Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tuesday 8/16

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: LHP Wei-Chung Wang at home vs. El Paso (Padres), 7:00 PM pre-game, 7:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: Idle

Brevard County: RHP Cody Ponce at home vs. Lakeland (Tigers), 5:35 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio available for this series...

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Jordan Yamamoto at Kane County (Diamondbacks), 6:10 PM pre-game, 6:30 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: RHP Nash Walters at home vs. Grand Junction (Rockies), 7:35 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the not-so-Giants, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Yankees #2 Squad, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DSL Brewers 4, DSL Yankees #2 2

Harold Chirino went 7 innings and got the win to run his record to 4-4 on the year (7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K). He was also 11-3 for ground outs to fly outs. Albert Paulino worked the final two innings to pick up a save although he did allow his first earned run of the season. Nic Pierre was 1-4 with a 2B, Moises Perez hit his 6th HR of the season and Javier Castillo was 2-3 with a HR and a walk. DSL Brewers Box Score

DSL Brewers Game Log

DSL Catcher Moises Perez.... 6HRs 10 doubles. 20/32 BB/K ratio. OPS of .750 with OBP still at .335 despite lower BA. Only turned 18 a few weeks ago... maybe it is time er start putting him on our radars. Until tonight, I never paid much attention to him. He wasn't suppose to be the stud catcher on this team to follow... stealing spotlight from Sibrian

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yamamoto has a really nice K:BB and K/9. Wonder what his deal is? No one really talks about him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Good news on Santana. I hope he's done with the relapses and we get a good look at him the last 4-5 weeks of the season. It'd be nice to see him in the middle of the order and see if he can be a run producer. I want to see more hustle out of him too and less of the low energy.

Yamamoto has a really nice K:BB and K/9. Wonder what his deal is? No one really talks about him.

Straight FB low 90s, MLB averagish off speed, average command for his level. In short, nothing exciting but good enough to dominate A ball hitters when he's keeping the ball down.

If he wasn't a high school kid I'd say he's your run of the mill college arm in A ball.

He has a reasonable chance to continue to improve, he's made strides with his stuff each year.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Kane County Cracks Rattlers with Four-Run 7th

Cougars snap 2-2 tie to beat Wisconsin 6-2

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Wisconsin Boxscore

Jordan Yamamoto hurt himself with the wild pitch which allowed the 2nd run, otherwise he pitched very well tonight. Crooked innings have been the issue of late, in that way he's similar to fellow Hawaiian Medieros last year who tended to give up his runs in bunches. Jordan had pitched 111.1 innings coming into the game which I thought was neat, now 117.1 which is over 30 innings more than the next closest pitcher. Matt Smith's WI debut was nothing to write home about.

The Rattlers have run up against some excellent defense in the last 2 series, Carlos Belonis was robbed multiple times and Luis Aviles was robbed of an XBH which would have changed the dynamic of the game to end the first. I believes Aviles was in LF tonight because Brandon Diaz was promoted back to BC, though I didn't quite catch all of what Chris said about it as I was walking back into the room at the time.

Lucas Erceg (2-4) had the only multi hit game for the Rattlers, he's settled in around the .300 mark as his sample size continues to grow.

Wisconsin Recap

edit. I didn't mean to post, I meant to preview, I will update when the game story pops.

edit 2. Added game story

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sky Sox Soar Past El Paso 11-3

Wang earns first win of season behind 17 hits from offense.

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Boxscore

It’s nice to have a game like this every now and then: 11 runs on 17 hits, five walks, three El Paso errors, and even a HBP. Garin Cecchini and Josmil Pinto each had three hits to pace the Sky Sox.

Wei-Chung Wang continues a nice run of success surrendering three runs on eight hits over 6 2/3 innings. Wang struck out five and walked none.

Domingo Santana has been bumped up the AAA on his rehabilitation tour. He was 1-3 with two walks (as well as two strikeouts).

Reliever Austin Ross got the first hit of hist professional career - and a double to top it off. He is now 1 for 14 lifetime.

