Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last few days I have heard rumors about dozens of players being traded at the Winter Meetings, but no word at all about any Brewers, especially Braun. Not a good sign in my opinion

The Brewers tend to be a very quiet organization. Most of the time you don't hear anything till it happens.

Signing Thames for 3 years to man 1B is a real head-scratcher when in all likelihood we will be stuck with Braun and it would make a lot of sense to move him there within the next year or so.

Signing Thames for 3 years to man 1B is a real head-scratcher when in all likelihood we will be stuck with Braun and it would make a lot of sense to move him there within the next year or so.

They are not stuck with Braun. He's 33 not 38 and the contract for a player of his caliber is very reasonable.

Teams not on Braun's no trade list:

Dodgers

Giants

Padres

Diamondbacks

Marlins

Angels

The Marlins and Angels have terrible farm systems. Dbacks have too many OF of their own. Padres are rebuilding.

That leaves the Dodgers and Giants as possible trade partners

NO WAY the Giants give up their Top 3 prospects for Braun.

Our best chance at moving Braun is still the Dodgers and they have all the leverage now. They will not be giving up Bellinger or De Leon in a deal for him at this point.

I think it's VERY likely that Braun will remain a Brewer going forward.

If Sterns is motivated to move him now, I think he'll have to eat some of Braun's salary/take on unwanted contracts to even get 2nd-tier prospects back in return for him.

Here is a couple of realistic trade offers that Sterns may receive:

Offer #1

BREWERS GET:

OF Yasiel Puig (17:$6.5M, 18:$7.5M)

RHP Brandon McCarthy (17:$10M, 18:$10M)

LHP Alex Wood (Arb Eligible)

RHP Brock Stewart (Prospect)

DODGERS GET:

OF Ryan Braun (17:$19M, 18:$19M, 19:$18M, 20:$16M, 21:$15M mutual option ($4M buyout))

Offer #2

BREWERS GET:

RHP Matt Cain (17:$20M, 18:$21M club option ($7.5M buyout)) or we kick in a similar amount of $$$ toward Braun's contract.

RHP Tyler Beede (Prospect)

OF Austin Slater (Prospect)

GIANTS GET:

OF Ryan Braun (17:$19M, 18:$19M, 19:$18M, 20:$16M, 21:$15M mutual option ($4M buyout))

If either team is interested in Thornburg, sure, that would increase the prospect return quite a bit, but there are nice bullpen arms with more experience then Tyler on the open market this offseason that wouldn't require giving up top farmhands, so that scenario is unlikely IMHO.

Having to take Cain back to move Braun just to get two decent but unspectacular prospects makes no sense to me.

"Dodgers Interested in Wade Davis and Lorenzo Cain"..."Dodgers Interested in McCutchen"..."Dodgers never had an interest in Braun at the trade deadline"

Looks like Dodgers trying to drive down prices through the media, just like the Brewers were very fond of Travis D'arnaud at the deadline

"Dodgers Interested in Wade Davis and Lorenzo Cain"..."Dodgers Interested in McCutchen"..."Dodgers never had an interest in Braun at the trade deadline"

Looks like Dodgers trying to drive down prices through the media, just like the Brewers were very fond of Travis D'arnaud at the deadline

I saw most of these but I hadn't seen it reported anywhere that the Dodgers never had an interest it in Braun.

Or like any other team they are exploring all options?

I'll be disappointed if Braun isn't dealt this offseason, but the last thing Stearns should do is appear eager to do so. Let the market come to him, and if there isn't strong enough of one, so be it. But even if everything appears quiet on Braun at the winter meetings, that doesn't mean something won't get done before spring training.

I know Braun would rather know sooner than later where or if he is going anywhere but it'd a fluid situation for him right now and that's the reality of it at least until he has 10/5 rights.

With it looking like Chris Sale is going to Washington you have to think the Nats are out on McCutchen increasing his odds of going to the Dodgers which would pretty much take them out of the running for Braun and thereby removing the only realistic landing spot for him.

Or they double down with getting him too. I hope the Nats do. It will drive up the price for Braun.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No, just no. Stop it. It is bad enough having Clancy bring this up.

Braun was a terrible infielder. Add in his chronic injuries and he is better left our in left field.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

With it looking like Chris Sale is going to Washington you have to think the Nats are out on McCutchen increasing his odds of going to the Dodgers which would pretty much take them out of the running for Braun and thereby removing the only realistic landing spot for him.

...But then the Nationals realize they still want to upgrade their outfield and trade for Ryan Braun sending back one year of age 38 Jayson Werth (at $21 million, ouch) as well as Reynaldo Lopez, Juan Soto, and Drew Ward. Ok, probably a little far-fetched and a different thread. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Nationals actually want both of them badly.

It sounds like Gioloto and Robles are both headed to the White Sox for Sale which is a significant haul. Unless the Nationals can somehow land Sale without dealing Robles I don't think there is enough left in the farm to still land McCutcheon after that. I'm sure they won't deal Turner.

It sounds like Gioloto and Robles are both headed to the White Sox for Sale which is a significant haul. Unless the Nationals can somehow land Sale without dealing Robles I don't think there is enough left in the farm to still land McCutcheon after that. I'm sure they won't deal Turner.

Oh the Nationals have the pieces...even if those two names go to the White Sox. You can't forget McCutchen isn't cheap by any means, had a huge down year, bad in CF these days, and it only controllable for two more years. McCutchen isn't worth a Robles/Giolito after the year he had.

I think some people are overvaluing what McCutchen is actually worth. Last year he was really bad...really really really bad. He had a -0.7 WAR last year, Yuniesky Betencourt had a better WAR in 2011. Let that sink in for a moment.

McCutcheon was not good last year, but the five years prior to that he averaged over 6 WAR per year. Perhaps the Pirates can't demand the king's ransom for him that they would have a year ago, but they are not going to just take a bad offer now because of one bad year. It will still take a significant return to get him out of Pittsburgh.

For what it's worth the Pirates were asking for both Gioloto and Robles for McCutcheon.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/mystery-team-in-on-andrew-mccutchen.html?fv-home=true&post-id=79253

Obviously they are going to ask for the moon and stars first and negotiate from there, but if that's even in the same atmosphere as what they expect for McCutcheon, the Nationals aren't going to be in the running for him after giving up Gioloto and Robles for Sale.

Put yourself in the Pirate's GMs shoes. You have a guy who is still only 30, and has been one of the premiere centerfielders in the game for years and the cornerstone of your franchise, a perennial 6 WAR player, top 5 in MVP voting 4 straight years. Now for whatever reason, he has a down year. Are you going to sell for what you can, take a low top 50 and low top 100 and call it a day? Not a chance IMO . If they can't get what they're looking for, they'll wait and hope he regains value in 2017.

The Brewers and Dodgers are a match made in heaven. Dodgers need a left handed second baseman to platoon, right fielder, starting pitcher and a third baseman as well as salary relief. We need a prospect at first, pitching, and a boat load of prospects. Blockbuster trade.

We send Braun, Scooter, Guerra and Villar.

We receive Yasiel Puig, Cody Bellinger, Jose DeLeon, Brandon McCarthy, Alex Verdugo, Wisconsin's own Gavin Lux, Will Smith, Jacob Rhame, and Mitchell White.

Something is not adding up. You go from a trade that was 20 min. away from not happening to no chatter what-so-ever in regards to Braun. The trouble is the Brewers are tied to technically one team to trade Braun, and that's the Dodgers. And the Dodgers know it. The only other team would of been the Giants with their lack of OF power and they didn't act in July. That told the Dodgers that the Giants have no interest when the Giants could of used Braun the most. Part of me wonders if the Dodgers didn't play the Brewers on July 31st to see who else was interested with the full intent of not making a trade, in order to gauge and reduce the asking price this offseason. We also know that San Diego, Miami and Arizona would "technically" have no interest.

I don't see a trade happening with Braun until possibly spring training because the Dodgers are in control. They simply have the power due to the circumstances mentioned above. The only power the Brewers could possibly have is that Braun changed one team in his contract who he can be traded too. We still do not know what team that is. If the Dodgers are unaware of what that team is as well, it could force the Dodgers to A) act sooner or B) offer a tad more as it could be any team, and possibly force the Dodger's hand. This could also be a savvy move by Braun's agent to nudge the Dodgers to act.

However, I don't think the latter statement is the case. The Dodgers have the upperhand and are playing the floor. And the Brewers and Braun now wait.

The Brewers can afford to wait on a Braun deal. They aren't contending and have a very small payroll even with Braun. No need to dump him until the right package comes along.

I am a little surprised, though not disappointed, that the Dodgee trade that was supposed to happen in August hasn't yet, but maybe the Brewers had a change of heart regarding Puig. At least I am hoping they did.

Oh the Nationals have the pieces...even if those two names go to the White Sox. You can't forget McCutchen isn't cheap by any means, had a huge down year, bad in CF these days, and it only controllable for two more years. McCutchen isn't worth a Robles/Giolito after the year he had.

I think some people are overvaluing what McCutchen is actually worth. Last year he was really bad...really really really bad. He had a -0.7 WAR last year, Yuniesky Betencourt had a better WAR in 2011. Let that sink in for a moment.

Uh, TPlush. What? How in the world can you even say this, while backing Puig's 1st 2 seasons that barely beat McCutchen's prior year and not even remotely in the same league of McCutchen's previous 4years, one that includes winning a MVP? How can we possibly overvalue McCutchen's value? And not cheap? well at 8WAR previous and MVP or the 6/7WAR and 3rd place MVP vote getting surrounding that season. Monetary-wise I'm sure just the 1 season like that completely pays off the remaining value he's got forthcoming. You're trolling with the bolded part.

Archived