Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Monday 8/15

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Hiram Burgos at home vs. Albuquerque (Rockies), 7:00 PM pre-game, 7:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Brooks Hall at Jackson (Mariners), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Jon Perrin at Daytona (Reds), 6:05 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link (Daytona feed)

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Thomas Jankins at Kane County (Diamondbacks), 6:10 PM pre-game, 6:30 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: TBD at home vs. Grand Junction (Rockies), 7:35 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham (@CraigMDurham on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the little Indians, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Yankees #2 Squad, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DSL Yankees #2 4, DSL Brewers 3

Aaron Familia homered in the 9th to make it interesting but the Brewers were unable to add another run. Maiker Pinto started and put up 2's across the board (2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K). Luis Cordero followed and took the loss on 2 unearned runs given up. Cordero went 4 innings giving up 4 hits, walking 2 and striking out 2.

Nic Pierre is back from Arizona and went 1-2 with a double and a walk. DSL Brewers Box Score

DSL Brewers Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Perrin's having a really nice season. Kind of under the radar.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rattlers shut down Cougars 3-0

Four Wisconsin pitchers combine on 5-hit shutout

Wisconsin Boxscore

I'm going to start off with Jake Gatewood tonight because he had been pretty shakey at 1B so far but was brilliant there tonight. I've lamented on Alan Sharkey's struggles at the plate because he's the best 1B to come through the system defensively since the Brewers switched to the Rattlers for A ball. However I was intrigued by Gatewood as a 1B and although I had been unimpressed, I'm hoping this game will be a sign of better things to come.

Thomas Jankins started and went 4 scoreless innings and then was backed up by Conor Harber's 3 scoreless innings as well. Quintin Torres-Costa has been pitching better of late with an ERA just over 3 in his last 10 games, and pitched a scoreless inning of his own. Nate Griep closed it out and needed it as he's been a been erratic over his last 10 games with an ERA over 5.

Troy Stokes (2-4) and Jonathan Oquendo (2-4) had the multi hit games for the Rattlers.

Gatewood's HR was his first since July 25th, he only had 2 HRs in both June and July after his very impressive May.

Wisconsin Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sky Sox Blast Past Isotopes 8-2 In Finale

Burgos earns win behind homers from Pinto and McKenry.

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Boxscore

Welcome to Colorado Springs, Michael McHenry. Boom! Home run and a pair of walks. Well done.

Garrett Cooper had three hits while Josmil Pinto and Kyle Wren added a pair. With his three-hit night, Cooper has raised his batting average to .273 since he was called up to AAA. Wren is hitting .348, and would be 2nd in the league in hitting if he had enough plate appearances.

Lewis Brinson hit the DL after injuring his hamstring yesterday. He’s had a history of hamstring issues in his career. Catcher Andrew Susac, acquired in the Will Smith deal from the Giants, also landed on the DL (although we don’t know the nature of his injury). Susac was on the DL earlier this year with a shoulder issue.

Colorado Springs Game Log

The big hammer for the Sky Sox was a four-run 8th inning, which included McKenry’s HR.

Col. Springs Bottom of the 8th

Pitching Change: Chad Qualls replaces Sam Moll, batting 9th.

Kyle Wren grounds out, shortstop Joey Wong to first baseman Jordan Patterson.

Nate Orf walks.

Garin Cecchini doubles (20) on a line drive to right fielder Raimel Tapia. Nate Orf scores.

Garrett Cooper singles on a ground ball to left fielder Stephen Cardullo. Garin Cecchini to 3rd.

Josmil Pinto called out on strikes.

Pitching Change: Nelson Gonzalez replaces Chad Qualls, batting 9th.

Michael McKenry homers (6) on a fly ball to left center field. Garin Cecchini scores. Garrett Cooper scores.

Eric Young Jr. walks.

Yadiel Rivera strikes out swinging. Wild pitch by pitcher Nelson Gonzalez. Eric Young Jr. to 3rd. Yadiel Rivera to 1st.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Parker Berberet replaces Michael Kirkman.

Parker Berberet flies out to left fielder Stephen Cardullo.

Bats come alive as Shuckers blast Generals 8-3 on Monday

Jacob Nottingham led the 12-hit attack by going 3-for-5 with a homer

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/7/8/0/195806780/cuts/Nottinghamthumb2_7y24v4yv_ljhsz9v0.JPG

Jacob Nottingham blasted his ninth home run of the season on Monday night. (Mike Krebs)

Biloxi Boxscore

Brooks Hall gave up 2 runs in 5 innings while striking out 1, his strike outs are all over the place if you check his game logs and his K/9 while the best of his career, is just over 7 and falling with today's start. I still believe if he makes it he's a reliever, most will remember I've never been a believer in him as a starting pitcher, his K rate just isn't high enough.

