Brewer Fanatic

What could Braun bring from the Dodgers?

bleacher report suggests that the Braun trade could be

LAD: Braun

MIL: Puig / McCarthy, 2B Willie Calhoun (#4 MLB Pipeline), SP Brock Stewart (#14 MLB Pipeline)

Wow, Willie Calhoun is 5'8", 21 years old and hit 27 HR's last year in AAA. Left handed hitting 2B. MLB pipeline say his defense is sketchy and probably a LF....

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MIL: Puig / McCarthy, 2B Willie Calhoun (#4 MLB Pipeline), SP Brock Stewart (#14 MLB Pipeline)

I have a report of things I just made up also.

Report: Ryan Braun won't be traded this offseason.

Calhoun's bat allows him to profile at multiple positions, which helps his cause because he's unlikely to stick at second base after making 18 errors in 65 games there during his debut. He lacks middle-infield actions and has fringy speed and arm strength, though he does work hard on his defense. He played the outfield and third base at Yavapai and probably fits best in left field.

A weird paragraph because he's only played 2B in the Dodgers system. As great as it would be if he profiled at 3B, how do they even come to that conclusion?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I have a report of things I just made up also.

Report: Ryan Braun won't be traded this offseason.

this article was trade suggestions that could happen in the offseason. its not a scoop, leak or anything else.

nobody knows what type of prospects were being discussed in August when the dodgers and brewers talked last. This is just one mans opinion that i posted in the transaction rumors.

And if Stearns keeps Braun how is it benefitting the Brewers? Leadership? After the trouble he got into, not so sure. People quickly forget how his nagging injuries have hampered him the last few years. He finished strong and after this April 17' your stuck with him. If I'm Stearns I'm trading him. Try to get San Fran involved into the bidding process.

Personally I would pass on Puig and Deleon, give me 5 guys under the age of 20 with outstanding ceilings.

If De Leon is on the table, id take that in a second.a young controllable pitcher who has had success in triple A? thats exactly what the brewers need. when you trade your most marketable player you need to do better than all guys under 20. I am OK if you get 1 or 2 in the deal, but there is a large risk / reward when you trade for guys so far away from the bigs.

if the plan is to be good in 2-3 years, then to have guys just hitting their arbitration years, i think is a good thing, instead of having some guys just hitting double or triple a.

If De Leon is on the table, id take that in a second.a young controllable pitcher who has had success in triple A? thats exactly what the brewers need. when you trade your most marketable player you need to do better than all guys under 20. I am OK if you get 1 or 2 in the deal, but there is a large risk / reward when you trade for guys so far away from the bigs.

if the plan is to be good in 2-3 years, then to have guys just hitting their arbitration years, i think is a good thing, instead of having some guys just hitting double or triple a.

I agree with this. De Leon on the table you take him. When trading guys like Braun, Lucroy you get young, elite players back who have had success at the upper levels vs 19/20yr olds in rookie or A ball. It's why the return from the Rangers is better than CLE even though number of players was fewer.

And if Stearns keeps Braun how is it benefitting the Brewers? Leadership? After the trouble he got into, not so sure. People quickly forget how his nagging injuries have hampered him the last few years. He finished strong and after this April 17' your stuck with him. If I'm Stearns I'm trading him. Try to get San Fran involved into the bidding process.

Personally I would pass on Puig and Deleon, give me 5 guys under the age of 20 with outstanding ceilings.

I'm totally with you on the first paragraph. Braun has had a great year, so much so that people completely forgot how untradeable he seemed coming into the year.

On the 2nd...I couldn't pass on a Deleon. Sounds like you're looking for 5 Gilbert Lara types, I'm not sure how many systems have 5 of those types. I'd also rather use my best trade assets for (fairly) sure things and save the lottery tickets for lesser trade bait.

Not necessarily Gilbert Lara types. But a trade that would be similiar to the Lucroy offer to Cleveland with a few more young high octane arms.

I think the hold up was on the Dodgers side and not the Brewers. My guess is the Brewers wanted DeLeon and another top prospect, and LA didn't feel right about it.

Aftertaste can taste like crap. Most teams look back at what they could have done, digest, and make the necessary changes based on their success or lack ther-of. The LA brass had to of been asking themselves "what if we pulled the trigger on the Braun trade?". If the brass felt that Braun propels them to the World Series, their not going to sit on their hands this offseason.

I also believe that teams like the Dodgers don't make FO decisions on how to get to the playoffs, their decisions are made on how to win in the playoffs. Look at Braun's playoff numbers, while not huge in volume, but huge in opportunity they are quite staggering. PA 65, BA .379, 2 HR, 12 RBI, 1.060 .OPS. This alone should of had the Dodgers pull the trigger. Looking back it seems foolish the Dodgers passed on Braun's potential in this years playoffs based on the forfeiture of an expensive, oft-injured, old, salary dump pitcher, a clubhouse cancer, and I am guessing 2 very good pitching prospects but still unproven.

