Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez DFA'd by the Astros (Latest: released, post 98; signs with Rangers, post 128)

jjgott
Sign him cheap, let's see gold glove defense, a .350 OBP, and 15 HRs/25 steals at the deadline ....then trade him back to the Astros for a couple top 50s. :laughing

He doesn't play GG defense anymore. Outside of two years his offense has been average at best.

He doesn't have a .350 OBP or hit 15 HRs by the deadline either. It was a wish list.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sign him cheap, let's see gold glove defense, a .350 OBP, and 15 HRs/25 steals at the deadline ....then trade him back to the Astros for a couple top 50s. :laughing

He doesn't play GG defense anymore. Outside of two years his offense has been average at best.

He doesn't have a .350 OBP or hit 15 HRs by the deadline either. It was a wish list.

Wish in one hand, crap in the other. I see no good reason to expect him to be worth anything at the next deadline.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Rangers have signed Gomez to a minor league contract. The plan is for him to start out at Round Rock, although GM Jon Daniels "expects to have him in the majors in a hurry."

Rangers' agreement with outfielder Carlos Gomez heats up in-state rivalry with Astros

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Wish in one hand, crap in the other. I see no good reason to expect him to be worth anything at the next deadline.

Many saw no good reason that Aaron Hill would be worth anything at this year's deadline, but he was. Granted it wasn't much, but it was something.

Gomez is younger & has had greater success more recently than Hill before this season. While the most likely outcome is that Carlos won't have any value at the 2017 deadline, a lot can happen between now & then. Especially with a whole offseason to hopefully get his body right.

He's going to be their everyday left fielder. Now that's funny!!!

Why? I'm not trying to be snide, I'm honestly wondering what you mean. There are worse starting options out there, though I think if Gomez is to recover his value it has to be as a centerfielder.

But for now I'm just happy for him that he has an every day job. If he rebounds, maybe he can find a market for him as a CFer yet in the offseason.

He's going to be their everyday left fielder. Now that's funny!!!

Why? I'm not trying to be snide, I'm honestly wondering what you mean. There are worse starting options out there, though I think if Gomez is to recover his value it has to be as a centerfielder.

But for now I'm just happy for him that he has an every day job. If he rebounds, maybe he can find a market for him as a CFer yet in the offseason.

Why? I watched him first hand here in Houston flail at pitches, corkscrew himself into the ground and out of his helmet, take horrible routes in the outfield, run bases about as bad as a little leaguer and overall be a non factor for his year here. He was loved in the clubhouse, but that was about his only saving grace. I'm actually happy he's in Arlington because hopefully that derails them. I hate the Rangers.

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
.291/.371/.564 with 140 OPS+ and >10% BB rate in 124 PAs since his callup.

[sarcasm]Yeah, he's not worth anything anymore.[/sarcasm]

Image of Astros management watching Gomez highlights:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/224/4315/1024/students5041.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Maybe we can trade Braun to the Rangers too. They can just become our major league team while Milwaukee can continue to be a minor league farm team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's amusing to think of what happened between the two trade deadlines as effectively a three-team trade:

Brewers get: OFs Lewis Brinson, Ryan Cordell, Brett Phillips, and Domingo Santana; Ps Josh Hader, Adrian Houser, and Luis Ortiz.

Rangers get: C Jonathan Lucroy, OF Carlos Gomez, P Jeremy Jeffress.

Astros get: P Mike Fiers.

The Brewers and Rangers both got exactly what they wanted: diverse, high-level talent for the Brewers, championship-caliber contributors for the Rangers. The Astros got a no-hitter and . . . well, their organization has other wonderful qualities.

BTW, I just noticed that Mike Fiers is leading the AL with 17 wild pitches -- more than his career total before this year and more than twice his previous career high. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Great to see Carlos having fun again. I don't even care that he's doing it against us, because the micro-tank to the finish line is on.

Archived