Brewer Fanatic

2016 September callups (Ben Rowan, Yadiel Rivera, Josmil Pinto promoted)

LouisEly
You act like waiting and delaying their call-up is a serious setback in their development. If we don't give Hader/Brinson a September call-up you are talking about three weeks into season to retain that year of control. That is a ridiculously small amount of time especially with all the off days. If we call them up after the minor league season is finished then you would have to wait till early May to retain that year.

I can't say that is any kind of set back. You could call it a minor set back if you waited for the Super Two cut off which I believe you have to wait till early June for on average. But for a few weeks? That's just smart baseball. If you aren't competing there is just little argument not to wait.

"You act like..." is a rather presumptive statement. I wasn't addressing anything about a callup now hindering or helping their development.

Your point seems highly focused on their MLB service time - a very important point. However, my point is simply that if they're called up now, it still doesn't guarantee they still won't end up back in the minors for enough time that the team would still regain the advantage of the extra year of control. It might not happen, but it also very well could.

Recent example: Wily Peralta spent all of 2014-15 in the Brewers' rotation but earned a demotion to AAA for a couple months (he made 10 starts) -- more than enough to offset the 33 days he had toward the next complete year of service time entering this season. So instead of being FA-eligible after 2018 as he would've been coming into this year (assuming only full years of MLB service time lay ahead of him), now he won't be eligible for free agency until after 2019 at the earliest.

If Hader & Brinson simply need to be done for the season (innings limits, fatigue risks, or whatever), or if their chances for playing time in Milwaukee would be highly limited, then you don't recall them. It's that simple. If those considerations aren't in play, it's very obvious Stearns is extremely bright and generally has yet to make an overtly stupid decision, so you've gotta figure he'd be giving significant weight to any service time considerations. (Translated: If David Stearns feels those guys should come up now, then I trust him enough to believe it's probably a good decision.)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ben Rowen was called up today. Pretty good career numbers in the minor leagues. What surprised me is how many teams he has played for. With those numbers, Why didn't stick with one of them is my question?

Isn't he a submarine pitcher? That could be why, you don't see many of them.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

[if one wants to call up Arcia at the start of August to get him going fine. I still really disagree, but at least he is getting in a lot of reps for that lost year of service time.

What lost year of service time? Arcia would have started 2017 with the Brewers regardless, with his winter ball PAs he's over 2200+ for his MiLB career so it's not like he's been rushed. I do feel the call-up was premature considering Orlando was slumping at AAA at the time, but a month either way has no effect on his service time.

An argument can certainly be made that he would have been better off working on his strength in the off season instead of playing winter ball but that is what it is, even without winter ball he would have collected over 2000 PAs by the end of this season. That's pretty impressive considering he missed a year with a terrible injury.

Even though Orlando is young, he's been playing professionally since he was 16, he has quite a bit of experience.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

[if one wants to call up Arcia at the start of August to get him going fine. I still really disagree, but at least he is getting in a lot of reps for that lost year of service time.

What lost year of service time? Arcia would have started 2017 with the Brewers regardless

I meant control not service time if that confused you. On another note if they wouldn't have called up Arcia when they did or in September putting him on the opening day roster would have been a dumb move. I cannot think of a single reason why starting ones MLB career 15 games sooner in a lost season is worth the possibility of losing a year of control. At that point you might as well wait the 3 weeks to assure you can't lose that year of control. There is absolutely no excuse a non contending team should stick a highly rated prospect on their opening day roster when they have no MLB experience. Most contenders refuse to put high rated prospects on their opening day rosters because it is so easy and you lose so little waiting a few weeks yet gain a lot if they player pans out.

I was using team control and service time interchangeably as you were, because one directly affects the other. It's fairly easy to buy out FA seasons if the player is worthy, locking them up early.

While you are certainly welcome to your opinion, there is very good reason for him to be the opening day SS, he's already played enough in the minors.

"Most contenders..." that whole sentence his hyperbole, as one has nothing to do with the other. The prospects you referring to are bumping up from AA, tearing it up, and being delayed for that year of team control, very rarely are they players who have already spent a full season in AAA. It's the same reason Fielder was the opening day 1B in 2006. A similar situation would have been when Arcia started the year hot in AAA and waiting to bring up him up until mid June of this season to delay super 2 status.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

So far there's only one callup: Ben Rowen.

Guerra, Barnes, and now Blazek are all DL activations. Obviously it's all in the greater realm of September roster expansion, but DL activations in a season like this aren't nearly as interesting as callups.

So far there's only one callup: Ben Rowen.

Guerra, Barnes, and now Blazek are all DL activations. Obviously it's all in the greater realm of September roster expansion, but DL activations in a season like this aren't nearly as interesting as callups.

For now. MiLB teams are still playing. Possibly more after that.

That's why I said, "for now."

In a few different places I'd read about the Brewers' roster expansion, their DL activations were sort of talked about as callups, too, and it bothered me because it's not accurate.

