Brewer Fanatic

2016 September callups (Ben Rowan, Yadiel Rivera, Josmil Pinto promoted)

LouisEly

Between the trades of Hill, Lucroy, and Smith and with Guerra, Barnes, Middlebrooks and Santana on the DL most of the would-be September callups are already in MKE. Barring any trades (Torres, Boyer, Braun, Garza) I don't think there will be much for callups.

I think one of Boyer/Torres will get dealt or Boyer will get released to have the opportunity to sign on with a contender creating a spot in the bullpen - I'm guessing Magnifico takes that spot. Jungmann has earned his way back, although I could also see the Brewers letting him end the season on a high note with some confidence. I'm guessing Lopez is on the DR reserve list as he pitched on the DRWL team last year so they will likely rest him in September, but I could see him getting called up just to have bullpen sessions with Tunnel. Barnes and Guerra coming off the DL will fill the rest of the pitching spots; I think they'll be cautious with Guerra and put him in the pen. If Boyer, Torres, or Garza are moved I could see them bring up Hader since they have to add him anyway.

Susac for sure - they almost always want three catchers in September. I don't think there is room for Rivera - they want Arcia getting lots of work, Villar needs the work at 3B, Middlebrooks will come off the DL, and if Santana is activated then Perez will get the sub work in the infield. Not sure about Reed - if they activate Santana they will have six OF (Braun, Broxton, Santana, Perez, KN, Flores). Maybe if KN gets traded/released or if they shut Santana down. If a roster spot is created I could see them adding Wren and bringing him up.

Assuming Guerra, Barnes, Middlebrooks, and Santana are activated I think it's just Susac, Magnifico, and probably Jungmann. If Barnes isn't activated then Jungmann will be for sure, and if any roster spots are created I'm guessing Hader or Wren.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always look forward to September roster expansion. Too much thinking at this time of night to start my own thoughts so I'll react to LouisEly's nice starting post:

- I agree that DL activations may well outnumber minor-league callups.

- I think Susac & Jungmann are sort of no-brainers. In a vacuum, Goforth & Cravy should be, too, as they've been up in the bigs many times. But Goforth stinks worse the more chances he gets this year, and Cravy keeps on NOT getting called up when Goforth keeps getting summoned.

- Lopez might get the call, too, if only to make sure his head's not a mess and to set a good direction for him this off-season.

- Maybe Ben Rowen gets a chance since at some point they'll want to see what they have in him (not unlike Scahill's chance now).

- I think Rivera comes up. He deserves playing time in September far more than Middlebrooks or Elmore.

- For that matter, I could see Middlebrooks even losing his 40-man spot sooner than later. There wasn't anything he did very well at the MLB before he was injured except make outs.

- It's hard to get a read on if there would be much of a market for Boyer and/or Torres, and I'd think there's as much of a chance they're Brewers 'til the season's over as there is that one or both are dealt.

- I've seen more than enough of Ramon Flores and would welcome Michael Reed on the roster in his place. For that matter, I'd also love to see Kyle Wren take Flores' roster spot, but I'm not going to dwell on potential 40-man additions. Suffice it to say, I liked Flores' promise coming into the season but there's been precious little blooming on this flower (multi-lingual pun intended).

Summarizing...

Likely: Susac, Jungmann, Rivera

Maybe: Reed, Cravy, Lopez, Rowen, Magnifico, maybe even Cecchini if Middlebrooks is gone (and I suppose possibly Goforth, though I can't imagine them continuing to give him more chances this year)

They usually call up a few guys just so they get the feel of being on the major league team even if they aren't going to play much. Guys who might be in the mix mid to late next year so some of the jitters get worked out before the real callup.

What are Wilkerson's and Suter's status relative to the 40 man? More particularly, do they needed to be added in the Fall to avoid being subject to Rule 5 designation? I'd like to get them a look because those are two guys I would like to see in Milwaukee next year.

What are Wilkerson's and Suter's status relative to the 40 man? More particularly, do they needed to be added in the Fall to avoid being subject to Rule 5 designation? I'd like to get them a look because those are two guys I would like to see in Milwaukee next year.

Suter definitely needs to be added. The Brewers got lucky last year when they didn't put him on the 40-man roster.

Strategically it makes no sense whatsoever, but just as a fan I would enjoy seeing Dillard.

This. I think we need to see what he can give us

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I just hope they don't call up a bunch of big names just to placate fans. I don't think Arcia should have been up and I'll be upset if guys likes Hader and Brinson and called up. We have plenty of other guys who can fill those roles.

I'd be at least mildly surprised if they added anyone who's not already on the 40-man roster, if only because they've been reluctant to remove many folks from it this year (not counting the 60-day DL). It's currently full so they'd have to remove someone for everyone they'd add.

