Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

So I'd guess:

Dodgers get:

OF-Ryan Braun (+8.8)

IF-Jonathan Villar (+47.6)

(total = +56.4)

Brewers get:

OF-Yasiel Puig (+19.43)

RHP-Brandon McCarthy (-20)

OF-Alex Verdugo (+38.2)

RHP-Walker Buehler (+10)

OF-Starling Heredia (+5)

(total = +52.63)

I would do this if I were Stearns.

Nice work on the player trade values, BTW.

A more interesting question if the Dodgers aren't interested in Villar would be...

If you are Stearns would you trade,

OF-Ryan Braun (+8.8)

for

RHP-Walker Buehler (+10)

???????????

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best guess at current Dodger prospect surplus values. Top 100 estimates taken from thepointofpittsburgh:

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/mlb-prospect-surplus-values-2016-updated-edition/

1B/OF - Cody Bellinger = 62 million (hitter 11-25)

OF - Alex Verdugo = 38.2 million (hitter 26-50)

RHP - Jose De Leon = 29.8 million (pitcher 26-50)

RHP - Yadier Alvarez = 29.8 million (pitcher 26-50)

2B - Willie Calhoun = 20.6 million (hitter 76-100)

OF - Yusniel Diaz = 20.6 million (hitter 76-100)

RHP - Walker Buehler = 15.6 million (pitcher 76-100)

OF - Andrew Toles = 12 million (posted 1.4 WAR in brief MLB appearance last year, not sure how to value him)

RHP-Jordan Sheffield = 10 million

C - Austin Barnes = 10 million

SS - Gavin Lux = 10 million

C - Will Smith = 10 million

RHP - Brock Stewart = 5 million

OF - Starling Heredia = 5 million

2B - Omar Estevez = 5 million

RHP - Imani Abdullah = 5 million

RHP - Josh Sborz = 5 million

C - Keibert Ruiz = 5 million

RHP - Chase De Jong = 5 million

SS - Brendon Davis = 5 million

RHP - Jacob Rhame = 5 million

OF - Jacob Scavuzzo = 5 million

2B - Micah Johnson = 5 million

RHP - Mitchell White = 5 million

SS - Ronny Brito = 5 million

OF - Johan Mieses = 5 million

OF - D.J. Peters = 5 million

OF - Mitchell Hansen = 5 million

RHP - Yaisel Sierra = 5 million

NOTE : Just upgraded Buehler from 10 million surplus value to 15.6 million surplus value and have updated my previous post as well. Took it from being about a 4 million Dodger advantage to a 2 million dollar Brewer advantage. Still pretty much an even trade IMO.

So I'd guess:

Dodgers get:

OF-Ryan Braun (+8.8)

IF-Jonathan Villar (+47.6)

(total = +56.4)

Brewers get:

OF-Yasiel Puig (+19.43)

OF-Alex Verdugo (+38.2)

RHP-Walker Buehler (+10)

OF-Starling Heredia (+5)

(total = +52.63)

I would do this if I were Stearns.

Nice work on the player trade values, BTW.

A more interesting question if the Dodgers aren't interested in Villar would be...

If you are Stearns would you trade,

OF-Ryan Braun (+8.8)

for

RHP-Walker Buehler (+10)

???????????

Could the Dodgers take on all that salary without taking anyone off their payroll? I was under the assumption that the deal for the Dodgers was to shed some bad contracts.

Could the Dodgers take on all that salary without taking anyone off their payroll? I was under the assumption that the deal for the Dodgers was to shed some bad contracts.

Yeah it was more of a hypothetical Braun "value" question than a realistic one for one idea. Personally, I'd value Buehler more than Braun, but I believe most posters here who overvalue Braun would disagree.

This might be a more realistic actual offer:

OF-Ryan Braun (+8.8)

2B- Scooter Gennett (0?)

for

OF-Yasiel Puig (+19.43)

RHP-Walker Buehler (+15.6)

I would also accept this trade in a heartbeat. Brewers could flip Puig for something later and maybe even get something for McCarthy in the future by absorbing salary.

Unfortuately, I think the "Dodgers interest in Braun" ship has sailed.

I dont get these minor league surplus value. And how does Waljer Buehlers increase? He pitched what? 5innings and was shut down. How does a TJ arm, who gets shut down upon return, increase his value? To me he should have near 0value because of the injury risk. I would never take Buehler thisoffseason for Braun. All the way to next offseason. This is a college arm starting off his professional career on the wrong foot. What? Is his added value based on the 5ip ERA? Because I think Kodi Medeiros went 7ip 0hits allowed his first start. Now he pitched to a 5ish ERA from that point. But at least he continued throwing. Talk about selling high with that value. And at this date with BA's top 10 Brewer prospects, 5being pitchers, why even consider such a risk? He may return to the mound and lost 2-3mphs on his FB. Or last 3 outings again and have to be shelved.

Minors surplus value. How much is that projected with their ceilings vs flameout prospect? You should always be ahead in value from the ML player traded for, because that is a known, vs an approximation.

Someone post to me the Sale trade exchange values. Just for my reference.

Yeah it was more of a hypothetical Braun "value" question than a realistic one for one idea. Personally, I'd value Buehler more than Braun, but I believe most posters here who overvalue Braun would disagree.

OF-Ryan Braun (+8.8)

2B- Scooter Gennett (0?)

for

OF-Yasiel Puig (+19.43)

I would also accept this trade in a heartbeat. Brewers could flip Puig for something later and maybe even get something for McCarthy in the future by absorbing salary.

Stop. Just stop. Because someone doesn't agree with you value of a player doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong or that they are overvaluing someone. Make your posts without being a complete jackass and then it would be great to have these discussions.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I dont get these minor league surplus value. And how does Waljer Buehlers increase? He pitched what? 5innings and was shut down. How does a TJ arm, who gets shut down upon return, increase his value?

