Brewer Fanatic

Keon Broxton and Exit Velocity

molitor fan

Santana has been awful in the field

Not to take this too far off topic, but I watched a couple of T-Rats games in Beloit when Santana was there, and he did not appear to be trying at all. He seemed more interested in laughing and joking around with teammates than in playing baseball.

This could have been because he was playing in A-ball and didn't care too much, but as a fan of his I lost some respect for him. Has anyone who has been at games noticed this from him on the MLB level? Watching on TV, it just looks like he takes awful routes and doesn't have a good glove, but is this because he's not that good, or because he doesn't care? I'm all for playing the young guys, but if it's the latter, maybe sitting his butt on the bench to show him that he's not entitled to a starting job is exactly what he needs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Santana has been awful in the field

Not to take this too far off topic, but I watched a couple of T-Rats games in Beloit when Santana was there, and he did not appear to be trying at all. He seemed more interested in laughing and joking around with teammates than in playing baseball.

This could have been because he was playing in A-ball and didn't care too much, but as a fan of his I lost some respect for him. Has anyone who has been at games noticed this from him on the MLB level? Watching on TV, it just looks like he takes awful routes and doesn't have a good glove, but is this because he's not that good, or because he doesn't care? I'm all for playing the young guys, but if it's the latter, maybe sitting his butt on the bench to show him that he's not entitled to a starting job is exactly what he needs.

I don't get that sense from him at all (not caring). He works incredibly hard at the game. He is still a work in progress and has much to learn, like many young players, but I see in Santana someone who is all in during the game

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's never a good idea to parse an already small sample into even smaller samples but Keon has had a very up & down season to this point which should make him an interesting one to follow when the 2017 projections start to come out.

His current full season line is at 240/360/415.

As we all know he got off to a terrible start and was sitting at 125/253/188 over 75 plate appearances before being sent down to AAA after July 1. He came back up July 26 and went on a tear with his new stance hitting 361/465/667 over 87 PAs through August 21 when his single season slash line peaked at 250/366/441. In the eleven games & 42 PAs since then Keon has cooled off considerably hitting 200/333/314.

The variance in his results so far this year kind of reminds me of Jean Segura's career on a much smaller scale. Segura has a career line of 278/317/378 good for an 88 wRC+ but has never really come close to that in any single season with individual wRC+ marks of 105, 67, 63 & 122.

I suspect Broxton's variation outside of the early part of the year is consistent with other 3TO type players, his batting average will tend to fluctuate quite a bit likely getting a significant boost when the HRs tend to come in bunches which also spikes the SLG quite a bit. The nice thing is that his walk rate has held out quite well even at the start of the year. What stands out to me looking at the month to month splits was how much the relatively short but just awful start in April was for his season stats. He was bad the first half, but only normal bad. In my mind right now he looks like an .800 OPS CF with about that .250/.360/.440 slash line and a boat load of SBs. But along with that I expect significant ups and downs and frankly I could see him getting the Jose Valentin treatment which would be a shame.

Funny how things can change so quickly, don't see AdvantageSchneider talking about Broxton too much anymore.

I picked him up on my fantasy baseball team about a month ago. Obviously I'm not a scout, but I've never been more wrong about a guy. Which kind of proves DS plan is the correct one. Get as many bodies as you can and throw them against the wall, because you never which ones are going to stick.

Even if Broxton only winds up doing a poor-man's version of Carlos Gómez's later development, he will be quite valuable. And the trade with the Pirates is already a win with Rogers being so limited defensively & really not a good enough hitter for 1B. Not to mention that Supak had a solid year as a 20-yo with the T-Rats... and might have a higher ceiling than Broxton.

I knew I was probably going to like Stearns's approach, but I have to say I am absolutely in love with his regime's ability to identify talent, & the strong focus on acquiring talent above anything else.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived