Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

Oh the Nationals have the pieces...even if those two names go to the White Sox. You can't forget McCutchen isn't cheap by any means, had a huge down year, bad in CF these days, and it only controllable for two more years. McCutchen isn't worth a Robles/Giolito after the year he had.

I think some people are overvaluing what McCutchen is actually worth. Last year he was really bad...really really really bad. He had a -0.7 WAR last year, Yuniesky Betencourt had a better WAR in 2011. Let that sink in for a moment.

Uh, TPlush. What? How in the world can you even say this, while backing Puig's 1st 2 seasons that barely beat McCutchen's prior year and not even remotely in the same league of McCutchen's previous 4years, one that includes winning a MVP? How can we possibly overvalue McCutchen's value? And not cheap? well at 8WAR previous and MVP or the 6/7WAR and 3rd place MVP vote getting surrounding that season. Monetary-wise I'm sure just the 1 season like that completely pays off the remaining value he's got forthcoming. You're trolling with the bolded part.

Must have forgot the part where I backed Puig being worth a Robles/Giolito.

I didn't

Also it isn't trolling, it is straight fact and a good way to show how downright garbage McCutchen was last year. Now put him in LF vs. CF and you gain 1-2 WAR, but not like that makes me want to give up a Robles/Giolito.

Point is McCutchen didn't have just a little down year and it doesn't help it happened at the age of 30. He could just be one of those players quick to fall off the face of the earth. He only has two years left of control and I highly doubt any team gambles he bounces back to MVP levels giving up a Giolito/Robles. Because honestly even if he gives you 4 WAR that still makes giving up a Top 10 prospect a bit of an overpay.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a weird feeling Toronto swoops in on Braun.

I have a hunch that Braun won't even consider it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why aren't the Nationals discussed as a potential match? He can't block a trade there, and if they don't land McCutcheon, have to think Braun would be a good alternative. Only issue there is McCutcheon fills the CF gap, Braun doesn't.

I have a weird feeling Toronto swoops in on Braun.

I doubt very much that Braun would approve a trade to Toronto based on his list of approved teams. My rough estimates would put Braun's team in 2017 as follows:

Brewers 50%

Dodgers 35%

Giants 10%

Other team 5%

These are pretty good percentages. I'm right there with ya.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun can't block a trade to Washington? Since when?

It's possible that this link from Spotrac is not current. However, it does list the Nationals as a team Braun cannot block a trade to.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/ryan-braun-485/

That is the 2015 version. The Nationals are on the blocked teams list for 2016. We don't know the details of the 2017 list(which apparently has a change) which has already been set.

[sarcasm]It's probably the Cubs.[/sarcasm]

Actually that isn't too farfetched. I believe he has stated he prefers to live in Milwaukee and/or California.

It's not the least likely...but pretty far fetched.

I guess I was considering it from Braun's perspective, but when you think about it from the Cubs' perspective, I see very little reason for the Cubs to make a move for Braun. You would think Schwarber has to be their everyday LF, not to mention Zobrist is going to get regular playing time (some in LF).

With that said if the Cubs were hypothetically in the mix I hope Stearns is not a believer in the idea that you can't trade your star to a divisional rival. If the Cubs make a great offer and Braun is amenable to going there we should absolutely pull the trigger.

Hoping Dodgers are just waiting for Turner and Jansen to sign back with them. I'm assuming they don't want to give up prospects and other players at this point if they don't know what they need after these two sign. Hopefully the remaining big free agents start signing soon.

The Brewers can afford to wait on a Braun deal. They aren't contending and have a very small payroll even with Braun. No need to dump him until the right package comes along.

Except they kind of can't, because in a few months he'll have full 10/5 rights and will be able to veto any trade. It's not the best situation for the Brewers to be in. I'm of the viewpoint that they need to trade him this off-season (and will likely not get as much as we're hoping) because they don't want to be paying a likely oft-injured, declining Braun 20 mil in his ages 36 and 37 seasons.

Speaking specifically of the Dodgers, I do think some of the other dominoes need to fall before they start making multi-player trades.

They've got key free agents in the bullpen and at third base, and then they've got the holdover issues, including left field.

I have no doubt, that's a team that will make some significant winter moves, but at this point, they're still finding out exactly what they need. I saw they'd asked about Todd Frazier .... do they need to deal for a third baseman or not? If they lose Jansen and Blanton, that leaves a huge hole in the bullpen to fix.

They've got needs, and they've got prospects .... but which needs do they need to make trades for? Until that is known, I think a deal for Braun is Plan B.

Except they kind of can't, because in a few months he'll have full 10/5 rights and will be able to veto any trade.

The thing is, before 10/5 rights kick in, Braun's market is essentially 2, maybe 3 teams - Dodgers, Giants, and potentially the mystery new team on his list. So when 10/5 rights kick in, he'll go from a market of a couple of restriction-free teams to a market of no restriction-free teams. It's not that big of a difference.

10/5 rights may even perversely help his trade value in that all 29 other teams will be on an equal footing, that is they'll have to make concessions to Braun in order to trade for him. As it is currently, his value is diminished to most teams.

The Brewers can afford to wait on a Braun deal. They aren't contending and have a very small payroll even with Braun. No need to dump him until the right package comes along.

Except they kind of can't, because in a few months he'll have full 10/5 rights and will be able to veto any trade. It's not the best situation for the Brewers to be in. I'm of the viewpoint that they need to trade him this off-season (and will likely not get as much as we're hoping) because they don't want to be paying a likely oft-injured, declining Braun 20 mil in his ages 36 and 37 seasons.

Braun isn't under contract for his age 37 season and his salary for his age 36 season drops to $17 million. His mutual option for his age 37 season is $15 million with a $4 million buyout. Further despite his occasional days off for minor hurts, he's never had a season of fewer than 564 plate appearances (other than the year he was suspended), and at age 32 he was a 4.4 WAR player. He's averaged 570 plate appearances since turning 30, and it's remained fairly steady for 3 straight years since the suspension. Braun's remaining contract is a bargain even if his production falls slightly each year.

Archived