The Dodgers SHOULD be kicking themselves and when observed under a microscope, it could be said that it might be the "worst trade that was NEVER made".

Not necessarily Gilbert Lara types. But a trade that would be similiar to the Lucroy offer to Cleveland with a few more young high octane arms.

So you want 2x or more than what Lucroy got, but with someone with half the value if that? That might be hard to pull off.

On another note why should the Dodgers regret not getting Braun exactly? In all of the Dodgers NLCS losses they lost by 4+ runs. You honestly think Braun was going to create 4 extra runs over what they got out of their LFer in any of those games? Yah I doubt it too.

So you want 2x or more than what Lucroy got, but with someone with half the value if that? That might be hard to pull off.

On another note why should the Dodgers regret not getting Braun exactly? In all of the Dodgers NLCS losses they lost by 4+ runs. You honestly think Braun was going to create 4 extra runs over what they got out of their LFer in any of those games? Yah I doubt it too.

Well...you cant just say having Braun would have scored 4+ more runs a game, but everything would have been different. Who knows, maybe they don't even make the playoffs after trading for Braun. Maybe the left fielder doesn't drop a routine fly ball in the first inning if it is Braun out there. There are a lot of circumstances that could/would have been different, but I am sure you understand that.

Well...you cant just say having Braun would have scored 4+ more runs a game, but everything would have been different. Who knows, maybe they don't even make the playoffs after trading for Braun. Maybe the left fielder doesn't drop a routine fly ball in the first inning if it is Braun out there. There are a lot of circumstances that could/would have been different, but I am sure you understand that.

Sure, but to say they are regretting it even in the slightest is probably wrong. The got beat pretty bad in all of their losses in the NLCS. One player isn't going to fix that. If they barely lost some games by a run I can see where one might be like, "Wow I wish we had another middle order of the bat."

They are probably wishing their pitching didn't suck so bad outside of two games. Giving up 8 runs twice and 10 runs once is the real problem they had.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They are probably wishing their pitching didn't suck so bad outside of two games. Giving up 8 runs twice and 10 runs once is the real problem they had.

Shhhh... don't tell them that. They need Braun as their LF. And they need him bad! Bad enough to give up a bunch of prospects... ;)

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly but are you saying Braun is half the value, if that, of Lucroy? If that's what you mean then how is it that Puig + 2 very good prospects are coming back for Braun when we only got Brinson for Lucroy (or Brinson/Cordell - however you look at the Rangers trade because some see it differently. I align Jeffress with Ortiz/Cordell given Smith brought back Bickford/Susac).

I also disagree with HighHeat because there's zero indicators suggesting De Leon + 1 was part of the trade nor that the Dodgers squashed it. What was made public was 1 prospect being agreed upon and the other couldn't before the deadline but that they probably only needed an additional 30 minutes to agree on someone. If De Leon was coming back how difficult would it be to add another guy? I mean, you're getting a 26yr old Puig who could return to All Star form and be flipped for multiple high end prospects, a potential #2 in De Leon who's basically MLB ready (added to the list of Hader, Ortiz, Bickford, Woodruff) + 1. There's no way De Leon is coming back (I HOPE I EAT THESE WORDS:)

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly but are you saying Braun is half the value, if that, of Lucroy? If that's what you mean then how is it that Puig + 2 very good prospects are coming back for Braun when we only got Brinson for Lucroy

Well Braun's value largely depends on how much money one is taking back and that rumored return for Braun largely depends on the prospects that come in return. If those prospects were on the Cordell level then, yah, that isn't very good value. Before money is spoken for I would say Braun has half the value of Lucroy at best and once you eat some money maybe 75% of Lucroy's value...if that depending on what you think of Puig plus whatever those prospects are. Also keep in mind we are talking about the Lucroy-Indians deal not the Lucroy-Rangers deal which are very different.

Point being Ryan Braun is not getting a package stuffed with more high ceiling young prospects than the Lucroy-Indians deal. Not even close.

Yeah Braun has his history, but I don't think it means he can't be a leader in the clubhouse. Whether he is or not, I'm unsure, but I see his value to the team in production. He had a good 2016 season with 91 rbi's and 30 HR's. He has some health issues, but he's playing 130+ games a season which I thought was pretty impressive coming off of back surgery. I'm okay with the Brewers trading Braun, but they need to find someone to replace his production

No trade for Braun will replace his production now. In the future, perhaps, but no team is going to trade a player for Braun that produces like Braun at the current time.