Once the season's over, some guys who are kept now will surely be goners because there's a whole new set of moves to be made.

I think this FO has been pretty deliberate & calculated about who they promote when, and why (Arcia & Coulter come to mind). They've also sent Youngmann from MLB to AAA to AA and top SP prospect Lopez from AAA to AA -- obviously with good reason, but not what fans would hope to see those players deserve. I don't think any of those moves were made with fans in mind -- in fact, I'd think such motivation for promotion/demotion is blatantly antithetical to how David Stearns operates.

It's also worth remembering that just because Arcia's up now doesn't mean he's up for good, whether that means this year or next.

I just hope they don't call up a bunch of big names just to placate fans. I don't think Arcia should have been up and I'll be upset if guys likes Hader and Brinson and called up. We have plenty of other guys who can fill those roles.

"Placating fans"?? It's the entertainment business. It's all about getting fans to buy tickets. If that's placating them, so be it. Exposure to the big leagues is part of the development process. Top prospects need to face major league competition to reach their potential and learn where they need work.

"Placating fans"?? It's the entertainment business. It's all about getting fans to buy tickets. If that's placating them, so be it. Exposure to the big leagues is part of the development process. Top prospects need to face major league competition to reach their potential and learn where they need work.

Arcia is up. Other than maybe Phillips there are no more prospects that the average fan will really know let alone care about.

I'm thinking a lefty is brought up that is not on the 40 man, maybe Suter or Wang, since both of them will have to be protected if they don't want them exposed to the rule 5 draft. Hader a possibility as well.

I would think at least 2 lefties will be brought up to pitch out of the pen at the very least.

If Susac is out for the rest of the year with his oblique injury, wonder if they'll bring up Pinto (if they weren't going to already). He's barely played catcher lately, though he did actually do pretty well in throwing out runners earlier in the year. The other option for a third catcher in Susac's absence is McKenry, but he's 4 years older than Pinto and is very much WYSIWYG at this point.

Also think they might give Cecchini a look after the AAA season is over. He's not flourished in AAA, though his OPS is 140 points higher than it was last year and he's still just 25. He's teetering on the edge of a 40-man spot this winter, so maybe they give him a look see.

Assuming Hader is healthy, I bet he'll be up after the AAA season. Brinson too if his hamstring injury isn't serious. I'm not sure what to think about Kyle Wren - he's not a great CF and his Tony Gwynn Jr.-esque power does not translate to a corner OF role. But he's had prolonged success in his AAA stint.

Probably a few bullpen arms too, again after the AAA season is over. Maybe see if they have anything in Rowan, and try out Wang/Suter.

"I'm not sure what to think about Kyle Wren - he's not a great CF and his Tony Gwynn Jr.-esque power does not translate to a corner OF role"

The exact same things were said about Scott Podsednik, and Wren's put up better numbers in the minor leagues. Aoki is another example of a guy with limited power who was very effective from a corner OF spot.

The exact same things were said about Scott Podsednik

For every Scott Podsednik, there are probably 10 Tony Gwynn Jrs, if not more. And I'm just talking at the plate.

TGJ is/was a much better defender than Wren.

I agree with that, history proves it. I do have a feeling one of Wren, Reed, Cooper, Rivera, Cecchini, Orf could be the exception. Problem is, just no way you can give all those guys an extended look at the MLB level. Almost all of them are surely AAAA players, but like I said I do think one of them could be an average MLB player- which is a compliment.

Really, the thing they have in common is lack of power. If any of them could maintain a high OBP and add some more power they would be a very good player. My gut tells me Cooper probably has the best chance of adding more pop. Rivera I still believe could be a UT guy, he's still young enough.

Wren has gone ice cold after his hot AAA start. He's actually a year older than Flores, and I'm not a Flores fan either. Depth is just so hard to find throughout MLB right now.

I'd definitely like to see Ben Rowen up, he's been outstanding in AAA for 2 years. He's the only interesting reliever close right now.

I'd like to see Jungmann back up starting too. Hope they go to a 6 man rotation for September.

Calling up Brinson was a no-brainer before the injury, but now its doubtful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wren has gone ice cold after his hot AAA start.

Huh? In the last 30 days he's hit .314, how is that ice cold? I will say though that he definitely has a bump in stats due to playing in Colorado Springs as his splits suggest so.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wren has gone ice cold after his hot AAA start.

Huh? In the last 30 days he's hit .314, how is that ice cold? I will say though that he definitely has a bump in stats due to playing in Colorado Springs as his splits suggest so.

596 OPS in August.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived