third.

"When I came up to bat with the bases loaded," he said, "all I could think about was putting the ball in play, and I didn't want to hit into a double play and ruin the whole inning. I was just trying to get a good pitch to hit and stay out of a double play."

After a leadoff walk to Jacob Schrader in the seventh, Woodruff retired six straight to end his night. He threw 102 pitches -- 76 for strikes -- but even before Nottingham's ice treatment, he didn't feel any fatigue in his arm.

"That's something I try not to think about it," he said. "I was taking it pitch by pitch, trying to keep my team engaged. They made some really good plays behind me -- [shortstop] Angel Ortega made a great diving play behind me -- and when things are going like that, you don't feel anything."

The great start came a night after Taylor Jungmann tossed eight scoreless frames for the Shuckers.

"That's the thing with starters -- you always want to outdo the guy before you," Woodruff said. "Taylor did a terrific job last night, so that was going to be hard to follow up."

Ramirez smacked a three-RBI double in Biloxi's four-run eighth.

Michael Mader, acquired by Atlanta on Aug. 6, allowed a run on two hits and a walk while striking out five over seven innings, but he fell to 0-1 with a 0.90 ERA through two Double-A starts and his first two outings in the new organization.

- Plato

- Plato

Woodruff continues MGM Park dominance in win

Shuckers take third straight from M-Braves on Wednesday, 5-0

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/2/3/8/197528238/cuts/Woody1_wdwcu28i_88p993y9.jpg

Brandon Woodruff continued the stretch of great starting pitching on Wednesday with eight shutout innings (Chris Birch)

Biloxi Boxscore

With 2 features on the game I don't have anything to add on the pitching.

If you didn't pick up on it between the stories all of the damage was done by the bottom of the order hit wise (including Coulter as a PH), Biloxi had just 2 hits going into the 8th. At that point it was 10 total hits between 3 games covering 23 offensive innings, and it would have been enough for a 3rd straight win but I'm sure Woodruff appreciated the insurance runs. I keep begging for this team to finish on a high note offensively but it's not happening, maybe I should start posting that I hope they will suck to end the season, maybe play the reverse psychology angle for a change of pace?

Biloxi Recap

- Plato

- Plato

Peoria Beats Rattlers 11-5

Wisconsin's playoff chances take a hit as team commits four errors in loss

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/6/8/4/197551684/cuts/Clark_PlayerOftheGame_8_24_vovn0ekf_o5vcpaxd.jpg

Trent Clark went 1-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI for the Timber Rattlers on Wednesday night. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

Blah, just blah. MH noted the continued shutdown of the college arms, which honestly irks me. I get it, but if you're going to shut them down then why promote them up from Helena into the playoff race in the first place? When they get shut down, what's left behind? It's entirely possible the current regime doesn't care at all about the Rattlers making the post season, and if that's the case then I guess I have nothing to complain about because I can definitely get behind the argument of development trumping everything else including winning and losing.

The Rattlers bunted to win again very early in the game, in the 3rd, and Trent Clark gave the out away without advancing the runners by bunting it right back to the pitcher. His first bunt attempt actually went up into the radio booth and Chris caught it, which provided some comedic enjoyment for the rest of the game. The Rattlers eventually scored 2 runs in the inning, but damn if I don't hate bunting with the top of the order that early in the game. Once again I do understand all of the development angles in play with it, but from a strategic standpoint it doesn't make sense giving outs away when you are already down by 4 runs early. Erickson is an excellent manager and teacher of the game, but this one thing just sticks in my craw and has driven me batty over the years.

For those interested in Will Middlebrooks, he did go 2-4 tonight. Jonathan Oquendo (2-4) had the only other multi hit game.

Miguel Diaz was good in his first 2 innings, he was coming from a high 3/4 arm slot and hitting spots fairly well, though he occasionally got sloppy with his mechanics on his breaking stuff, he was finishing completely different at times throwing the curve, it just looked out of place. His 3rd inning got away from him when his arm slot started moving around again, he left the ball up and over the plate, which isn't a recipe for success at any level of baseball.

I've watched Trey Supak pitch 3-4 times now, there's nothing sexy with him, he's kind of average for A ball across the board, though his FB does bump up to 94. He get's a fair amount of strike outs with out a MLB level out pitch which is probably the most interesting thing about him at this point. With some improved quality in his off speed stuff and his command (he's generally around the plate) he might be something, but it's too early to tell.

Wisconsin Recap

Postgame Post – August 24, 2016

Bonus Video!

- Plato

- Plato

My understanding is that it is tougher on RH hitters than LH hitters - I believe the wind blows in from LF making it tough on RH pull hitters, but for RF it is more of a cross-wind and doesn't sap quite as much power for LH pull hitters. Please correct me (politely) if this is not correct.

Obviously not every ball is pulled and for good hitters many will be hit opposite field.

My understanding is that it is tougher on RH hitters than LH hitters - I believe the wind blows in from LF making it tough on RH pull hitters, but for RF it is more of a cross-wind and doesn't sap quite as much power for LH pull hitters. Please correct me (politely) if this is not correct.

Obviously not every ball is pulled and for good hitters many will be hit opposite field.

this could partly explain Nick Ramirez's 19HR and productive year during his age 23 season at Brevard.

Archived