Myself, I would prefer to hang on to him and let him retire a Brewer... Now, if we were to get a major haul for him, that is a different story, but I don't want to trade him for a salary dump, nor do I want to trade him away and still have to pay his salary... I also want nothing to do with Puig in a trade, NOTHING!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I agree, Turbo. I'd rather see him retire a Brewer.

The fact is that we don't HAVE TO trade him. There are, as a zillion posts have noted, plenty of reasons to consider it for a major return.

I'm hardly convinced that the Brewers should have to pay any of Braun's salary in a trade to get a haul in return. All that is talked mainly spurred by the size of his contract, which is only a couple million dollars above the QO leve. He's still an elite bat and a very good athlete getting paid less than what the FA market would hold if he were a FA this winter.

• 4 weeks later...
Just saw today that MLB is requiring the Dodgers to bring down the debt on the franchise. While I'm sure a fire sale is not coming, I wonder if now might be the time to try a blockbuster. While Braun obviously won't save them money, we could take Puig, McCarthy and sent them $15-20 mil to take as many high quality prospects as possible. Thornburg and Guerra fit well into this scenario also.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Just saw today that MLB is requiring the Dodgers to bring down the debt on the franchise. While I'm sure a fire sale is not coming, I wonder if now might be the time to try a blockbuster. While Braun obviously won't save them money, we could take Puig, McCarthy and sent them $15-20 mil to take as many high quality prospects as possible. Thornburg and Guerra fit well into this scenario also.

Zero effect.

The Dodgers knew about this in August(probably even longer prior) and had the financials set in a Braun deal, but the prospects just didn't add up for the Brewers. Adding on to that they had a lot of money come off the books this offseason and they have a good $45mil in another couple expensive players coming off the books next year(like Eithier). They are perfectly fine financially and this entire Dodgers thing is getting a lot more headlines than it should. Payroll will remain very high as they need to field a competitive team

What you mentioned doing is what they were attempting to do in August.

I could see a blockbuster trade with the Dodgers. It's not out of the realm to see Braun, Guerra, Gennett and Thornburg heading West for Puig, McCarthy, Bellinger, DeLeon, Verdugo, Yadier Alvarez, Sheffield, Will Smith/Austin Barnes.

This may seem to be more of a fantasy baseball offer, but the stars do line up for it. Maybe not everyone listed but a good portion. Would really set the Crew up for 2019 and beyond.

Here's one idea to kick around. What if the Brewers sent Braun/Guerra but in Guerra they receive Kenta Maeda? swapping some money via those two. Still for Braun I'd hope to receive a SP especially when taking in Puig and McCarthy as well. But adding Cody Bellinger and some higher ceiling type w/o the ranking currently. Would be interesting. The fact that Maeda's payroll commitment never increases would be a plus for the Brewers. Cheap enough if there comes a point you much move him to bullpen. So while Guerra saves 2.5mil now for Dodgers each of next 2seasons, should he continue his stats, he'll be paid more than Maeda 3seasons from now. Not that the Dodgers at that point need to be as concerned with money.

Let's get a little crazy and say Braun, Guerra, and Thornburg. Milwaukee gets, McCarthy, Adrian Gonzalez, Julio Urias, and maybe a Walker Buehler type Pitching prospect. I'd add 1more prospect that I just can't choose from currently. Say you get Jose DeLeon vs Urias. I'd want Verdugo back. Dodgers obviously have a lot in their system to get that present high ceilings, what with their International signings or 1st round/comp round picks that aren't in their top 4 prospect rankings

From Jim Bowden today so take it with a grain of salt, but I would love to get Bellinger.

They had discussions with the Dodgers back in July about a Braun deal that would land both Yasiel Puig and Cody Bellinger, but the Dodgers balked at giving up Bellinger and had concerns about the back end of Braun’s contract. However, with so many teams looking for an impact bat, it is likely that this is the offseason that Braun actually gets dealt.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

From Jim Bowden today so take it with a grain of salt, but I would love to get Bellinger.

They had discussions with the Dodgers back in July about a Braun deal that would land both Yasiel Puig and Cody Bellinger, but the Dodgers balked at giving up Bellinger and had concerns about the back end of Braun’s contract. However, with so many teams looking for an impact bat, it is likely that this is the offseason that Braun actually gets dealt.

Cody Bellinger would be a fun guy to add to the mix. I just wish we did not have to take Puig back with him. I'd rather get more prospects. Pitching maybe?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Cody Bellinger would be a fun guy to add to the mix. I just wish we did not have to take Puig back with him. I'd rather get more prospects. Pitching maybe?

I guessing you could probably flip Puig

Archived