The Shuckers pounded out 12 hits in a veritable offensive explosion, Jacob Nottingham was the only hitter at the top of the order to do significant damage with 3 hits including the HR though Clint Coulter was also on base twice via a hit and HBP. The real story was the bottom of the order as Gabriel Noriega, Tom Belza, and Javier Betancourt, the 7, 8, and 9 hitters, all had multi hit games.

Biloxi Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Final (12 innings): Daytona 4, Brevard County 3

Tortugas walk-off Manatees in 12 innings

By Donald Rieber, Jr., 27 Outs Baseball

Brevard County Box Score

Brevard County compiled 10 hits, but only one extra base hit. That extra base hit was a solo home run from Blake Allemand (3-for-6, HR) who is currently the Manatees hottest hitter. Allemand is now batting .345 over his last 24 games.

The Manatees pitched a shutout over the first 8.2 innings. That included an exceptional 7.0 inning outing from Jon Perrin. Perrin gave up just 3 hits, no walks and recorded 12 strikeouts. With 98.2 innings now under his belt in high-A, Perrin ranks tied for 6th in the Florida State League in ERA (2.46) and tied for 8th in WHIP (1.13).

Brevard County Game Log

The Manatees led 3-0 entering the bottom of the 9th. Freddy Peralta retired the first two batters of the inning and then things went downhill quickly.

Daytona Bottom of the 9th

• Ty Washington strikes out swinging.
    Shed Long flies out to center fielder Corey Ray.
    Juan Duran singles on a ground ball to shortstop Wendell Rijo.
    Aristides Aquino homers (20) on a fly ball to left field. Juan Duran scores.
    Pitching Change: Brad Kuntz replaces Freddy Peralta.
    Brian O'Grady triples (6) on a fly ball to right fielder Elvis Rubio.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Gavin LaValley replaces Reydel Medina.
    Gavin LaValley singles on a line drive to left fielder Malik Collymore. Brian O'Grady scores.
    Chad Tromp called out on strikes.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Helena 12, Grand Junction 5

H-Crew now 7-7, just two games back in the second half standings

Brewers Rock Grand Junction 12-5 on Monday

Serigstad Wins Second Straight Start

By Craig Durham / Helena Brewers

Craig mentions a slew of contributors to the victory, be sure to give a click and quick read...

The best part of the Helena Independent Record's coverage is the photo galleries, another nice collection here. We definitely miss Ryan Collingwood, who was excellent in writing features, getting quotes, and providing video. Without Ryan, save for the photos, the Record's Brewers coverage is pretty much an afterthought.

Helena Box Score

Brewers drew no walks, but five of 14 knocks went for extra bases. Just wish Demi (0-for-4 as the DH) joined in the fun...

Helena Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Indians 4, Arizona Brewers 1

Barring a miracle, there won't be postseason action for the A-Crew, their elimination number is already down to 5 thanks to a red-hot Reds team in the second half. The Brewers are 6-9 (18-25 overall).

Maryvale Box Score

RHP Victor Diaz appears ready to move on to the next phase of his Tommy John rehab; undrafted RHP Jeremy Newton made his first appearance in nearly a month and just his third overall; Brewers committed four errors, but all the runs scored in the game (two off RHP Carlos Herrera, two off Newton) were earned.

Maryvale Game Log

Monte Harrison tripled in five at-bats; Trey York's OBP is .413...

I know that he is only 19, but Orimoloye's OPS is now south of .600. This is why he was not in my top 30 prospects. He has upside, but he has a long ways to go before he reaches it.

Heckuva season for Perrin. He's now at 134 innings; I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last start, but with his low walk totals the innings have likely been fairly light. Maybe he can go 150. I'm cautious about guys below AA, but he will likely be higher on my off-season top 25.

I know that he is only 19, but Orimoloye's OPS is now south of .600. This is why he was not in my top 30 prospects. He has upside, but he has a long ways to go before he reaches it.

Heckuva season for Perrin. He's now at 134 innings; I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last start, but with his low walk totals the innings have likely been fairly light. Maybe he can go 150. I'm cautious about guys below AA, but he will likely be higher on my off-season top 25.

Orimoloye has jacked up his walk rate and is still pretty effective in the running game. I love his projection. Very similar to Brinson in many ways. I'm guessing he is in the process of tweaking his approach and it may take a little while for it to click. Brinson has had very similar growing pains then he exploded. We can only hope for same from Demi.

Overall it has seemed like the hitters are doing better at the end of the season, but Arcia is a nice reminder when it comes to expectations for these super young guys. Even without the lost year due to injury his performance was mostly great defense and excellent contact skills until breaking out last year.

Archived