Brewer Fanatic

2016 September callups (Ben Rowan, Yadiel Rivera, Josmil Pinto promoted)

LouisEly

i'm hoping for:

kyle wren

josmil pinto

wei-chung wang

garin cecchini

josh hader

yadiel rivera

ben rowen

damien magnifico

space made courtesy of:

trade of blaine boyer for a minor leaguer or cash

outright of andy wilkins

outright or trade of kirk nieuwenhuis

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wren has gone ice cold after his hot AAA start.

Huh? In the last 30 days he's hit .314, how is that ice cold? I will say though that he definitely has a bump in stats due to playing in Colorado Springs as his splits suggest so.

596 OPS in August.

August OPS now .728. He's hit .300/.373/.356 for the month. His totals for the year in AAA of .349/.435/.446 are certainly worthy of a roster spot for a 25 year old no matter where he posted them. His road splits are respectable .282/.370/.409.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Kyle Wren has a 20 Power ranking. For him, it's going to be about batting average/OBP. He'll use his speed to get infield hits, stretch some hits into doubles and triples - but he's never going to have a good OPS. But he doesn't have to. He has get on base and play respectable defense, and he has a chance to contribute at the major league level.

Kyle Wren has a 20 Power ranking. For him, it's going to be about batting average/OBP. He'll use his speed to get infield hits, stretch some hits into doubles and triples - but he's never going to have a good OPS. But he doesn't have to. He has get on base and play respectable defense, and he has a chance to contribute at the major league level.

I think his ceiling is that of a guy not unlike Aoki, only he's much younger. Aoki's been a valuable piece for good teams. Brewers are so contact challenged, they'd benefit from having a guy who's patient, doesn't strike out a lot and can run as a 4th or 5th OF.

I think his ceiling is that of a guy not unlike Aoki, only he's much younger. Aoki's been a valuable piece for good teams.

I think the 34-year old version of Aoki isn't too far off, but Aoki showed a lot more power when he was younger. Aoki hit 40+ doubles and double digit HRs in Japan, while Wren has five HRs for his minor league career.

I think his ceiling is that of a guy not unlike Aoki, only he's much younger. Aoki's been a valuable piece for good teams.

I think the 34-year old version of Aoki isn't too far off, but Aoki showed a lot more power when he was younger. Aoki hit 40+ doubles and double digit HRs in Japan, while Wren has five HRs for his minor league career.

Maybe Juan Pierre lite would be a better example?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe Juan Pierre lite would be a better example?

Pierre is a good comp - only Pierre had a better hit tool than Wren. Pierre could put the bat on the ball as well as any player. Combine that with excellent speed, and Pierre had a nice long career. In a lot of ways, Wren is Juan Pierre-lite - a lot like Pierre but not as good in several ways.

Wren has a chance to be a decent major league player - he's just going to be limited with what he can do. From all reports, he's very smart baseball-wise, which will help.

Disappointed in the year Cecchini has had. When they traded for him I had high hopes of another buy low guy that might have success. That guy hit so well his first few years in the minors. Barely a over .700 OPS at CS this season.

But he is pretty funny in those Tim Dillard MiLB Network videos.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think Wren should be added to the 40 man and he can help in the road games in Sept where Captain Kirk is Horrible.I was think Jungmann but they are in a playoff race, but would like to see a starter so maybe they can Skip either Anderson or nelson or Both

Are we likely to see callup info today or tomorrow given the off day?

Also kinda disappointed that I'm going to the game on Labor Day but that's the last day of the minor league season so probably won't get any more callups until Tuesday.

Seeing how we're not in contention, I'm sure they're going to let all the guys finish their respective minor league seasons unless there is an injury at the MLB level. So I doubt we'll see anything done until Monday or Tuesday.

Different regime in place now, but in years past, the Brewers have typically only called up 3-4 guys in this scenario.

Well Guerra/Barnes are definitely getting "called up" today or tomorrow, plus Counsell said one more guy (reported by Haudricourt on Twitter), then others would be called up after the end of the minor league season.

Just wondering if we'll hear the confirmation of Guerra/Barnes/mystery man today or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow.

Well Guerra/Barnes are definitely getting "called up" today or tomorrow, plus Counsell said one more guy (reported by Haudricourt on Twitter), then others would be called up after the end of the minor league season.

Just wondering if we'll hear the confirmation of Guerra/Barnes/mystery man today or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow.

Since they cleared a roster spot, it's likely either a pitcher not currently on the roster, Hader or Burgos, most likely Hader to pitch out of the pen, or Wren who's also not on the 40 man. Usually they don't name a non-roster guy ahead of actually purchasing his contract.

I could see Jungmann, and Rowen and later on when ready, Blazek after the season ends. Since they've already seen Magnifico and Gofourth, I'm guessing they'll want a look at Rowen and to see how Jungmann has progressed.

I don't think we'll see Brinson until around Memorial Day 2017 to prevent super 2 status down the road. Brewers haven't had a lot of guys where that's mattered, but he's definitely one.

