Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering the Dodgers have won at least 90 games and the division every year he's been there, he certainly seems like a pretty benign cancer.

Just throwing this number out there on Braun:

At the Trade Deadline triple slash numbers were:

.321/.383/.515/.898

When the season ended they were:

.305/.365/.538/.903

Pretty much cements him as a .900OPS hitter. Something the NYM had just paid Cespedes 110million over 4years for. Ryan Braun is making 4/76. 8.5million per year difference. But for Braun his expense decreases while Cespedes' increases.

Put simply, especially now with this CBA. Braun's 8.5million a year difference is more than the equivalent of what MLB's #1 pick slot is worth. As well as exceeding what a team can spend in the international signing period. Whereas draft picks in the 1st round are about 50/50 to even just make the Majors. Braun is a guarantee to what I'd suspect teams wish their 1st round choices even reach.

A note on Yasiel Puig, he could have opted in to Arbitration, and didn't. 8.2 million is more than he values what he is worth in Arbitration.

If Puig really believed he was a 5WAR ability player and could stand by that he'd certainly have opted in to Arbitration.

I just cant fathom how Puig/McCarthy+2 prospects for Braun doesn't translate in to 1 of the big 3 Dodger Prospects mentioned not being included. It appears to me now, with this new CBA Braun should be of higher value to a team like the Dodgers.

I can fathom it. Even with Puig being average the past couple years he's still 26. He can absolutely turn it around and become an elite player again and do so next year. That's why the Dodgers still value him. IF that happened then you're looking at Bellinger (most likely a future all star) + another solid prospect on top of Braun's all star replacement. That doesn't make sense and I don't care how much of a clubhouse problem Puig is. Also, with this specific trade I don't see a top 3 coming back. I could see Calhoun as the highest rated.

I agree with the proposal above where Guerra and/or Thornburg are added to make sure Bellinger + another top prospect, etc depending who we are all giving up. Even if Stearns has to slightly overpay then do it as you'd add several pieces of young elite talent that will mesh very well with the rest of the group

Maybe not in a direct sense but even in a indirect sense to see what McCutcheon pulls in, to set the bar.

There are so many things different about those two though. McCutchen coming off the bad year, he is younger, his contract is only two years, he is a lot cheaper, better in his peak, healthier history, etc.

They are both elite OFers in recent memory, but that is about it as far as relation. Everything else about them is a lot different. Not saying McCutchen is more valuable(I would think not)...just saying it is pretty hard for one to set the bar for the other.

While there's no doubt that Braun and McCutcheon are two different situations and tough to compare, I do think it's inevitable that whatever McCutcheon gets the Pirates will certainly be used in conversations between Stearns and whatever suitors he has for Braun. Stearns will point out Braun's far superior year, and trade partners will argue that Braun can't play CF, is older and has too many years left of commitment, Stearns will argue that Braun's longer contract is actually a benefit at a reasonable price tag, etc. etc.

If you took all the pros and cons and weighed them, I would guess that the current cumulative values of McCutcheon and Braun are pretty similar, but that's a total guess, it depends how 29 other GMs view it. Braun may be downgraded because of his PED history.

Whatever the case may be, the more that the Pirates can land for McCutcheon, the better case Stearns has for Braun. If they can land Robles for McCutcheon, that's good news.

They just keep coming. Dexter Fowler has via MLBTR at least 3 suitors interested in him reportedly at 18mil per year. Another 2years younger than Braun but with this caveat. Never had a .900 OPS season. Braun has played 410games the last 3seasons, Fowler 397. Only his 156games in 2015 happen to be only season above in career above 143. For the most part Fowler is a mid .700s OPS bat attributed to being a higher OB%. Over slg.

So tell me how Braun is expensive for his contract?

They just keep coming. Dexter Fowler has via MLBTR at least 3 suitors interested in him reportedly at 18mil per year. Another 2years younger than Braun but with this caveat. Never had a .900 OPS season. Braun has played 410games the last 3seasons, Fowler 397. Only his 156games in 2015 happen to be only season above in career above 143. For the most part Fowler is a mid .700s OPS bat attributed to being a higher OB%. Over slg.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Braun is expensive for his contract, but a big difference between Fowler and Braun is that Fowler is a free agent and basically costs a team nothing more than money, whereas we are obviously looking for a sizeable return for Braun.

With that in mind it's understandably expected that we should pay some of the contract to compensate for the prospects sent our way for him. Braun's remaining salary and contract probably isn't substantially less right now than what he would net on the open market if he were a free agent right now, so it doesn't make good business sense for any team to not only pay him that full amount but also part with some of their own players.

Excellent points. The Dodgers would benefit themselves by performing a trade for Braun sooner than later.

I personally don't think the trade is hinging on Bellinger. Stearns doesn't seem to place much emphasis on the first base position. Stearns also makes a living by mining what the opposing team devalues. Hence, the claim for Puig (at the time when he was struggling). Since the July deadline, Puig and Bellinger have improved their stock. I would look for Stearns to mine a little more risk now. I can still see McCarthy as the offset salary guy. And then I could see a trade for DeLeon "Risk- shoulder inflammation 2016", and Verdugo, Yadier Alvarez, and De Jong. The last 3 just because of their youth, all at 20 Y.O., which has an inherent risk as well. These 5 players straight up for Braun. Scooter if the pot needs to be sweetened.

Excellent points. The Dodgers would benefit themselves by performing a trade for Braun sooner than later.

