Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

McCalvy just mentioned that the Dodgers offer for Braun was Puig, McCarthy and 2 un-named minor leaguers...with BMacs salary included, it appeared that money back to LA would be minimal...He stated that the potential deal went to last possible moment, that Braun stayed at the stadium due to feeling it could get done, and that the two teams truly ran out of time to finalize details....Braun will not be a Brewer in 2017 (my opinion).

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also a mention that the Braves got close enough Chipper Jones was trying to persuade Braun to waive his no-trade clause. A trade is plausible, but still hard. The Dodgers are the only interested team that isn't on the no trade list. If one can't work out there I'm not sure he can be traded.

Hard to really gauge an opinion on the near trade not knowing who the minor leaguers were and beyond the return what the Brewers would do with the saved money. In my opinion it goes beyond just the player return because we would save a ton of money. What they do with that can make an iffy player return a lot better.

Without knowing the minor leaguers in the Dodgers offer its hard but Puig and McCarthy do pretty much nothing for me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Without knowing the minor leaguers in the Dodgers offer its hard but Puig and McCarthy do pretty much nothing for me.

McCarthy would basically be the money the Brewers have to eat($23mil). I guess there is a little potential he can pitch well and be flipped to save some of that money or get prospects, but I'd just assume not. He would be much like when we took on Aaron Hill. Puig has solid value and I'd guess the two minor leaguers are Top 10 organizational prospects.

If they aren't I probably wouldn't take that deal and I'm not someone emotionally attached to Braun like a lot are. In such a trade we would be taking on a ton of money. Puig is a nice buy low, but I'd need two more promising players .

McCarthy would basically be the money the Brewers have to eat($23mil). I guess there is a little potential he can pitch well and be flipped to save some of that money or get prospects, but I'd just assume not. He would be much like when we took on Aaron Hill. Puig has solid value and I'd guess the two minor leaguers are Top 10 organizational prospects.

If they aren't I probably wouldn't take that deal and I'm not someone emotionally attached to Braun like a lot are. In such a trade we would be taking on a ton of money. Puig is a nice buy low, but I'd need two more promising players .

Yeah if it included two top ten guys I'm on board. The Dodgers is one team I could still root for Braun as they are my second favorite team. Not that this matters to the Crew lol.

Gavin Lux would be pretty cool to get back being from Wisconsin.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think there were some ready to give Braun away for nothing a year ago just to get him off the books and get rid of the injury/distraction factor. I know not everyone felt that way.

He's had a big rebound year and has regained much of his value. I'd caution against waiting too long and ending up with an injured player on a bad contract. It wouldn't take much. Not to mention he will acquire 10/5 rights next year and be that more difficult to trade.

I agree that McCarthy is basically just included as the salary we have to eat, and 23M and getting a decent vet pitcher for it and a 25 year old with star upside isn't a bad deal IMO, regardless of who the minor leaguers are.

If you're in the camp that thinks Braun will stay healthy and produce in 2019 and 2020, by all means hold out for the deal we want. But if you believe we need to deal him eventually, I wouldn't wait past this offseason, even if we don't get the king's ransom of prospects that we would hope for.

His stock is sitting on the high end of the scale right now. It could get a little higher, but it could get a lot lower.

If one of the arms is DeLeon or Alvarez I would do it.

Agree with others that McCarthy is just a salary balancer.

Puig is a nice gamble to the upside. Could reshow his tools/talent and Stearns will flip him next summer for something worthwhile.

Also, agree with molitor fan that if we came this close to dealing Braun he is all but gone this winter. I hope fans realize this when comes to Sept. 25th (last home game) and he gets an ovation for not only being a top 5 all-time Brewer, but also for handling this year (trade rumors, not trying to be a contender) with maturity and class.

Yeah this whole thing is fascinating. One answer is resolved, though. The Dodgers have legit interest and its a plausible scenario.

The biggest issue is who were the two prospects. We have no idea, obviously. For us to take back a huge salary and a malcontent, I'd imagine they'd be two solid prospects. We wouldn't need to take bavk McCarthy and Puig unless there was something good in it for us.

Didn't McCarthy have one of the bigger anti-Braun rants during the PED scandal? Like Skip Schumaher level if I remember right. If the Dodgers are looking to get rid of him to get Braun... irony.

Yes, and if the Braves somehow end up with Braun, Jim Powell will have to sound happy about it.

Funny how Puig/McCarthy was postulated in the 9th post of this thread. :)

With the luxury tax threshold being $189M and the Dodgers committed to $179M in 2017, Puig/McCarthy combine for $18.2M. Braun is owed $19M; the salaries in 2017 are basically a wash and the Dodgers are $9M under the limit pending other acquisitions.

The Dodgers have a number of position players who will be major league minimum (Barnes, Segedin, Taylor, Thompson, Toles); they should be OK with internal replacements for Utley, Ruiz, Reddick and Turner. They will likely need to let Turner walk to stay under the luxury tax threshold. They will need cheap bullpen help though. In no way is Torres a replacement for Jansen, but the Dodgers might have to let Jansen walk in addition to losing Blanton, Howell, and Chavez (likely let Fien walk too) to stay under the threshold.