I don't think we'll see Brinson until around Memorial Day 2017 to prevent super 2 status down the road. Brewers haven't had a lot of guys where that's mattered, but he's definitely one.

yes def. hope we maximize Brinson's peak years with our contention window. but, wouldn't you apply that to Hader as well? still wish we had waited with Arcia- but maybe it all becomes moot with possible future extensions.

At this point in our teams development I don't think its crucial who we bring up.

Gotta say I wouldn't mind someone capable of hitting above .200

I think that is kind of asking a lot.

Calling up Brinson was a no-brainer before the injury, but now its doubtful.

I heard from a source that before the injury Brinson was going to be called up for sure. Haven't heard if the injury will change that decision.

Honestly, I don't think it matters that much if you call up a guy like Brinson up in September (assuming you're starting him at AAA in 2017). Yes, he gets some service time in September, but you can just push back his call up next year a few weeks if you want to avoid getting him Super Two status. Same thing with Hader or anyone else like him.

I don't know if it helps, but getting a guy a couple of weeks in the majors at the end of the season might be a great incentive for them to prepare for 2017. A kid lives like a big leaguer for a few weeks, and he's got a real sense of the opportunity that awaits him. Perhaps that's a good motivator for certain people.

They called up Arcia and he wasn't playing that well. Brinson is destroying the ball. Would t be surprised if he is called up.

Where/when would he play? Would Craig actually sit Kirk for Brinson or would he be buried as the 5th OF only getting a pinch hit or two a week? I understand it's not like they'd be taking minor league at bats away from him but it would seem like a waste of service time to sit him on the bench.

They called up Arcia and he wasn't playing that well. Brinson is destroying the ball. Would t be surprised if he is called up.

Where/when would he play? Would Craig actually sit Kirk for Brinson or would he be buried as the 5th OF only getting a pinch hit or two a week? I understand it's not like they'd be taking minor league at bats away from him but it would seem like a waste of service time to sit him on the bench.

I don't think they are going to call up Brinson for that reason. We already have a deep OF depth chart and Counsell doesn't play Broxton so I doubt Brinson would get much playing time. I doubt they promote him to get a few at-bats, but honestly I don't know. Maybe the service time just doesn't matter to Stearns. I think if he is called up it is in the same situation as Arcia. They say, "Alright Brinson is the future at CF for this time and it is time for him to play at the MLB level." and then proceed to give him the complete starting gig in CF over Broxton/Newenhesaugsdfjknfs.

Honestly I don't know the likelihood of it happening. I do know I wouldn't just write it off as 100% no chance though. I could certainly happen and I bet it has been brought up.

yes def. hope we maximize Brinson's peak years with our contention window. but, wouldn't you apply that to Hader as well? still wish we had waited with Arcia- but maybe it all becomes moot with possible future extensions.

You have to take advantage of pitchers as soon as they are ready. There's only so many innings in their arms. Can't waste them in AAA.

Well, it depends on how you define ready. I'd submit that not needing a significant innings limitation is part of being ready. As of now, Hader still needs to have his innings limited for the foreseeable future, although one would think that he might have "room" to extend his 2016 innings total a bit this year on the Major League club.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

You have to take advantage of pitchers as soon as they are ready. There's only so many innings in their arms. Can't waste them in AAA.

With that logic he shouldn't be a September call-up. You are adding innings on his arm when he could just go home after the MiLB season. I also don't understand why you would want to lose an entire year of service time because he is "wasting" innings at AAA. First of all the team is going to suck next year and secondly he probably wouldn't even throw 50innings before being called up if you waited for the cutoff. We are going to burn a year of service time over 50 innings wasted at AAA in a lost season? If one wants to call up Arcia at the start of August to get him going fine. I still really disagree, but at least he is getting in a lot of reps for that lost year of service time.

I am fine with calling up Brinson/Hader, but that better mean they will delay them next year to make sure they don't lose a year of control. If we start sacrificing years of control to get these guys started instead of just waiting 2 months longer I am going to really start questioning the thought process of this organization.

There's still no guarantee that just because they've been called up, they're certain never to be sent down again. I get the point of caution re: service time & the arbitration clock, but I'd rather have them producing in Milwaukee than worrying about their service time before they've proven in MLB that the "can't miss" label was correct.

I get the point of caution, but up here in Twins Territory I can't remember the last "can't miss" guy who never got sent back down after his first call up. Might've been Joe Mauer. However, there have been plenty of blue-chip guys since him who've gone back to AAA (Buxton, Sano, Rosario, & Berrios alone this year).

You act like waiting and delaying their call-up is a serious setback in their development. If we don't give Hader/Brinson a September call-up you are talking about three weeks into season to retain that year of control. That is a ridiculously small amount of time especially with all the off days. If we call them up after the minor league season is finished then you would have to wait till early May to retain that year.

I can't say that is any kind of set back. You could call it a minor set back if you waited for the Super Two cut off which I believe you have to wait till early June for on average. But for a few weeks? That's just smart baseball. If you aren't competing there is just little argument not to wait.

Archived