Brewer Fanatic

Brewers System Names Hall of Fame

Crash2303

not sure if this should have been in the Minor Leagues forum, and is probably more of an offseason forum topic, but regardless, was thinking of all the great names that have played in our system, I know we've made lists like this in the past, but who would be in your Hall of Fame? or maybe to help whittle it down- top ten? and furthermore, "best nicknames"? here are a few to kick it off:

NAMES

Brent Brewer

Maverick Lasker

Hobbs Johnson

Bucky Jacobsen

Gentry Fortuno

(always wish we would have signed Nick Bierbrodt)

NICKNAMES

Capn Lou

The Ignitor

The Kid

Mega Thomas

Hurricane Irribaren

Turbo/Turnblow

Stormin Gorman

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
stosh wawrzasek!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Lafayette Currence

Rich Folkers

omg, I completely thought these were jokes, or some nickname I didn't quite get. then I looked them up. lol. and Lafayette was actually his middle name, his first name was Delancey. wow.

also need to throw in Cutter Dykstra in the mix.

Lafayette Currence

Rich Folkers

omg, I completely thought these were jokes, or some nickname I didn't quite get. then I looked them up. lol. and Lafayette was actually his middle name, his first name was Delancey. wow.

I remember watching Lafayette Currence pitch relief in a game I attended back in '75, so I was curious and looked him up. I see he played AA ball at Thetford Mines. I already know Jim Gantner played there because I've always been curious where this town was and all that. So I look at the roster and I see eleven guys from that team played in the majors, including Larry Yount.

We have some great names in the system right now:

Oluwademilade Oluwadamilola Orimoloye

Bubba Derby

Damien Magnifico

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Lafayette Currence

Rich Folkers

I remember watching Lafayette Currence pitch relief in a game I attended back in '75, so I was curious and looked him up. I see he played AA ball at Thetford Mines. I already know Jim Gantner played there because I've always been curious where this town was and all that. So I look at the roster and I see eleven guys from that team played in the majors, including Larry Yount.

Yes, the Thetford Mines team. Hard to believe they played AA ball in a town like that. And, according to Wikipedia, they only drew 16,000 fans for the whole SEASON!

Yes, the Thetford Mines team. Hard to believe they played AA ball in a town like that. And, according to Wikipedia, they only drew 16,000 fans for the whole SEASON!

Further reading on the Mines shows Ken Macha was a stud there in '74, putting up 1.024 OPS for the season.

• 3 months later...

I love I share the same home state with Billy Jo Robidoux, that he's a Massachusetts native (and not Texas, given his moniker), that he's soon to be 53 years old and still goes by Billy Jo at that age (William Joseph), that he's still active within the game (see below), and now he's a Hall of Famer.

Pittsfield's Tom Grieve headlines Western Mass. Baseball Hall of Fame Class of 2017

Joining Grieve as electees:

- Billy Jo Robidoux of Ware, who played big league ball with the Milwaukee Brewers, Chicago White Sox and Boston Red Sox. He's now active as an umpire of local high school and college baseball.

Baseball Cube page

Dang, we thought a Colorado Springs and Lancaster combo would have been bad for projecting prospects (thank you, Mudcats!), Robidoux played in Stockton, El Paso, and Denver, no wonder we fell in love with those OPS figures (before we knew what OPS was!).

Archived