Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

Miami's outfield looks OK to me and their starters are all controlled through 2019. I don't think Puig makes sense for them. Would be a nice insurance policy considering they've had some injury problems with outfielders, but I don't think it's a big enough need for them to throw a top prospect into a trade.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If looking for a 3 teamer where Braun goes to Dodgers, Puig to a 3rd team and we get prospects, either the Indians in RF or the Mariners in RF or LF would be good candidates.

But someone is going to need to eat some contracts for Braun to fit into the Dodgers payroll..

A 3 team deal with Puig makes little to no sense. Do you guys think that is going to get us the great prospects we all want? If so you are sadly mistaken. If Puig was worth anything not worthy prospect wise the Dodgers would have traded him long ago. Trading Puig for prospects is not going to net anything great.

MLB Trade Rumors said the Dodgers were offering De Leon straight up for Dozier but Twins want more. It must be true because it's on MLB Trade Rumors and because it's true what does that say about Braun and his contract/age/injuries/PED if he was bringing back a proven AS talent (Puig) + 2 intriguing prospects (because Stearns wouldn't settle for less) while Dozier solely brings De Leon (granted he's a Top 40)??? Just tossing this out here because we all know MLB Trade Rumors only posts facts and not Rumors by unknown sources

MLB Trade Rumors said the Dodgers were offering De Leon straight up for Dozier but Twins want more. It must be true because it's on MLB Trade Rumors and because it's true what does that say about Braun and his contract/age/injuries/PED if he was bringing back a proven AS talent (Puig) + 2 intriguing prospects (because Stearns wouldn't settle for less) while Dozier solely brings De Leon (granted he's a Top 40)??? Just tossing this out here because we all know MLB Trade Rumors only posts facts and not Rumors by unknown sources

Even though Puig has some nice seasons under his belt Puig's value is not very high. De Leon would be way more attractive/valuable. We also have no idea who the two prospects were that could go for us. Probably pretty far down prospect lists than some like to think.

You seem pretty upset that the rumors don't agree with your thoughts on Braun's value. While not all rumors are 100%, there is truth to most of them. I doubt the many rumors about Braun's lack of value are 100% garbage. Good chance they are mostly true.

Also MLBTR didn't say anything. What you are referring to is a completely different source which does matter. Some sources are more reliable than others as I am sure you know.

Just on a side note it's situations like this (similar to the situation with Davis/Santana and Overbay/Fielder) that get me so irritated that MLB refuses to address the DH/no DH issue. In my opinion Brauns contract wouldn't be nearly as bad if we were in the AL and could use him as a full time DH. The fact that we have to throw him out in the field despite his age and injury history while AL teams could take a similar player and let him sit him on the bench but still get 5 at bats a game is crap. I'm sick of this built in roster building advantage that AL teams have because they have the DH. I don't care if they go all DH or no DH. Just pick something and make it uniform throughout the entire league. This isn't 1962 anymore where the only time AL teams play NL teams is in the World Series.

De Leon straight-up for Dozier is a low-ball offer from the Dodger's end. If those are the types of offers they are giving this off-season they won't be making a trade with anyone.

When comparing packages the Twins/Brewers would get back from the Dodgers one has to remember that McCarthy was also included in the Milwaukee deal. He makes a big difference as he is complete dead money to LA and essentially reduces the amount of Braun money by 25%.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
De Leon straight-up for Dozier is a low-ball offer from the Dodger's end. If those are the types of offers they are giving this off-season they won't be making a trade with anyone.

Word is that the Dodgers are being really stingy with their prospects. I don't blame them, but as you note, they seem to be low balling teams. However, the deal with Oakland they made last summer wasn't anything to sneeze at. In the end, I imagine it will be DeLeon and a couple of lower level guys. They are reluctant to give up guys they think could be all-star level players. I don't think they see DeLeon as a top of the rotation guy, but Alvarez and Buehler have that kind of potential (even if they are a lot further away from the majors).

The Dodgers should be peddling Willie Calhoun - he's a DH/LF type best suited for the AL.

Archived