Brewer Fanatic

Top 5 pitching debuts by Brewers

dacbrewers

Recently Cravy and Jungmann both went 7 innings and gave up 1 run to the Cardinals and Pirates respectively. I don't know if that's enough to get them into the top 5 but it probably gets them close.

I was at Yo's debut in 07 and he pretty well cruised after the first until he gave up a home run and got lifted. It was exciting to be there.

I second Woodard's debut comment from recte. I listened to that whole game on the radio. I was scared to death Fetters would blow it for him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

For those interested, Steve Woodard made his debut in Milwaukee on July 28, 1997, against Toronto. Here's his stat line:

8.0 IP, zero runs allowed, 1 hit allowed, 1 walk, 12 SO. He threw 119 pitches. The Brewers won 1-0. Mike Fetters got the win. Roger Clemons took the loss.

The only hit Woodard allowed was a leadoff double by Otis Nixon.

Woodard would never strikeout as many batters in a game in his career.

If you look up 'best pitching debuts' his game usually comes up in the top 5 in history.

I have to admit I loved this question. Here's more than five, since 'best' is often subjective:

Steve Woodard - 1997 - 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1BB, 12K, Win

Gary Beare - 1976 - 9.0 IP, 12 H, 3 ER, 2BB, 8K, Win

Gary Ryerson - 1972 - 9.0 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 0BB, 5K, Win

Bill Parsons - 1971 - 9.0 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 6BB, 6K, Lose

Bill Wegman - 1985 - 7.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0BB, 4K, Lose

Taylor Jungmann - 2015 - 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1BB, 5K, Win

Chris Saenz - 2004 - 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3BB, 7K, Win

Nick Neugebauer - 2001 - 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3BB, 9K, Win

Hiram Burgos - 2013 - 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0BB, 1K, Win

Jamie Navarro - 1989 - 6.2 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 2BB, 2K, Lose

Jeff D’Amico - 1996 - 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 4BB, 5K, Win

Jeff Peterek - 1989 - 7.0 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 3BB, 4K, Win

Rickey Keeton - 1980 - 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 4BB, 0K, Win

Jim Slaton - 1971 - 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3BB, 4K, Win

Eduardo Rodriguez - 1973 - 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3BB, 1K, no decision

I had no idea that Neugy's debut was that good. I remember talking with reporter/photographer Bill Mitchell and asked about Neugy. He said he knew him and his family well while in the minors, but after his release he just sort of disappeared.

I think Carlos Villanueva went 6 or 7 shutout innings against the Cardinals in his debut (I think in '06).

I believe his first start was vs. the Reds, and yes it was very good, 6 shutout innings with 4 hits allowed. Wasn't his debut tho. He threw one relief inning before that.

I had no idea that Neugy's debut was that good. I remember talking with reporter/photographer Bill Mitchell and asked about Neugy. He said he knew him and his family well while in the minors, but after his release he just sort of disappeared.

Neugebauer got pounded in his second start. Lasted only one inning.

I was at Woodard's debut. They swept the doubleheader that day. It was really exciting because of how well he pitched, the fact that he out-pitched Roger Clemens, and they won, 1-0. In the 2nd game, the Brewers turned a triple play (Cirillo-Loretta-Nilsson -- I loved that IF w/ those guys and Vina!), got 19 hits, and also won, 9-3.

1st game box score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL199707281.shtml

2nd game box scores (note the highly forgettable pitchers): http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL199707282.shtml

I was at Woodard's debut. They swept the doubleheader that day.

That was the first of two doubleheaders on consecutive days vs. the Blue Jays. The Brewers swept all four games.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was at Yo's debut in 07 and he pretty well cruised after the first until he gave up a home run and got lifted. It was exciting to be there.

Yo's debut was 6.1 innings, 4 hits, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K. He got the win.

Indeed. I remember in the 7th he gave up a home run, then walked a guy and got pulled. The walk came around to score when Villanueva gave up a home run in relief.

Archived