I personally don't think the trade is hinging on Bellinger. Stearns doesn't seem to place much emphasis on the first base position. Stearns also makes a living by mining what the opposing team devalues. Hence, the claim for Puig (at the time when he was struggling). Since the July deadline, Puig and Bellinger have improved their stock. I would look for Stearns to mine a little more risk now. I can still see McCarthy as the offset salary guy. And then I could see a trade for DeLeon "Risk- shoulder inflammation 2016", and Verdugo, Yadier Alvarez, and De Jong. The last 3 just because of their youth, all at 20 Y.O., which has an inherent risk as well. These 5 players straight up for Braun. Scooter if the pot needs to be sweetened.

Oh boy. This oughta be good the comments forthcoming to that trade idea....

:) :laughing

So getting the Dodgers 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 17th rated prospects and a pitcher in McCarthy is laughable? The Dodgers have one of the top rated farm systems in MLB. You can only trade Braun to a handful of teams. The Lucroy trade brought way less in the initial trade with Cleveland, and thank goodness Texas stepped in. Look at the top 100 (not saying that's the grand poobah of guides) DeLEon and Verdugo are squeezed in between Brinson and Ortiz. And to cap it off I don't think Cordell matches up to the potential of a Yadier Alvarez or a Chase DeJong. That's about what I would expect for a Braun trade. People always think their players are worth so much more.

Your also dealing with the Dodgers F.O. which is one of the tops in baseball. You are not going to fleece them. Arizona....maybe. But not the Dodgers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They just keep coming. Dexter Fowler has via MLBTR at least 3 suitors interested in him reportedly at 18mil per year.

Important note: $18M a year is what Fowler is asking for. It remains to be seen if he'll get it - and for how many years the contract will be.

I want to keep Braun but if they're trading him give me Puig, McCarthy, Bellinger and an arm and we'll call it a day. If they want Scooter or a pen arm with Braun, add it in.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I want to keep Braun but if they're trading him give me Puig, McCarthy, Bellinger and an arm and we'll call it a day. If they want Scooter or a pen arm with Braun, add it in.

This is pretty much where I'm at. Also, throw in Guerra for DeLeon or Alvarez to get some new high ceiling pitching and make it a monster trade.

If I'm the Dodgers I go for it all over the next couple years. Keep Puig and add Braun. Corner OF is set. Brewers offer Braun, Guerra for Bellinger, De Leon, Smith, Brito then take on contracts of Ryu (16M next 2yrs) and McCarthy (23M next 2yrs)

*take on Ethier's 17M for a year in exchange for one of the above and hope he stays healthy replacing Braun's spot. Ryu or McCarthy can be traded if stay healthy

isnt Bellinger a 1B? Didnt the brewers just sign a 1B for 3 years in Thames? Or are they going to move one of those two to 3B or the OF if they got Bellinger?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'd release Thames tomorrow if I had to. Nothing would interfere if we had a chance to get Bellinger.

I laughed at this - in a good way. I'd actually have Bellinger in AAA all year keeping Thames at 1b. Final 2yrs Thames is backup 1b/corner OF, pinch hitter. He'll still get 200+ AB. But yes, nothing blocks Bellinger from playing and the Brewers should target him for sure and see what it takes to land him

If I'm the Dodgers I go for it all over the next couple years. Keep Puig and add Braun. Corner OF is set. Brewers offer Braun, Guerra for Bellinger, De Leon, Smith, Brito then take on contracts of Ryu (16M next 2yrs) and McCarthy (23M next 2yrs)

*take on Ethier's 17M for a year in exchange for one of the above and hope he stays healthy replacing Braun's spot. Ryu or McCarthy can be traded if stay healthy

I like the idea but this guy might not even pitch next year. It'd be hard to push that onto a small market like the Brewers without the chance of him even playing.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I like the idea but this guy might not even pitch next year. It'd be hard to push that onto a small market like the Brewers without the chance of him even playing.

Agree that's why I edited it and added the Ethier part. I'd take on Ethier/McCarthy. It sucks paying that price tag for Ethier but seems like he'll be back so he could fill in LF until Brinson is up then slide to 4th OF. It's only for a year then money is off the books as he's not vesting. I'd say Kazmir and McCarthy but that's another 17.5M the following year.

High Heat, I think I saved you before the storm of comments came. It was Laughable because I know how some feel towards the great Dodgers Prospects. Getting #2 and 3 is all well and good, but when you included Yadier Alvarez who cost what over 30million to the Dodgers and is likely catapulting to the Dodgers #1 prospect by the end of next season. Just too hopeful. Had been already hashed in the thread multiple times.

Torts, yes the Brewers did sign Thames. 4,5,6million. The upset to that signing is that he isn't a known to produce. I'd think just a midseason of performance would make him desirable to trade for to many teams.(in the case that we trade for Bellinger)

Thames originally was the OF and Bellinger played some OF which if the Braun trade happened would leave some Playing Time to fill for a number of OF prospects. Having Bellinger would create the case to trade Thames for something. But then again, you may also use him to trade for a SP yourself. Get the best talent possible over settling for lesser. Isan Diaz from Jean Segura is an example.

Never bad to have insurance waiting at pretty much the weakest position in regards to prospects.

I can't imagine Guerra would have much of any value to the Dodgers. They are incredibly deep with starter candidates and I don't even think they would view Guerra as a late inning candidate for their staff. They would probably view him as a long reliever, which means the Brewers would get more trading him to a different team that would plan on using him in the starting rotation.

Archived