Brewer Fanatic

Keon Broxton and Exit Velocity

molitor fan
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Annnnd Broxton is back on the bench today. :angry

Annnnd tomorrow he'll be back in CF. What's your point?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Is it okay for us to disagree about the amount of playing time that Kirk Nieuwenhuis receives without having this same discussion every single time?

Is it okay for us to disagree about the amount of playing time that Kirk Nieuwenhuis receives without having this same discussion every single time?

Once you stop with this every single day, I'll stop. How bout that?

Broxton is 2 for his last 20 (give or take) and maybe just needs a night to chill. What a perfect opportunity to get the red hot Kirk in CF for a night.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Or maybe he needs to play his way through this to see how he responds. 20 ABs isn't even a weeks worth, and he hasn't been overworked. Again, is it not okay to disagree with you over this? Also, Kirk is 2 for his last 11, not what I would describe as red hot.

Anyway, every single day, that's a little hyperbole. But I'm okay with it if it's just a simple day off. But if it's back to a platoon situation, I'm definitely not okay with that.

Doesn't it seem like every Brewer manager has a player like Kirk who gets more playing time than the prospect, or some vet who plays out of position like CF in a play-off game?

It's a pretty common story, at least Broxton is getting somewhat regular ABs.

Gamel couldn't even get an AB because McGehee was hot and ended up getting shifted to first base, where he blew out his knee multiple times due to perfectly conspiring circumstances. Casey faded away and Mat was out of baseball not long after, it's too bad.

Macha sat Escobar down every time he went 1 or 2 for 10 because "he's trying to hit home runs"... as if power was ever a significant part of Alcides' game.

With the relative overall talent level of all players pretty close, the mental aspect is truly the biggest factor which separates players from one another, and yet most managers and coaches around baseball don't know how to develop or create the conditions for a player to blossom simply because that's never been part of the fabric of baseball. It was trial by error, either you made it or you didn't with your own throwing and hitting mechanics.

I've often gotten the feeling that managers/coaches at MLB don't necessarily want to put in all of the extra time to coach up young players every day, they prefer veterans because they already know the drill and are less maintenance... Most people are going to teach what they were taught or figured out on their own, which more often than not isn't a good a thing, and is one of the reasons there's no such thing as "proper throwing mechanics" in baseball. If you read enough you'll discover that very few pitching coaches around baseball over the years actually taught pitchers "how to" anything, many pitchers learned pitches from each other, that's why those coaches who teach are so highly valued and can have a significant impact (Maddux teaching pitchers like Davis the cutter for example).

The same is true of position players, those early 80 Brewers teams sat around in the clubhouse after games and drank beer talking baseball. Talking about baseball, bouncing ideas off of each other, and building brotherhood which is all very productive but wasn't coming from the coaching staff. From the development side there's no compelling reason for Kirk to play over Keon, slump or not. It's incredibly short sighted and once again is trading tomorrow for today, when wins today are entirely meaningless if not problematic from a future talent standpoint, but wins next season or the season after could mean something.

We're back to discussing instant gratification vs maximizing talent potential, an issue that's supremely important to the Brewers ever being able to play at a high level for a decade or more, and those of us on this forum go round and round having the same debates over and over about.

I firmly believe that Santana and Broxton should be playing every day.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I know it seems that some of us complain about Nieuwenhuis too much, but he already has set a career high in PAs by 26, and he's on pace for 437 plate appearances, which would shatter his previous career high.

With the young in house options we have, it's really nonsensical. The 2016 Brewers are rebuilding. Kirk Nieuwenhuis should not be scratching the surface of 450 plate appearances on the 2016 Brewers. He really is playing way, way too much. If he was getting a start or two a week to spell the starters as a 4th OFer, no one would be complaining.

Or maybe he needs to play his way through this to see how he responds. 20 ABs isn't even a weeks worth, and he hasn't been overworked. Again, is it not okay to disagree with you over this? Also, Kirk is 2 for his last 11, not what I would describe as red hot.

Anyway, every single day, that's a little hyperbole. But I'm okay with it if it's just a simple day off. But if it's back to a platoon situation, I'm definitely not okay with that.

When's the last time Broxton has sat? You're going overboard on this with him simply having a day off so I'll refer you to my original comment to you. He'll be back in CF tomorrow. Stop with the sky is falling all the time. It's no big deal for him to have a seat today.

When's the last time Broxton has sat? You're going overboard on this with him simply having a day off so I'll refer you to my original comment to you. He'll be back in CF tomorrow. Stop with the sky is falling all the time. It's no big deal for him to have a seat today.

Did you read my previous post at all? Big picture. No big deal if this was a one off thing.

Did you read my previous post at all? Big picture. No big deal if this was a one off thing.

So wait to complain if Broxton continues to sit. Not after a week of playing and then gets one night off.

So wait to complain if Broxton continues to sit. Not after a week of playing and then gets one night off.

My complaint is less with Broxton specifically and more with the over usage of Niewenhuis. I agree with TheCrew that Santana falls into the same category as Broxton as a guy who needs to play. And Santana HAS been sitting a lot for Kirk since his return.

Might not be completely healthy either. There are a lot of factors that you won't even consider.

Might not be completely healthy either. There are a lot of factors that you won't even consider.

Except it was reported yesterday that he is.

I really don't know why you have such an issue with people having the opinion that Nieuwenhuis' gets excessive playing time with a young rebuilding team.

I really don't know why you have such an issue with people having the opinion that Nieuwenhuis' gets excessive playing time with a young rebuilding team.

I don't. I actually want Broxton/Santana to play. You're just obnoxious with it. So I give it back. But I do understand Kirk playing at home, where he's producing a ton.

You're just obnoxious with it. So I give it back.

After you agreed literally earlier today with another poster than bickering on here is bad :laughing

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. I see no point in giving OF playing time to guys who aren't part of our future. But you do, so agree to disagree.

Someone's gotta have a little fun with you and call you out. Just too comical.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guys, that's enough for one thread ok? Thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Which one was the cat and which one was the dog?

Anyway - I'm a bit miffed because every time I'm actually watching a game Broxton goes 0-4. Every time we're busy and can't watch the game he goes like 3-4...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I just want to reiterate that I love Keon Broxton and I hope the new Keon is the real Keon. What a find he would be if he turns out to be a Rickie Weeks type player with good defense in CF and speed. Would allow us not to rush Brinson or the other young bucks too.

And then trade him for a haul next offseason.

Broxton allows the Brewers to keep Brinson down to start next year. It also allows the team to get a better view of Santana. If Broxton keeps it up, and if Brinson is as good as hoped, and if Santana proves himself to be a good MLB regular, then it allows us to do something with Braun (trade him or move him to 1B).

That's a lot of "ifs," so for right now, I'm happy to see Broxton doing well, and to see Santana healthy. Let the rest play itself out, but I'd highly doubt that Broxton will be traded away if he continues to play well.

Hence why I said next offseason. It is very likely at some point we are going to have more outfielders than there are spots. I personally would prefer to trade one of the proven guys to maximize the return and roll the dice on the prospect that needs a spot. If you trade away the prospect instead that is going to lessen the return. Less risk that way, but lessen the potential reward.

I'm just guessing if it comes down to Keon or Domingo and they both end up as slightly above average offensively you keep Domingo since he provides more power. Something we lack right now in the young guys and prospects. Of course if Keon is significantly better you keep him.

Santana has been awful in the field, arm injury related or not. His long term home might be first base. At 6'5, he certainly fits the physical profile. Certainly can't be much worse than Carter defensively.

So if Broxton and Brinson keep on keeping on, I think we could see a permanent Braun-Brinson-Broxton outfield in the not too distant future.

The new KILLER B'S!

To take this in a horribly off-topic direction. My favorite wrestlers growing up were the "Killer Bs", they would put their black and yellow masks under the ring, and then strategically put them on so that no one could tell them apart. I remember a Wrestlemania where Koko B. Ware wrestled with them in a six man match, they still did the bit with the masks...even though Koko was easier to differentiate than the other 2. As a youngster, I thought this was the most hilarious thing ever.

Your mentioning the Killer B's brought it all back, I thank you.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The new KILLER B'S!

To take this in a horribly off-topic direction. My favorite wrestlers growing up were the "Killer Bs", they would put their black and yellow masks under the ring, and then strategically put them on so that no one could tell them apart. I remember a Wrestlemania where Koko B. Ware wrestled with them in a six man match, they still did the bit with the masks...even though Koko was easier to differentiate than the other 2. As a youngster, I thought this was the most hilarious thing ever.

Your mentioning the Killer B's brought it all back, I thank you.

Jumpin Jim Brunzell and B. Brian Blair. I remember watching them back in the 80s.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/prowrestling/images/b/b1/The_Killer_Bees.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091004215830

Archived