Brewer Fanatic

Prince Fielder's career ends due to medical issues

MrTPlush
A couple of nice additions next year to the Wall of Honor in Hart and Fielder, I won't miss it when Fielder finally makes his return back to Milwaukee. Doubt Fielder gets his number retired but should be voted into the Walk of Fame rather easily even though they never seem to vote anyone in.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to see, but at the same time, glad to know that the Brewers weren't the ones on the hook for the remainder of his contract....even if it's actually an insurance company who'll be left holding the bag for most of the balance of the deal.

(I seem to recall the Orioles having trouble with the insurer when Albert Belle was forced to retire; hope the Rangers don't run into similar problems.)

More than anything else, I hope the injury does not cause lasting problems for his post-baseball life.

Prince Fielder is not even close to being a HOF player nor should retiring his number even be considered.

That being said Braun/Fielder combo was one of the greatest things in franchise history. Miss those days a lot.

Seeing Weeks as a part-time LF in Arizona and learning of both Hart's and Fielder's retirements has made this a hell of a week for feeling old.

I always figured Prince's body would give out early, but it's sad to see the end come so much faster than I'm sure he expected. He was one of a kind. One indelible image of him stands out for me above all others, my favorite baseball moment I ever saw in person:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v6511913/sfmil-fielder-blasts-a-walkoff-home-run-in-extras

Goodnight, sweet Prince.

Doubt Fielder gets his number retired but should be voted into the Walk of Fame rather easily even though they never seem to vote anyone in.

Joe Adcock was added this year.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Right, another guy who never played for the Brewers. The Brewers have been around for nearly 50 years and not even half of the guys inducted into the Walk of Fame even played for the Brewers (9/19). Thankfully Fielder will be added to the list.

Right, another guy who never played for the Brewers. The Brewers have been around for nearly 50 years and not even half of the guys inducted into the Walk of Fame even played for the Brewers (9/19). Thankfully Fielder will be added to the list.

I can't think of any Brewers who are an obvious omission (Prince isn't an omission yet). But I can think of one Brave (Del Crandall).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Obviously I don't think Prince is a HOFer. But it's interesting to think about how close he would be, he's at 319 HRs, if he hadn't the first neck injury and missed a year that's 350, this years would be 380-390. Tack on just 3-4 more years of mediocre play and he's in the neighborhood of 500 HRs without any steroid ties (and very unlikely with his shape) and a respectable avg/obp to go with it.

Specific to Brewers, I don't think I would retire either. But on the other hand, our weak history of a franchise he's probably top 5-6 players we've ever had with a strong argument as #4 after Yount,Molitor, Braun.

Braun will be an interesting debate down the line if he plays out his contract here. Very good chance at legit HOF if not for PEDs and will be statistically the best or 2nd best player in franchise history. But the HOF standard mentioned before won't be there.

Prince Fielder is not even close to being a HOF player nor should retiring his number even be considered.

That being said Braun/Fielder combo was one of the greatest things in franchise history. Miss those days a lot.

Maybe someday Braun & Fielder can have a combined statue outside Miller Park. Pretty much the best 3/4 combo in the past 20 years of Brewers history.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They should retire his number. He's one of my favorite players of all time. He played the game as hard as any Brewer ever. His inside the park home run in the Metrodome was great fun and a moment I'll never forget.

Prince is famously soft-spoken, but I would love for him to be a part of the Brewers organization in some capacity in the future. He will always be a Brewer in my mind.

As far as Walk of Fame, I'd love a statue of something like this:

http://www.prosportsblogging.com/psb/uploads/2012/01/fielder.jpg

Gruber Lawffices

I don't think anyone is surprised that Prince is going to have shorter career then Braun or most of the other Brewer stars from that era, but I don't think a neck was on the list. I agree that his time here was great and hope they can find a fun way to celebrate that

Both Prince and Cecil hit 319 HRs.

For as much as he hated his dad, that's gotta be something that doesn't sit well with him.

Or that Cecil beat him by 1 in single season personal record, 51-50. When he was young he had such an angry look when he'd hit. I always wanted to see some fan yell "you'll never get out of the old man's shadow, Prince" while he was at the plate. I bet he'd have hit the ball about to Greenfield Ave.

Frustrating that for such a powerhouse 1-2 combo that Brewers have a NLCS appearance and wild card appearance as only thing to show for it.

http://i.imgur.com/olw4JKd.jpg

I took this photo back in 2008 (I think?). It was a 9th inning monster homerun. One of my favorite Prince memories. We still lost the game, but my son was just a little guy at the time and he/we had so much fun that night. Now he's 19 and we both just brought this picture up.

I'm glad Prince happened. I wish he'd get more time in the game.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Well he is not really retiring. I didn't look through the thread if this was already posted but here it is anyways:

To be clear: Prince Fielder is not retiring. He is medically disabled and doctors will not clear him to play, sources say.

Archived