Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 8/17

Mass Haas
Man, Medeiros' BB and K rates have to be extremely concerning. Seems like Brevard has had almost no positives this year, you have to wonder if there is major coaching/development issues there. The pitchers really aren't performing either.

21-year-old seventh round LHP Daniel Brown (Mississippi State) made his pro debut with a 1-2-3 first inning.

cool, so unless I missed something 29th round pick Brennan Price is the only 2016 Brewer's signed draft pick not to make his debut yet. does anyone know his status?

From my understanding they told him to turn down the velo to try and work on his control. Its kind of early to write anyone off 2 years out of HS

Exactly and if he doesn't work out as a starter he could flourish as a reliever.

How many successful relievers post nearly as many walks and strike outs?

Kodi certainly has time on his side so the end isn't nigh, but let's not bury our head in the sand and pretend everything is alright either.

Beware of low arm slot pitchers, only the most athletic make it work enough to be starters and while they are filthy with that arm angle, they are most definitely the exception. I sincerely hope Kodi can turn it around, the system definitely needs some legit lefties.

How many relievers have the same mentality, preparation and routine as starters? This isn't physical, it's mental. I understand the logic of keeping guys in the rotation until they absolutely need to be moved to the pen but I don't subscribe to that at all. He's definitely young for A+. But his results haven't been good since he was drafted (did some good things in A though). But changing his entire mentality, approach, preparation/routine by going to the pen could change things. His report coming out was he very well could end up in the pen - similar to Hader except he's been very good in the rotation so makes sense for him to continue that route (similar to Thornburg as well). Was also cited as extremely athletic too. He's had 2.5yrs of performing in the rotation and is at A+ and hasn't gotten it done. If he's in the pen he could be up at 22-23yrs old. As great as it would be to have that lefty SP come through I'd rather have a dominant pen guy vs a guy that might not make it in the rotation. I do think they'll have him repeat A+ in the rotation and see how that works given his age. If he struggles then he'll be moved to the pen similar to Magnifico.

Someone recently posted a link about the Brewers always thinking Lopez would be a reliever, which is actually the first time I've heard of that. Makes sense given his track record, outside of AA. 94 with strong curve will play well in the pen similar to Thornburg. Kodi is in that same boat. Hitting 94-96 out of pen with plus slider would be outstanding and would move him quicker through the system.

Guys like Hader, Ortiz, Bickford are all coming up within the next 1-3yrs (Davies already up) and still have Nelson, Peralta who will be traded eventually for young talent. Woodruff, Ponce are ahead of Kodi then mix in Diplan, D.Williams, Peralta, Perrin all at same level as him too. Burnes is catching up although I think he ends up in the pen anyway (I think Ponce ends up there too but at least he's been solid in rotation). The org isn't short on quality arms although we could always use more (ie PTBNL from TX). Don't need to force him and keep working with him for another 2-3yrs in rotation before pen. Give him through next year as that's 3.5 seasons in rotation then.

How many relievers have the same mentality, preparation and routine as starters? This isn't physical, it's mental. I understand the logic of keeping guys in the rotation until they absolutely need to be moved to the pen but I don't subscribe to that at all.

Sometimes throwing strikes is a mental thing but it's mostly a mechanical thing.

You keep pitchers, even ones the organization sees as relievers, in the rotation as long as possible so they get regular bullpen sessions and have as many innings as possible to work on their craft. It's fine if you don't subscribe to it but regardless from a development standpoint that's what makes the most sense.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

How many relievers have the same mentality, preparation and routine as starters? This isn't physical, it's mental. I understand the logic of keeping guys in the rotation until they absolutely need to be moved to the pen but I don't subscribe to that at all.

Sometimes throwing strikes is a mental thing but it's mostly a mechanical thing.

You keep pitchers, even ones the organization sees as relievers, in the rotation as long as possible so they get regular bullpen sessions and have as many innings as possible to work on their craft. It's fine if you don't subscribe to it but regardless from a development standpoint that's what makes the most sense.

Especially if mechanics, or repeating proper mechanics is the issue- which it sounds like it is with Kodi. Much harder to work on consistent mechanics when you're only doing it an inning at a time, vs 5-6.

Archived