Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

Part of the reason why people are so sure the deal will get done this offseason and not later is that Braun's 10 and 5 rights kick in next May.

That is great and all but he already has power to block most trades. The only teams not on his no trade list that are even possible landing spots are the Dodgers and a long shot the Giants. If a trade doesn't work out with the Dodgers he might as well have 10-5 rights. I am simply saying a trade may not materialize period if the Dodgers go a different route which is a very possible thing. I don't think he is all but gone as the off season will give them many other good options.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know when he submits his no-trade list for the 2017 season? Is that something he'd do in spring, or immediately after the World Series?

I don't, and Braun has changed the teams on his "OK" list over the years, but if I had to guess, I'd say the Dodgers would be his preferred destination, considering location, and contending status.

Yah the Dodgers have consistently been off his no trade list every year. This last year he took off every non west coast team minus the Marlins though. This most likely due to his growing family and wanting to be close to home. No trade clause won't be an issue with the Dodgers.

The only teams not on his no trade list

The only teams currently not on his no trade list. Hence my question about the timing of when he submits a new list.

If he submits a new list the day after the World Series and makes himself available to more teams, that obviously helps the Brewers' leverage. A new list could also hurt the Brewers' leverage even further.

I think Braun wants to do what is best for the Brewers within reason at this point. He knows the Dodgers are a main target, in this recent article he seemed to show interest in being traded there, so I wouldn't worry about them being put on his no-trade list.

I think if the Dodgers still want him, he'll probably be traded before the calendar year is over. If the Dodgers decide to go elsewhere, I think there's a very good chance Braun stays a Brewer for 2017.

But the Dodgers are too good of a match and have the talent that it would take to get him. Really wouldn't be surprised if Braun is a Dodger before Thanksgiving.

I think it's great that the Brewers are working closely with Braun on this possible trade. The more players that hear how great Milwaukee treats their players, the better. In the long run that will pay dividends somewhere.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Once that is resolved, now you're just talking about value. And Ryan Braun is worth a top pitching prospect any way you slice it.

Actually they would need to take on McCarthy AND Yasiel Puig (baggage and contract, which any team could have claimed off waivers BTW)

just to land a couple of mid-level prospects.

If the Brewers could have traded Braun by himself for a top pitching prospect at any point this season, they would have done it in a heartbeat.

None was offered. Hence, Braun is still a Brewer.

Which makes all the Brewer fans that overrate him happy, it seems.

I don't think it's accurate to describe Puig's value as a guy who 'any team could have just claimed off waivers.' Claimed yes, obtained, no. If you describe Puig that way, you have to describe Braun that way. If Puig could have been obtained free and clear off waivers, he'd be a Brewer now.

I agree with the first part of your post, however. Ryan Braun is only worth what the trade market says he is. We can cite his numbers, credentials, and contract til we're blue in the face, but if no one will give us a top pitching prospect for him, he's not worth one.

Is Braun eligible to be traded right after the World Series?

Yep.

He is, and keep in mind, this is a weak year for free agents. It's not the typical year where a big market team can throw money at a hole in their roster - there will be motivation to make trades.

This whole thing really screams, "LAD" - they have the need, the prospects, and the motivation to get Braun, and the Brewers have now proven they're willing to sort out the money.

If Braun were to choose a place to go other than Milwaukee, the Dodgers are his hometown team, the team he rooted for as a kid, who play right where he still lives, and will be raising his kids .... I think we've made a Love Connection.

Part of the reason why people are so sure the deal will get done this offseason and not later is that Braun's 10 and 5 rights kick in next May.

That is great and all but he already has power to block most trades. The only teams not on his no trade list that are even possible landing spots are the Dodgers and a long shot the Giants. If a trade doesn't work out with the Dodgers he might as well have 10-5 rights. I am simply saying a trade may not materialize period if the Dodgers go a different route which is a very possible thing. I don't think he is all but gone as the off season will give them many other good options.

Possible? Yes. Very Possible? Disagree. Who are these other teams you think are going to get involved since you think there will be so many? You said the White Sox and Os put in claims too so there's interest on their end. But who are they trading that's equal to or better than Braun?

I think Stearns is immediately on the phone the moment he's able to and gets this finalized. Clearly he's happy with one of the prospects he's getting in return and everything else is already in place - just need to finalize that 2nd prospect. I just don't see LA kicking the tires everywhere before making a decision with the Brewers. They're getting rid of a headache in Puig and McCarthy's spot getting Braun in return for 4-5yrs. No reason to look elsewhere unless you want a "not as good of a player as Braun" to give up lesser prospects.

Can teams still have discussions on players now? Or do those have to stop until after the World Series?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes. Very Possible? Disagree. Who are these other teams you think are going to get involved since you think there will be so many? You said the White Sox and Os put in claims too so there's interest on their end. But who are they trading that's equal to or better than Braun?

