Brewer Fanatic

Ronnie Gideon

Admittedly, haven't seen him, but I see the scores and they tell me it's time to bump him up a level. Tearing up the Pioneer League to the tune of .333/.390/.645 with 10 HR. Sharkey's not exactly blocking his path to Appleton at 1B with his .458 OPS.

Anybody seen Gideon and have any insights?

Sharkey's not exactly blocking his path to Appleton at 1B with his .458 OPS.

It's not Sharkey who is blocking 1B in Appleton, but Gatewood (who I think is going to be awesome there). with that said, I'd love to see what Gideon could do at Wisconsin this year- he's definitely shown he can hit R+. #understatement #sorry for the hashtag use #not really #ok stop)

also its too bad Sharkey hasn't shown even average offensive ability- has incredible glove. although not old for the league (22), he's shown very little on the offensive end, in fact regressed big time in his 2nd year w/ the Rattlers, and with the influx of low level 1B talent, it'll be hard for him to find a roster spot in Milwaukee's system next year.

It's not Sharkey who is blocking 1B in Appleton, but Gatewood

I'm not one to argue, but I don't follow what you mean here. Gatewood has been playing mostly 3rd this year, only 11 games at 1st, and was strictly SS prior to 2016.

Are you considering Gatewood a first baseman now, or are you considering Gideon a 3rd baseman? (Gideon played 3rd in college, but has only played 1st this year with Helena.)

It's not Sharkey who is blocking 1B in Appleton, but Gatewood

I'm not one to argue, but I don't follow what you mean here. Gatewood has been playing mostly 3rd this year, only 11 games at 1st, and was strictly SS prior to 2016.

Are you considering Gatewood a first baseman now, or are you considering Gideon a 3rd baseman? (Gideon played 3rd in college, but has only played 1st this year with Helena.)

Since Erceg got called up he's been primarily at 1st base.

I would suspect there's a good chance Gideon bypasses Appleton altogether and starts next year High A along with Erceg with Gatewood starting out back at Appleton.

I would hate to ruin a young guys confidence by jumping a level and starting out in a pitchers league. Let him play half a season in Appleton (not that the early spring cold is much better I suppose), then move up.

I would think Erceg would get put in BC to start the year and Gatewood can switch back to 3B again when that happens.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think there's any way Erceg is at Appleton unless he totally caves in the next month. I'm not sure why you would think Gideon would pass Erceg who had better numbers at Helena and is like 7 months younger than Gideon.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I would hate to ruin a young guys confidence by jumping a level and starting out in a pitchers league. Let him play half a season in Appleton (not that the early spring cold is much better I suppose), then move up.

They won't be in Brevard County any more. So while they still may be in a pitcher's league (though not guaranteed). at least they won't be in an extreme pitcher's park. So placement in A+ should be less of an issue.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think anybody mentioned Gideon passing Erceg, it was suggested both could be at BC next year.

Ah, you are correct. I misread that sentence. My mistake.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They won't be in Brevard County any more. So while they still may be in a pitcher's league (though not guaranteed). at least they won't be in an extreme pitcher's park. So placement in A+ should be less of an issue.

This is a great point, and such a good thing to be able to say. Obviously we still have uncertainty about the conditions in which our A+ team will play. But if there's a decent chance the conditions will be more balanced, that's cause for optimism.

Re: the mention above of moving Gatewood back to 3b, does anyone have information about the nature of his move to 1b? Did they decide he's better off developing there, or was it purely a convenient temporary move and they still think he can stick at 3b?

I don't think the closed the book completely on 3B for Gatewood, but 1B is the plan for now. As a former SS, hopefully he is athletic enough to be able to play both positions as he moves through the system. Or, if he plays 1B really well and hits .800 plus, probably no sense in moving him again.

It makes sense for Erceg to start in A+ next year, unless he's terrible this final stretch, with Gatewood (3b) and Gideon (1b) in Appleton. I've never been a fan of Gatewood and think he has a very small chance of ever making it to the MLB level so I don't really care what happens with him.

Gideon is only 21, relatively young for a 4-year college signee, so at least he's not a 23 or 24 year old dude mashing Pioneer League pitching. Same story with Wes Wilson.

Gideon was a 3 year player. In fact, he's very inexperienced. He logged just 256 at-bats. By comparison, Corey Ray had 610. I think the Brewers will take it slow with Gideon because of this.

Also interesting is that Gideon barely played 1B in college. Most starts were at 3B, with a few in LF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Gut tells me Gideon, Erceg, and Gatewood should all start next season in WI. They have the DH too, so plenty of ABs to go around.

They've been aggressive with assignments, which sounds like a good thing. Sort of like being "aggressive on the basepaths" which has come to mean aggressive = stupid.

They know these players better than any of us, so if they feel any/all of the three are ready for A+ ball, wherever that may be, fine. But I remain concerned that they're pushing some of these guys up before they're ready. Diplan/Peralta looked really good, and I can see why they got bumped up. But they're both very young and I really wanted them to just finish the full season in WI. Well, now they're struggling. Collymore was sent to BC and seemingly forgotten about, and now he's hitting .105 or whatever it is.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. Only so many positions on the field, sp something has to give. Other times, you have older college guys who have to keep moving up or move on. Or, some guys just need to be challenged. I get all that, just seems the organization may have been a little too aggressive this season.

Yeah Gideon was only drafted as a Jr and played pretty sparingly at A&M his freshman year he broke his foot. His Sophmore year was his best year where he started 36 of 44 games. Then his Jr year he wasnt even a full time starter. So far he's looking like a hell of a steal even though he was a HS All American in Texas. I just doubt they skip levels with him because he hasnt had a ton of AB's (53, 136, 76) throughout college. He'll be exciting to see in Appleton.

Archived