Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tuesday 8/16

Mass Haas
So is Wang a legitimate pitching prospect for us now? It's been quite a ride seeing him work his way back after the Rule 5 season and being DFAed.

Long answer:

When he was pitching with the big club I thought he had the makings of above average off speed, and if he added a tick or 2 velocity wise he could be something worth getting excited about. His problem at that time was he was pitching with A ball control in MLB so he got behind in counts and his FB got crushed because it didn't have much run.

The only pitching prospect above WI who I've watched pitch this year was Hader, and it wasn't much, maybe 9 innings total, so I haven't taken the opportunity to see if Wang's stuff and/or velocity have improved. From an analysis and research standpoint his control really hasn't improved all that much as he was trying throw perfect pitches and ended up nibbling around off the corners getting himself in trouble. He's been much better since Hook got him to challenge hitters instead of pitching against the strike zone, you don't really have to hit spots if you can keep the ball down and keep hitters off balance, so in that respect he's more effectively wild like a Gallardo rather painting corners like a Fiers. I hope that description makes sense because normally when I'm talking "effectively wild" I'm talking about pitchers like Diplan who are missing spots by feet, not inches, and still having success.

Short answer:

I think the jury is still out on how legitimate he really is, he's looking like a back of the rotation guy right now.

So you haven't seen him pitch since he pitched for the Brewers, but you go on to describe in detail how he's pitching this year? Not sure I follow. Or were you talking about Hader?

So you haven't seen him pitch since he pitched for the Brewers, but you go on to describe in detail how he's pitching this year? Not sure I follow. Or were you talking about Hader?

I thought I was pretty clear, but I guess not. The only pitcher I've watched above A ball this season was Hader.

Research=scouting reports, listening to games on the radio, audio and print interviews, video or gifs of the pitcher, and so on. The overwhelming majority of insightful information of this type is linked by MH, he's truly the best resource Brewer fans have for prospect information.

Analysis=I'm looking at statistics and giving my best guess, I'll use phrases like "appears to be", "looks like", "I'm guessing", "seems to suggest", and so on in Link Reports.

In Wang's case my early season analysis that he started nibbling around was confirmed later by audio and print interviews with pitching coach Chris Hook linked of course by MH.

While every prospect has a somewhat unique career path, each different type of pitcher also has a unique ladder to climb. So when you get a certain type of pitcher, putting up certain kinds of stats, it's not hard to guess what's going on when we've been down that road already with another prospect.

If I had to compare Wang to a previous Brewer prospect... looking at similar low 90s velocity, stuff, and control the best I can come up with Dana Eveland. I'm probably forgetting someone though.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Final: Arizona Giants 6, Arizona Brewers 4, ten innings

Maryvale Box Score

Any word on why Monte Harrison got pulled for a pinch hitter in the 6th tonight? In the top half of the 6th he recorded 2 fly outs playing CF.

We've been trying to recruit a Phoenix area resident to be our correspondent for 15 years. Anybody want to walk to the Maryvale ballpark for these night games?

Maryvale Game Log

Defense the downfall in the 9th, and again in the 10th, you'll see (that's why we link 'em, baby)

*Link Report

There is a serial killer on the loose in the Maryvale area.... I'll pass ;)

Archived