I think Stearns is immediately on the phone the moment he's able to and gets this finalized. Clearly he's happy with one of the prospects he's getting in return and everything else is already in place - just need to finalize that 2nd prospect.

1. Puig means little. The real problem is the Dodgers finding a better option or at least something they like more than Braun. They liked Braun in August, but then again he was the only option you could get for that kind of caliber player. It is impossible to know if that will happen or not so early.

2. I don't see the Dodgers rushing to do a deal early in the off season. It isn't like teams will be lining up to get Braun. Dodgers will be like any team and assess what they have and their options after the season. It takes two to tango and there is little reason for the Dodgers to rush into a Braun trade and watch a better option pop up weeks later. I don't think Stearns will jump on the phone sounding desperate to get it done either. He will wait till other teams start to hop on the phones in December to see what other offers are out there.

That being said I think the deal happens around the winter meetings. A lot can change quickly though.

Yes. Very Possible? Disagree. Who are these other teams you think are going to get involved since you think there will be so many? You said the White Sox and Os put in claims too so there's interest on their end. But who are they trading that's equal to or better than Braun?

I think Stearns is immediately on the phone the moment he's able to and gets this finalized. Clearly he's happy with one of the prospects he's getting in return and everything else is already in place - just need to finalize that 2nd prospect.

1. Puig means little. The real problem is the Dodgers finding a better option or at least something they like more than Braun. They liked Braun in August, but then again he was the only option you could get for that kind of caliber player. It is impossible to know if that will happen or not so early.

2. I don't see the Dodgers rushing to do a deal early in the off season. It isn't like teams will be lining up to get Braun. Dodgers will be like any team and assess what they have and their options after the season. It takes two to tango and there is little reason for the Dodgers to rush into a Braun trade and watch a better option pop up weeks later. I don't think Stearns will jump on the phone sounding desperate to get it done either. He will wait till other teams start to hop on the phones in December to see what other offers are out there.

That being said I think the deal happens around the winter meetings. A lot can change quickly though.

1. Yes. That's the point I've been making since the beginning. The Dodgers are going to have problems finding someone equal to or better than Braun. Which is why you can't answer the question I've posed several times now about who are these "many teams" that are going to get involved for Puig. When Braun is sitting right in front of your face you don't kick the tires for a better offer. The Dodgers want nothing to do with Puig anymore and they get Braun to replace him. If someone calls they're going to pick up the phone but they're not calling every team fishing for offers.

Correct, it's a 2 way street. Everyone knows what the Dodgers are getting for Puig (Braun). Very, very few are in a position to compete with that where it makes sense on their end to pursue. But everyone also knows that it's taking Puig + 2 talented prospects to get Braun. Meaning if the Dodgers want Braun they can't sit on their hands because every day that goes by is a chance for one other team to try to acquire Braun then they're still sitting with Puig more than likely taking a worse offer to rid themselves of him. Same goes for Stearns too though - given the size of Braun's contract (will turn into a deal for a team) not everyone can take that on in combination with his no-trade list. There are obstacles to overcome in getting rid of Braun so when you have a deal in your face that returns Puig + 2 talented prospects you're going to take it (especially if you like the prospects). The Dodgers don't need to rush just like Stearns doesn't need to sound desperate. What they need to do is have a conversation around who the 2nd prospect is and then it's a done deal. 95% of the work is already completed as it was almost finalized last week. It just makes an insane amount of sense on both sides all the way down to greater LA is where Braun grew up and currently lives and they're a playoff team. If the trade happens during winter, and not right after the WS, it's because both teams agreed to speak at that point in time - it's already been discussed.

And a better option can always pop up after a trade is completed. That can be said regarding every trade.

Also, while it would be fantastic to land De Leon, I don't think that's happening due to looking at what we got in return for Lucroy. Different positions, age, salary, years of control between the two players, and Braun is better, but for Lucroy you basically got Brinson (Ortiz/Cordell for Jeffress falls more in line with Bickford/Susac for Smith). So getting a 26yr old MLB established Puig (all-star talent) in return already I find it difficult to believe a top of rotation arm, who's rated 1 spot ahead of Hader, is coming along with him in addition to another prospect. I don't care how much LA wants to get rid of Puig I can't see them parting with De Leon unless we're adding someone (of course I hope I'm wrong). Now, I can understand a case for one of Alvarez/Buehler/Sheffield/Sborz as the higher rated prospect given age/level and I'd personally be extremely happy with that. That's what I'm expecting best case if this trade happens but I'm always hoping De Leon just like everyone else.