If the Brewers are taking on McCarthy then they better be getting at least one of De Leon/Alvarez and one of Bellinger/Buehler/Sheffield. Keibert Ruiz would be a nice get for including Torres, maybe Abdullah or Sborz.

Braun + Torres + another cheap bullpen arm (Rowen/Scahill/Marinez) to LA.

Puig/McCarthy to MIL plus either De Leon/Buehler/Ruiz or Alvarez/Bellinger/Sborz plus another prospect to MIL. Then see what you can get for Puig.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bigger. For the Dodgers to retain Jansen they will need to move another piece (Kendrick, Ethier). The Brewers could take on one of those guys, essentially buying their one-year contracts for additional Dodgers prospects.

Howie Kendrick wouldn't be a bad throw in. Money is off the books after next year. Could be a flip candidate and can play LF, 2B and 3B.

The Braun performance enhancement scandal has been one of the most disappointing/confusing situations in my sports fandom....as a fan, the only Ryan Braun I have ever seen flies fully against a guy that would pull a Bonds and perpetuate a lie/run others into the ground. I still like the guy, think he has been a great teammate and pro, appears to love Milwaukee despite obviously being a SoCal guy, and has been the anti-Weeks as he has been shuffled around the diamond.

If the negative chunk of Braun could be taken away, yes that chunk that guys like Jim Powell(who i love) cannot get past, Braun would have a legacy similar to Yount and Molitor.

As was mentioned above, I think Braun's last game in Milwaukee as a home team player is approaching. I also hope that this is recognized and Braun receives an appropriate warm goodbye

The anti-Weeks? Ryan Braun was pretending to play 3rd base so he was moved to the outfield. Then he was moved from one corner outfield spot to the other...not a huge change. Mind you he got all off season to prepare for each of these moves. Rickie Weeks was asked to learn the outfield(a lot different than 2nd base) mid season with little practice to prepare. That just seems like a weird not so accurate comparison.

That being said Braun has been very professional(minus that one time) his whole career. Acts the way you want, treats the fans how you want, plays how you want, and is just a great personality. It's a shame the PEDs and the whole debacle in general happened. It's that one, very big, black mark on what is a great career/person. Is what it is though.

It was Puig, McCarthy, and two prospects for Braun, allegedly.

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-espn2-broadcast-sept-20-game-giants-dodger-stadium/2016/09/13/

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the breaking news.

Re: What could Braun (or Braun/Thornburg) bring from the Dodgers? Report this post #101

Posted: September 10, 2016, 6:15 PM Post

McCalvy just mentioned that the Dodgers offer for Braun was Puig, McCarthy and 2 un-named minor leaguers...with BMacs salary included, it appeared that money back to LA would be minimal...He stated that the potential deal went to last possible moment, that Braun stayed at the stadium due to feeling it could get done, and that the two teams truly ran out of time to finalize details....Braun will not be a Brewer in 2017 (my opinion).

Brewers have control over Braun for longer than they'd have over Puig. I'm not in the camp that believes Braun will collapse when he turns 34. So the return would have to be a lot more than Puig, who's not been an above average player since 2014.

I'd rather spend $19 or $20 million on a still productive Braun than pay out nearly that much on an oft broken down pitcher and a clubhouse cancer like Puig.

I think this deal would hinge 100% on the quality of the prospects for me and relatedly, how much value the Dodgers are assigning to Puig. I like Puig, but I would want him as a secondary piece to some quality prospects rather than the other way around. I wonder if we would try to get a third team involved to take Puig and funnel more prospects to us?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Nobody is suggesting Braun should be traded for Puig. The Brewers obviously weren't interested either.

Now, if Puig comes along with a trade as a salary dump, fine. But he can't be the main piece coming back. Plain and simple, one of their big time pitchers has to be the centerpiece. I also believe the Braves will be heard from by the time this is done, something tells me Braun could be convinced to go there.

Also, agree with molitor fan that if we came this close to dealing Braun he is all but gone this winter.

I highly disagree. The Dodgers were the only team the Brewers got that close with and the only other team on his no-trade list that has had interest is the Giants. The talks with the Giants didn't appear to get very far. It sound like talks with the Braves got pretty interesting(Chipper Jones getting involved), but Braun can block a trade there.

Sure doesn't sound like there are many teams interested in Braun with the Dodgers/Braves being the only teams getting serious. Dodgers go a different route and its questionable if a deal would happen.

Everyone thought Lucroy was all but gone before the season and he was here opening day.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Braun still here next opening day.

His value isn't going to get higher, we're rebuilding, and his 10/5 rights next season will give him total control over a trade, giving us even more reason to get something done now.

Without knowing who the minor leaguers that LA was including, the fact that Puig was part of the deal and it doesn't sound like we had to eat much salary, makes it seem as though it was a competitive offer.

Archived