This is all you had to say for me really. These values have big flaws in them. If you're going to de-value a player like Braun because of injuries, well you sure as heck better de-value a player that has never done a thing in the majors yet and has gotten hurt.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I dont get these minor league surplus value.

All players have value even minor leaguers. From a few trades I have looked at surplus value numbers get pretty close to matching up. A lot of people think the Eaton trade is bad, but the teams traded off similar surplus value respectively.

OF-Ryan Braun (+8.8)

2B- Scooter Gennett (0?)

for

OF-Yasiel Puig (+19.43)

Stop. Just stop. Because someone doesn't agree with you value of a player doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong or that they are overvaluing someone. Make your posts without being a complete jackass and then it would be great to have these discussions.

Any mods around here? Some of the posting lately has been a little out of hand. We have a few posters who just can't play nicely...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Is the bolded really something that anyone should get worked up about? 'I believe most posters here who overvalue Braun would disagree?' That really offends anyone? That's his opinion that most people here overvalue Braun. So what? He didn't say it in a rude or disrespectful way. Obviously everyone here is giving their opinion. He believes most here overvalue Braun. I personally thought quoting him and telling him that he's being a complete jackass for a pretty mild sentence was more over the top than the original statement quote to be honest.

I mean I'm not advocating for anyone at all to be in 'trouble' with the mods I just don't get what the big deal is about a guy stating that most posters here overvalue Braun. I'm sure some here believe a lot of posters here undervalue Braun. So what? I would simply disagree, but I wouldn't get worked up about it

Is the bolded really something that anyone should get worked up about? 'I believe most posters here who overvalue Braun would disagree?' That really offends anyone? That's his opinion that most people here overvalue Braun. So what? He didn't say it in a rude or disrespectful way. Obviously everyone here is giving their opinion. He believes most here overvalue Braun. I personally thought quoting him and telling him that he's being a complete jackass for a pretty mild sentence was more over the top than the original statement quote to be honest.

I mean I'm not advocating for anyone at all to be in 'trouble' with the mods I just don't get what the big deal is about a guy stating that most posters here overvalue Braun. I'm sure some here believe a lot of posters here undervalue Braun. So what? I would simply disagree, but I wouldn't get worked up about it

Worked up? Calling someone out is not getting worked up. But now you're going to tell someone else what they can and cannot be offended by? Everything he posts is in a snarky tone and written just to be a jerk towards people who do no see it his way. Plenty of other ways to write an opinion than labeling people this or that while doing it. The bolded piece isn't the only piece of this puzzle.

I apologize if that offended anyone. No one respects Brewerfan.net posters more than I do. No one. Believe me.

Maybe if I phrased it simply as "most posters who believe Braun has a high value" it would be less offensive?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Unless it's negative of course.

I sincerely hope someone here understands my sense of humor. :)

I apologize if that offended anyone. No one respects Brewerfan.net posters more than I do. No one. Believe me.

Maybe if I phrased it simply as "most posters who believe Braun has a high value" it would be less offensive?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Unless it's negative of course.

I sincerely hope someone here understands my sense of humor. :)

I'm sorry for calling you a name but I just read arrogance with just about everything you post on any of the forums. Maybe I take you wrong but it comes off very poorly to me.

Worked up? Calling someone out is not getting worked up. But now you're going to tell someone else what they can and cannot be offended by? Everything he posts is in a snarky tone and written just to be a jerk towards people who do no see it his way. Plenty of other ways to write an opinion than labeling people this or that while doing it. The bolded piece isn't the only piece of this puzzle.

Yes, calling someone a complete jackass is kind of getting worked up. No I am not going to tell you what you can or cannot be offended by, I really do not care. Was simply defending the guy because I never got the impression of condescending tone from his posts at all, that's all.

Yes, calling someone a complete jackass is kind of getting worked up. No I am not going to tell you what you can or cannot be offended by, I really do not care. Was simply defending the guy because I never got the impression of condescending tone from his posts at all, that's all.

Great. Thanks for your opinion!

Hey, we are all in this together.

GO BREWERS!

Again, I appoligize for my choice of words. Let's get back to talking about how our best player since Yount has no trade value. That outta cheer everyone up a bit!

Lol. As a Brewer fan, there's nothing more I'd want for Xmas this year than to land Cody Bellinger and Walker Buehler for Braun!!!

Let's go Stearns...

Please let it be that Tommy Milone was just the stocking stuffer!!!

LOL. Funny how that works. Braun's trade value as we've learned by now is quite subjective at least until the Brewers prove us otherwise. I do think there are a lot of factors at work that make him a unique situation, but I would agree he's probably going to go down as the greatest Brewer since Yount, especially if he gives us a few more good years. Molitor is right there too but some see him a bit differently since he finished out his career elsewhere.

I dont get these minor league surplus value.

All players have value even minor leaguers. From a few trades I have looked at surplus value numbers get pretty close to matching up. A lot of people think the Eaton trade is bad, but the teams traded off similar surplus value respectively.

Goes back to my Sale question.

I dont get how trading the value of the ML player involved whos known commodity, vs the unknown yet to be a ML player? Why would you swap anywhere near even? I expect near 2-1value back. Since prospects flame out.

In Braun's case Im certainly not taking a model that reduces his WAR value by so much over 4years, when hes improved each the last 2years. Coming up with 8.8mil surplus value is low to me. Especially if the tail end of that 1WAR value is near over 9mil alone! So the value if you add 1WAR becomes twice the value being said. 17.8mil. Add another 1WAR it's 27million surplus value. And that to me is where Id approximately start my conversations for trading Braun.If we're hung on him as that 8.8mil value.

Archived