I meant control not service time if that confused you. On another note if they wouldn't have called up Arcia when they did or in September putting him on the opening day roster would have been a dumb move. I cannot think of a single reason why starting ones MLB career 15 games sooner in a lost season is worth the possibility of losing a year of control. At that point you might as well wait the 3 weeks to assure you can't lose that year of control. There is absolutely no excuse a non contending team should stick a highly rated prospect on their opening day roster when they have no MLB experience. Most contenders refuse to put high rated prospects on their opening day rosters because it is so easy and you lose so little waiting a few weeks yet gain a lot if they player pans out.

That contradicts your standing belief. So here is the chance to have a player get 15games of MLB experience and have that experience to be on the Opening day roster. But you're convinced a prospect should never be on the Opening day roster if they've never had any MLB experience.

To gain a year of team control is 11 or so days. Calling up now makes it about 35 days.

Now, you are basing the non-contender portion of opinion on as the team can be constructed this next season at the moment.

There is an offseason of trades and Free Agent signings that can completely switch the outlook of non-contender to contender.

There is money that can be spent for the Team salary. If the team had 115mil committed for next season, your assumption on this would be accurate to leave a top prospect for team control as you're not looking to become a contender based on standing pat. But, this team will have near 60million or more that can spend to attain talent. Should they do that, going in to next season, you'll be heralding If Stearns was planning on spending and creating a team to be a contender next season, Why did he leave guys like Hader in the minors? Who's now thrust in to the Opening day Rotation on a Contender?

What kind of signing could possibly make the team a contender next season right? One they could afford because Talent costs $$$

LA added Kenta Maeda 8years 25million. He's 13-8 3.38ERA 26GS 146.2IP to this point.

Hyun-Jin Ryu was 6years 36million signing. 14-8 30GS-192IP 3.00ERA his first season after signing.

Both certainly major Impact to what was/will be Playoff teams. Ryu 2nd most IP behind Kershaw on that 2013 team. Maeda Leads LA in IP for this season's Dodger team.

To gain a year of team control is 11 or so days.

That would be the case if the player isn't on the 40-man roster. 11 or so days will get him down to 171 days of service for the season, which would tack on an extra year of control.

If the player's already on the 40-man roster, he needs to stay in the minors for 20 days. Any less than that and he'll be credited for a full year of Major League service.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

it seemed odd that the brewers carried a four man bench for a good chunk of the season, and it seems even more odd that they're carrying only a six man bench the day after the minor league seasons have ended. i know that more players can still be recalled or have their contracts selected, but still . . .

It seems the first inclination for many of us is that the short bench is an implication of the Brewers' minor league hitters -- at least those currently on the 40-man roster. It does seem curious how/why they're so stuck on some of the guys currently (Elmore stands out, maybe Kirk N., too) or previously (Flores, for one) on the MLB team when there are oodles of other guys that might deserve a look, whether they're prospects (Reed, for instance) or former prospects (Cecchini, etc.). Maybe Stearns has some positive intentions that aren't what we'd predict with some of those still in the minors -- not that it would be obvious to us as fans... or maybe not.

I don't understand the problem with Arcia getting the call. If the kid's ready, lets get him up here, who cares about the consequences? The Twins have made a living out of "saving" control time over their minor leaguers, yet it hasn't helped a bit. If Arcia ends up being too far ahead of the next wave, then let's cross the bridge when we get there, extend him, or trade him away when his value is high for pitching or prospects. There's more than one way to skin a cat in the biz...

Susac gets a nod because it never hurts to have another catcher and he has MLB experience. He'll most likely be the starting catcher next year as well otherwise in a platoon so he makes sense for several reasons.

working against susac: he has two minor league options remaining. he was optioned in 2015 at the end of spring training, but spent less than 20 days optioned, so his 2015 option was not burned.

ryan braun's second child is due during the next homestand. a roster spot is open if they want to select the contract of an outfielder during his paternity leave. but with yadiel rivera on the roster to back up the infield and domingo santana getting starts in left, they'll probably just use hernan perez as an outfielder during that time.

• 2 weeks later...
add josmil pinto to the list of september call ups.

this is the first time in memory that the brewers have carried four catchers.

Whats interesting too is that I dont believe Pinto was on the 40. Finally filled that last 40 spot.

This move likely has to do with the birth of Manny Piña's daughter.

Seems like this team had to get in a few rolls in the hay before they headed out for Spring Training.

Would seem more important to cover Braun's maternity leave by adding Wren, but what do I know? Elmore in starting OF? Please. Pena didn't miss the game and why would he? His family benefits more by his establishing himself as a major leaguer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This move likely has to do with the birth of Manny Piña's daughter.

Seems like this team had to get in a few rolls in the hay before they headed out for Spring Training.

Would seem more important to cover Braun's maternity leave by adding Wren, but what do I know? Elmore in starting OF? Please. Pena didn't miss the game and why would he? His family benefits more by his establishing himself as a major leaguer.

That's debatable from several directions.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My guess is that Manny's baby was likely born in Milwaukee and she conveniently chose to appear when her father had a day and a half off. Pinto's callup was simply a precaution in case "in case family matters prompted a longer absence."

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived