Brewer Fanatic

2016-08-23 Rockies (Gray) at Brewers (C. Anderson), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-4; first big league win for Suter]

1992casey
Santana was a top 100 prospect last year, we gave up a great player to get him, and he's finally healthy again.

Just to clarify, was the great player we gave up Gomez, or Fiers?

At the time, it was Gomez.

So Scooter fouled the ball, which they missed. And he didn't swing, which they also missed.

Nah, not fouled. Replay on bat checking across half the plate pretty obvious he went.

The ball clearly changed direction before it hit the ground meaning it hit the bat. And the plate is not what determines a swing or not. In fact, there are no written rules for what determines a strike on a check swing.

That's funny. I seen no change of the ball's direction it bounced off the plate and the view of the bouncing ball on the plate gave great angle of head of bat passing through half of the plate.

Anywho, I turned the game on top of the 7th 2outs. Final 13outs Brewers win 4-0 I've just become the new PFx1 :laughing

So you reward BBs more than detrimenting Ks?

I do not believe the number of Ks a player has impacts their batting runs total at all. Using 2015 numbers from fangraphs...

Arenado | 665 PAs | 118 wRC+ | 16.5 K% | 14.1 Batting Runs

Eaton | 689 PAs | 118 wRC+ | 19.0 K% | 14.6 Batting Runs

Betts | 654 PAs | 119 wRC+ | 12.5 K% | 14.2 Batting Runs

Just seems beyond wrong a 42HR-130RBI .287BA hitter is worth just 17runs more than avg.

This is where the Coors factor comes into play. Arenado had a .371 wOBA in 2015 which amounts to a 118 wRC+ with half of his games at Coors. For reference, Charlie Blackmon had a .345 wOBA in 2015 which was good for a league average 100 wRC+.

Now compare those numbers to players with the same wOBAs that played in less extreme environs. There were five players other than Arenado with wOBAs between .370 & .372, their wRC+ marks ranged from 132 to 139 compared to Arenado's 118. There were five players other than Blackmon that had wOBAs from .343 to .347, their wRC+ marks ranged from 118 to 123 compared to Blackmon's 100.

Looks like Colorado players are docked about 15-20% of their raw offensive totals for the benefit of playing half their games at Coors.

Archived