Brewer Fanatic

Counsell and the Rebuild

The key year improvement must show up in W-L record will be 2018. I don't see them selling off Braun or any of their mid-20's current controllable contributors in the meantime. Between then and now, it will be a case of adding talent and young talent here now developing further. The 2nd part of that falls on Counsell and his coaching staff. In 2018, Cubs could potentially take a noticeable step back as their pitchers contracts expire and they don't return.

This rebuild has 2 tiers. The first window includes Braun and is relatively short 2018-19. Whether the window stays open beyond that will depend of the emergence of some of their prospects not as just solid major leaguers but actual stars.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The key year improvement must show up in W-L record will be 2018.

Stearns has said many times it's not a good idea to put a time frame on the rebuild, and I agree with him.

For example, what if their 2018 W/L record is every bit as bad as this year- with the following other factors. One or two SP come up late in the year and are effective, or maybe they were in rotation all year, but really started coming on strong at the end. Same for a couple position players. Then, you look at the top 10 prospect list and they're all in AAA/AA AND performing at a high level. Would that scenario be acceptable to you?

There are just way too many unknown factors to say this will even be a .500ish team in 2018. That's ok with me though, as long as you can see real evidence the plan is working by then.

Stearns has said many times it's not a good idea to put a time frame on the rebuild, and I agree with him.

Cover your butt.... That's all the DS statement means to me. If we're really bad in four years, his butt is covered, right? No, no.... We need to see gradual change for the better at the MLB level. If not starting in 2017, surely in 2018.

Cover your butt.... That's all the DS statement means to me. If we're really bad in four years, his butt is covered, right? No, no.... We need to see gradual change for the better at the MLB level. If not starting in 2017, surely in 2018.

No what he means is that he's not just looking for guys in the high minors who will be in Milwaukee quickly after their acquired. Hence why he's gotten guys from across all levels of the minors. Heck the Lucroy trade went from low minors "nobody" prospects from Cleveland to upper minors "big time" prospects from Texas.

Yost is the only manager I really disliked. Given option A or B you can usually argue which one is best, too many times he went with option F which was so clearly the wrong move that it was indefensible. If you are routinely making the only move you could have that makes no sense at all, I'm not happy.

Counsell just seems kind of like a vanilla manager. The time to assess him is likely at the end of next year or 2018 though. If you are bringing in a new manager it should probably be while the team is ready to consider winning and not in the middle of a rebuild.

Yost is the only manager I really disliked. Given option A or B you can usually argue which one is best, too many times he went with option F which was so clearly the wrong move that it was indefensible. If you are routinely making the only move you could have that makes no sense at all, I'm not happy.

Counsell just seems kind of like a vanilla manager. The time to assess him is likely at the end of next year or 2018 though. If you are bringing in a new manager it should probably be while the team is ready to consider winning and not in the middle of a rebuild.

Like said, I questioned a lot of Yost's decisions, especially with the pen. He liked to throw the pitcher just called up in these high pressure 7th and 8th inning situations, which I just didn't get. If we were several games under .500, ok. But in 2007 and 2008 we were smack dab in the middle of the playoff races and he was pulling this crap.

I was ok with Sweum, Macha, and RR. Besides the handling of Villar and Broxton, CC has gotten a lot out of this group. I guess that they each had things I questioned, but Yost's moves was in a category of his own. Funny thing is he's the one with the ring....

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In 2008 when Yost had Brian Shouse (a loogy who pretty much is unhittable against left handed hitters) walk Ryan Howard (who struggles mightily against lefties) and then pitch to Pat Burrell, (a righty who kills lefties) and then basically said "I was going with my gut feeling", he pretty much admitted he has no idea what he was doing.

While I think it's fine (and important!) for managers to do "outside the book" managing more than most MLB managers do, what Yost often did was the opposite of what any reasonable or rational person would do, just because he's stubborn and he seemed like he likes to be contrary. When he got fired, he absolutely deserved it, as he was making absolutely awful bullpen decisions that were putting people in poor position to succeed.

I'm concerned with how well he can teach the game, I do understand that people think he's really smart but I have a very hard time getting past his horrible batting stance, nothing about it made sense. I'm mostly concerned with the player development side and if he nails that with the prospects as they come up I'll be happy.

The organization seems enamored with him so he'll stick around for quite a while.

To be fair, Counsell did change his batting stance to a more traditional one, one of the last years of his career. Better late than never I guess.

Archived