Brewer Fanatic

Are we on pace to break the MLB K record?

rickh150

The Brewers are on a pace to break the National League record by two strikeouts but would fall short of the Major League record by three.

NL Record: 2010 Diamondbacks, 1,529 strikeouts

AL and Major League Record: 2013 Astros, 1,535 strikeouts

The Brewers have struck out 1,134 times in 120 games. Over 162 games, that would translate to 1,530.9 strikeouts.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The Brewers are on a pace to break the National League record by two strikeouts but would fall short of the Major League record by three.

The Brewers have struck out 1,134 times in 120 games. Over 162 games, that would translate to 1,530.9 strikeouts.

I knew we struck out a lot, but most EVER? Yikes....

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I knew we struck out a lot, but most EVER? Yikes....

Chris Carter was a key part of the 2013 Astros team. 212 strikeouts for him that year.

Villar was on that team as well. But just a part timer. Still, lots of Ks.

I have to admit, even though the Brewers could very well break the strikeouts record, I've been quite pleased overall with the team's plate discipline. I have no idea if the stats bear it out, but it feels to me like the team in general has done a much better job in being more patient and taking more walks versus prior years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have to admit, even though the Brewers could very well break the strikeouts record, I've been quite pleased overall with the team's plate discipline. I have no idea if the stats bear it out, but it feels to me like the team in general has done a much better job in being more patient and taking more walks versus prior years.

Brewers have the second most walks in the major leagues this year. Their batting average is 23rd in the majors, but our OBP is 9th in the majors (tied with two other teams). So I think there is definitely a philosophy of working counts, taking pitches, getting walks, etc. Does that lead to more runs? I don't know. We are 24th in the majors in runs scored.

I've always been a fan of getting on base as an indicator you are doing well. Obviously, that doesn't work here. But I also just look at our team's other statistics - 29th in triples, 28th in doubles, 19th in HRs. We are 27th in BA with runners in scoring position. I think the OBP rise is great, but we just don't have the hitters taking advantage of it. Part of that is we have over 600 ABs from guys with sub .600 OPS. As a contrast, the Cubs have about 40 ABs that are sub .600. We've just had a black hole or two almost every night in our lineup. It can kill a team.

Strikeouts are a bad indicator of a lack of plate discipline. Sometimes, they're a side effect of good plate discipline. It's never a surprise when players who walk a lot also strike out a lot.

Look at Yuni as an example of bad plate discipline. He rarely struck out because he'd swing early in the count, make weak contact, and pop or ground out.

And then there's Chris Carter. I don't know how his numbers stack up this year. But when he was acquired, we were told that the hole in his game was swinging at and missing pitches in the strike zone… not out of it. Obviously, if a player doesn't swing at pitches in the zone, he's going to have called strikes instead. Missing pitches in the zone wouldn't be a discipline issue.

I'd say that bad plate discipline involves a low number of pitches per plate appearance and a bad OBP because if it.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This is already the 4th season that the Astros have been in the AL???

The older I get, time seems to go exponentially faster.

And somehow the world didn't end having interleague games every day.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived