Brewer Fanatic

Robin Yount auctions keepsakes

Madhawk23
Yount made almost $19 million in his career.

Well if he lost a chunk on bad investments or was Madoff'd and has the rest tied up in real estate, whether personal or investment - he may not be very liquid. So instead of selling something before the time is right, he probably sold his stuff, to get some cold hard cash.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well if he lost a chunk on bad investments or was Madoff'd and has the rest tied up in real estate, whether personal or investment - he may not be very liquid. So instead of selling something before the time is right, he probably sold his stuff, to get some cold hard cash.

Yeah I was just responding to people that suggested he maybe didn't make so much money during his playing days.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yah that isn't a lot. Kiss 40% of that goodbye because the tax man came along. Suddenly that number is $11.4mil. That isn't going to last you very long. If he spent $500,000 a year on average that money is already gone. and that is pretending he spent nothing while his career was going on. He would have to live a pretty normal life for that money to last for the rest of his life. One bad investment could really tank the little he had.

There are people that have blown $100mil in 5 or less years. I do not think it would take much to spend $12mil in 20+ years.

Yah that isn't a lot. Kiss 40% of that goodbye because the tax man came along. Suddenly that number is $11.4mil. That isn't going to last you very long. If he spent $500,000 a year on average that money is already gone. and that is pretending he spent nothing while his career was going on. He would have to live a pretty normal life for that money to last for the rest of his life. One bad investment could really tank the little he had.

There are people that have blown $100mil in 5 or less years. I do not think it would take much to spend $12mil in 20+ years.

But this is assuming Yount never made another dime in endorsements (I know he wasn't a huge star outside of Milwaukee....but still), signings, appearances, or ANY other way outside of baseball.

Like I said, I know Yount wasn't a huge star, but there's no way he wasn't making some kind of bank on some endorsements or other avenues.

Hakim's Razor

Occam's razor

Yes, my cell phone auto-corrected to Hakim for some reason.

Also, as far as how many millions Yount earned in his career, and has earned since then, it's irrelevant. Has nothing to do with how much money is spent, which is a conversation I seem to have a lot on the home front ; ) There are several studies on the large percentage of lottery winners that are broke within a year or two. Lots of ways to blow through cash.

If I had my guess, I would bet he's not broke but isn't in the greatest financial position, and needs some cash. Yes, lots of former players don't have a shrine to themselves. But I can't think of any that have sold very meaningful items unless they "had" to sell them. Selling random balls, uniforms, etc. is housecleaning. But other items with more significance? If it's not about money, why not donate them to the Brewers, the MLB HOF, etc.?

I'm not saying you can't blow through millions. Happens all the time. Doesn't change the fact that it's a lot of money.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hakim's Razor

Occam's razor

If I had my guess, I would bet he's not broke but isn't in the greatest financial position, and needs some cash. Yes, lots of former players don't have a shrine to themselves. But I can't think of any that have sold very meaningful items unless they "had" to sell them. Selling random balls, uniforms, etc. is housecleaning. But other items with more significance? If it's not about money, why not donate them to the Brewers, the MLB HOF, etc.?

If he needed $200k why not coach at the MLB level? He's done it before.

Why do people care what he does with his belongings?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd buy the downsizing and just wanting to get rid of some stuff. I don't know who it was but some actor or comedian once went to Wayne Gretzky's house and was excited to see all of Wayne's trophies and things. All of Wayne's MVP awards were in the garage. Probably Robin had the same deal. No shrine to his accomplishments or anything. Just stuff in the garage.

Super long, true story short - Rob Derksen was a Brewers minor leaguer and rented Yount's house in the off season. When Robin retired he sold his house in Hales Corners to Rob. Rob called Yount numerous times telling him that next time he was in town that he had to stop over and get his MVP trophies out from under the bed. He said they had a quarter inch of dust on them.

Yount didn't care much about his personal accomplishments. He cared more about winning.

Why do people care what he does with his belongings?

He's the most celebrated Brewer in club history, and this is a message board for Brewers fans. The 3000 hit ball and bat are two important artifacts in team history.

Obviously, he can do whatever he wants with his stuff. I hope the important pieces were bought by local collectors--or by the team itself.

Archived