So do we want Puig to do well for the remainder of the year of stink it up? If he stinks his value to them is even less and we get better prospects. But if he stinks he's probably not a great addition anyways.

Which is why you can't answer the question I've posed several times now about who are these "many teams" that are going to get involved for Puig.

And a better option can always pop up after a trade is completed. That can be said regarding every trade.

Forget about Puig for like 5 seconds. I am not talking about the Dodgers finding a better deal surrounding dumping Puig. I am talking about finding a different big time player to acquire. In the off season there are going to be more players on the block. There are going to be other big time players on the block. Now will any of those players be attractive to the Dodgers and will they be interested in those players at their price tags? I don't know and none of us do.

Yes, but once again I am not talking about it in such a general sense. A week or two after the world series very little is going on and teams are still processing the prior season. It is very similar to trading for players in June. The market just isn't there yet and nearly every team in every case will wait till the deadline or in this case around the winter meetings when teams actually start to move/sign players. Neither team has any motivation to complete this trade before things pick up in the off season.

He's been on a tear since he came back up to MLB. I'm actually a little concerned the Dodgers are going to get cold feet on this if he keeps it up.

He was on a tear before being sent down. Everyone knows Puig has the skills to be great...honestly someone would have to be delusional to not see it. That being said its hard to harness that when you are being an idiot on a weekly basis ticking everyone off. The Dodgers sent him down because they can't stand Puig's attitude etc.

Interestingly, PTI picked up this as about their fourth story on their scroll. They spoke very highly of Braun and thought the Dodgers needed to do it, regardless of who the prospects are. They were stupified as to why Mikwaukee would do it. Tony rattled off Braun's very impressive numbers.

Interestingly, PTI picked up this as about their fourth story on their scroll. They spoke very highly of Braun and thought the Dodgers needed to do it, regardless of who the prospects are. They were stupified as to why Mikwaukee would do it. Tony rattled off Braun's very impressive numbers.

About time we've seen a take on it like that, everything I read the entire season from every local rag trade proposal for Braun had us giving him up for essentially nothing or a bad contract like Sandoval and basically implied that we were just lucky they were willing to take Braun off our hands.

He's been on a tear since he came back up to MLB. I'm actually a little concerned the Dodgers are going to get cold feet on this if he keeps it up.

He was on a tear before being sent down. Everyone knows Puig has the skills to be great...honestly someone would have to be delusional to not see it. That being said its hard to harness that when you are being an idiot on a weekly basis ticking everyone off. The Dodgers sent him down because they can't stand Puig's attitude etc.

The reports on his character have been much more positive since the beginning of August, as well. Of course, that may just be the Dodgers saying what they need to say to try to protect his trade value.

The reports on his character have been much more positive since the beginning of August, as well. Of course, that may just be the Dodgers saying what they need to say to try to protect his trade value.

Yah I haven't heard anything after his call-up, but I am pretty sure someone mentioned he had some incidents in AAA. However I never read such things and don't know how accurate that statement was.

I hope to keep Braun myself unless blown away with top quality pitching.

You are delusional if you think Ryan Braun and his contract will be bringing back top quality pitching.

Ha except LA in the Puig/McCarthy is taking 40million off of Braun's contract. Sure better be a top pitching prospect or hitter coming back. Yadier Alvarez cost 32million. Yusniel Diaz cost 31million. Better believe taking a 78million contract for 4years and reducing it to 36million is worth a top pitching prospect. Nevermind getting rid of the mistakes named Puig and McCarthy who at this point is worse than Matt Garza.

MrTPlush said:

Then why is he still a Brewer? Why are we needing to pick up $30mil+ in salary? Why does no one want him for just the contract no prospects? It actually sounds like the total opposite is true. Not sure how people think Braun still has tons of value and has a team friendly contract. Neither is very accurate.

Next response by MrTPlush

You seem to understand, but don't. He has the power to block the trades to all but 6teams. Atlanta I understood in an article was blocked by Braun in a claim/trade.

Now put Arizona, San Diego, LA Angels, and Miami as 4 of those 6 teams and why bother claiming him this season? None are in the Playoff picture. This leaves 2 teams and 1 of them claimed and tried to trade for Braun. San Fran, well they traded Bickford and Susac. I'd find it hard for Milwaukee to see any ideal prospect to gain worthy of Braun. The two teams had discussions before the deadline so they knew what Braun's value was to Stearns to just know. If we claimed him, He's pulled back and are inability to please Stearns' demands ends all there is to be discussed.

What purpose is it of the other 23 teams to claim Braun, when they are on his no trade clause?

I feel Jose De Leon was the prospect piece unable to agree upon. This was a prospect pitcher who with Hill, Kazmir, and Kershaw had the door open to be called up but wasn't before September. I think his possible involvement in the trade is why he was kept down.

Archived