Colorado Springs Game Log

The Sky Sox broke open the game with a big 2nd inning:

Col. Springs Bottom of the 2nd

Garrett Cooper singles on a line drive to center fielder Manuel Margot.

Josmil Pinto doubles (17) on a fly ball to right fielder Hunter Renfroe. Garrett Cooper to 3rd.

Michael McKenry walks.

Yadiel Rivera singles on a ground ball to right fielder Hunter Renfroe. Garrett Cooper scores. Josmil Pinto scores. Michael McKenry to 3rd.

Wei-Chung Wang out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Michael Kelly to first baseman Patrick Kivlehan. Yadiel Rivera to 2nd.

Kyle Wren out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Nick Torres. Michael McKenry scores. Yadiel Rivera advances to 2nd, on a throwing error by third baseman Casey McElroy.

Nate Orf singles on a ground ball to center fielder Manuel Margot. Yadiel Rivera scores. Nate Orf out at 2nd on the throw, center fielder Manuel Margot to pitcher Michael Kelly to shortstop Luis Sardinas.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Giants 6, Arizona Brewers 4, ten innings

Maryvale Box Score

Any word on why Monte Harrison got pulled for a pinch hitter in the 6th tonight? In the top half of the 6th he recorded 2 fly outs playing CF.

We've been trying to recruit a Phoenix area resident to be our correspondent for 15 years. Anybody want to walk to the Maryvale ballpark for these night games?

Maryvale Game Log

Defense the downfall in the 9th, and again in the 10th, you'll see (that's why we link 'em, baby)

*Link Report

Final: Lakeland 8, Brevard County 5

Lakeland takes series opener from Manatees

By Donald Rieber, Jr., 27 Outs Baseball

Brevard County Box Score

The Manatees 14 hits provided a bright spot, but unfortunately 13 players were stranded on the base paths. The team went 4-for-17 with runners in scoring position. Players finishing with 3 hits each included Mitch Ghelfi (3-for-5, 2B), Wendell Rijo (3-for-5, 2B, SB), and Dustin Houle (3-for-4).

One of Cody Ponce's tougher outings, over 4.0 innings he gave up 7 hits, 5 earned runs, 2 walks and struck out 3.

Brevard County Game Log

As noted in the game story George Iskenderian has been placed on the DL (left-wrist injury) and Brandon Diaz will take his roster spot.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So is Wang a legitimate pitching prospect for us now? It's been quite a ride seeing him work his way back after the Rule 5 season and being DFAed.

As far as LHP goes, more legit than Medeiros or Suter. He's 24, so still right on track after bouncing up and down. I see him as a guy that may get the chance to start at some point next season, and we'll see how that goes. If he can't hang as a SP, good candidate for BP. .541 OPS this season vs LHB, so that seems to translate well to the BP if it comes to that.

So is Wang a legitimate pitching prospect for us now? It's been quite a ride seeing him work his way back after the Rule 5 season and being DFAed.

Long answer:

When he was pitching with the big club I thought he had the makings of above average off speed, and if he added a tick or 2 velocity wise he could be something worth getting excited about. His problem at that time was he was pitching with A ball control in MLB so he got behind in counts and his FB got crushed because it didn't have much run.

The only pitching prospect above WI who I've watched pitch this year was Hader, and it wasn't much, maybe 9 innings total, so I haven't taken the opportunity to see if Wang's stuff and/or velocity have improved. From an analysis and research standpoint his control really hasn't improved all that much as he was trying throw perfect pitches and ended up nibbling around off the corners getting himself in trouble. He's been much better since Hook got him to challenge hitters instead of pitching against the strike zone, you don't really have to hit spots if you can keep the ball down and keep hitters off balance, so in that respect he's more effectively wild like a Gallardo rather painting corners like a Fiers. I hope that description makes sense because normally when I'm talking "effectively wild" I'm talking about pitchers like Diplan who are missing spots by feet, not inches, and still having success.

Short answer:

I think the jury is still out on how legitimate he really is, he's looking like a back of the rotation guy right now.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived