Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez DFA'd by the Astros (Latest: released, post 98; signs with Rangers, post 128)

jjgott
clancy, the market may not be good to Carlos. I'd love to sign him to a unique contract like some guys coming off Tommy John get. That is, league minimum for the rest of the year and $6-8 million for next season. We could then swap him at the deadline again. Given our uncertain CF and RF in the near future, adding a veteran with Gomez's talent could be a nice move, especially as a short-term strategy and knowing that he loves Milwaukee

I'd add a team option, but I like the concept.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clancy, the market may not be good to Carlos. I'd love to sign him to a unique contract like some guys coming off Tommy John get. That is, league minimum for the rest of the year and $6-8 million for next season. We could then swap him at the deadline again. Given our uncertain CF and RF in the near future, adding a veteran with Gomez's talent could be a nice move, especially as a short-term strategy and knowing that he loves Milwaukee

I really like this idea. And I think Gomez might be interested.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Broxton is now batting .250/.368/.406. Why are we even discussing bringing Gomez back? All you're hoping for is he's maybe decent so you can get a lottery ticket back for him while pushing Broxton further down the depth chart. The possible reward is not worth delaying his development.

Broxton is now batting .250/.368/.406. Why are we even discussing bringing Gomez back? All you're hoping for is he's maybe decent so you can get a lottery ticket back for him while pushing Broxton further down the depth chart. The possible reward is not worth delaying his development.

1. Broxton could be a flash in the pan, could get hurt, etc.

2. Reed didn't exactly set Colorado Springs on fire, and I'm probably higher on some of his skill sets than most here.

3. Phillips and Brinson are probably not going to be ready for Milwaukee until 2018.

4. Santana has had problems staying healthy.

5. A Gomez rebound could lead to someone paying a bit for him. What's wrong with getting a couple more lottery tickets, especially if the price is quite cheap? I bet the Crew could get Gomez to come back on a one-year deal with an option year for about $3-4 million a year.

DHonks is right - the pickings are gonna be slimmer than an anorexic supermodel for Gomez. If he stinks, the Crew's not out much. If he rebounds, the Crew can sell relatively high, maybe for the kind of return Gerardo Parra got.

1. But he's not right now, he's playing well and you're suggesting signing a guy who's been terrible for a year to replace to maybe hope he can play well enough so we can trade him later.

2. What does Reed have to do with anything?

3. Once again, what do Phillips and Brinson have to do with anything?

4. Sure Santana has had trouble staying on the field but he's on the field now and so is Braun which leaves only CF open. That spot should be Broxton's.

5. A Gomez rebound gives us a lottery ticket like Barrios, maybe slightly better while putting another lottery ticket in Broxton on the bench or in the minors. It's a net zero gain if everything goes well. If Gomez continues to be terrible, we pissed away a few million and delayed the development of a young, athletic CF who is showing promise in the majors right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A Gomez rebound probably nets us a guy like.....Broxton. Given that Broxton has finally seemed to "figure it out", I'd much rather spend a year letting the guy play and see what we have with him, than giving a 30 year old Gomez play it out, for the possible option of maybe flipping him for another lottery ticket, which in and of itself seems to be a longshot at this point.

A Gomez rebound probably nets us a guy like.....Broxton. Given that Broxton has finally seemed to "figure it out", I'd much rather spend a year letting the guy play and see what we have with him, than giving a 30 year old Gomez play it out, for the possible option of maybe flipping him for another lottery ticket, which in and of itself seems to be a longshot at this point.

Agreed. And I would guess Stearns does too. Let's continue on with Keon

There have to be other rebuilding clubs, or perhaps a contending club, that can allow Gomez a chance to just play and not press to show results and hopefully he figures it out. I'm glad he's got that connection with Milwaukee, but at this point, we've already got a guy on our roster who is figuring it out and is cheaper. Next season, if our regulars get injured, we've already got a few guys who are maybe tweeners, who can be backups and do it on the cheap.

*Edit - and I know, the Brewers payroll will already be low, so we could likely afford a cheap flier on Gomez. I don't like the cost of paying him and the cost of putting someone like Broxton on the bench, when a flip of either one could result in a similar player - or in Broxton's case, possibly a better one.

I've consistently mentioned Gomez for RF/CF. I've never said we should get Gomez and start him consistently over Broxton. last year I thought Santana looked really exciting, especially given his minor league record compared to Nelson Cruz. As of now, Braun may be a 125-game starter and Santana and Broxton--2 guys I'm very high on and have never said a bad word about--have yet to shown they deserve to start 162 games. Of the first ~80 games next year, it should be quite possible to find 55-60 games for Gomez to start between all 3 OF spots and the DH. He could hopefully show teams he deserves to play everyday and CF again, while refunding his offensive game in the only place he's had success.

I've consistently mentioned Gomez for RF/CF. I've never said we should get Gomez and start him consistently over Broxton. last year I thought Santana looked really exciting, especially given his minor league record compared to Nelson Cruz. As of now, Braun may be a 125-game starter and Santana and Broxton--2 guys I'm very high on and have never said a bad word about--have yet to shown they deserve to start 162 games. Of the first ~80 games next year, it should be quite possible to find 55-60 games for Gomez to start between all 3 OF spots and the DH. He could hopefully show teams he deserves to play everyday and CF again, while refunding his offensive game in the only place he's had success.

And this is fine for me, but as others mentioned earlier, there are several 'ifs' in these scenarios. As much as Carlos seems to enjoy Milwaukee, it might be too many ifs for him - and for the Brewers, for that matter.

We'll see. At this point, I don't want to see anyone take at-bats from Broxton until the club is ready to move him or keep him, whenever that might be.

Of the first ~80 games next year, it should be quite possible to find 55-60 games for Gomez to start between all 3 OF spots and the DH. He could hopefully show teams he deserves to play everyday and CF again, while refunding his offensive game in the only place he's had success.

We're rebuilding. You don't find games for a 30 year old looking to rebuild his value when you have two younger, cheaper options ahead of him. You see if the younger, cheaper pieces can be part of your core. You aren't going to find that out by sitting them on the bench.

If Gomez played a position where we had no young players ready to contribute to the big leagues, sure bring them in but we do. Let him find somewhere else to play.

@KeonDDBroxton is batting .375 (24-for-64, 3hr, 11rbi, 10sb) in 22g since being recalled on July 25, including 3 hits last night. #Brewers

I will take the small sample and possibility of what could be over Gomez. Even if Gomez wants to be a 4th OF. I like Carlos. He has a great attitude and seems to be likeable. But I think at this stage in his career let him try and help a club who is trying to win.

Of the first ~80 games next year, it should be quite possible to find 55-60 games for Gomez to start between all 3 OF spots and the DH. He could hopefully show teams he deserves to play everyday and CF again, while refunding his offensive game in the only place he's had success.

We're rebuilding. You don't find games for a 30 year old looking to rebuild his value when you have two younger, cheaper options ahead of him. You see if the younger, cheaper pieces can be part of your core. You aren't going to find that out by sitting them on the bench.

And I view things differently. I view a rebuilding club as one that should be looking at every sort of buy low scenario. If you can acquire an asset cheaply, then flip it for a return, do it. There's no guarantee Gomez or Boras would be interested in a reunion with Milwaukee. But given how players generally have ignored Milwaukee throughout my lifetime, I like the idea of buying talented players at a low-point and flipping them later for something. Like we said before, it worked with Jeremy Jeffress, Kevin Seitzer, David Weathers, etc. Would Broxton missing out on 10-20 starts in the 1st half next year ruin his development? Absolutely not. Players are not supposed to play 162 games. They need breaks, and giving 1-2 starts per week to Gomez for the first 3 months would not stunt his development. And just in case Broxton has a season like Santana's '16, it would give us depth.

This year the Brewers played 103 games before the trade deadline, that's 309 OF starts. Say you gave Gomez 1 day a week in LF & 1-2 days a week in CF/RF. Something like LF: Braun 85, Gomez 18. CF: Broxton 76, Gomez 27. RF: Santana 76, Gomez 27.

That would break down as Braun 85, Broxton 76, Santana 76 & Gomez 72 before the deadline, assuming no injuries. You can tweak the distribution of games to your preference but I think if the situation is managed mindfully there is enough room for someone like Carlos on the team without majorly impacting the development of Broxton or Santana at the MLB level or Brinson/Maverick on the MiLB side of things as both should probably spend at minimum the first few months of next season in AAA anyway.

I completely understand why many people are huge fans of Gomez, but what I have a very hard time with is that why when every ex-Brewer who had some success for the franchise is available, there is instantly a thread about acquiring him? Why is it so hard to move on?

In Gomez the Brewers finally traded a player at the perfect time, there's no compelling reason to acquire him to try and make lightening strike twice. Braun is in LF, Santana will be back shortly for RF, and l would like to see Broxton get regular playing time the rest of the way.

I'm asking people to let go of the emotional attachment to their favorite Brewer players and view the situation(s) objectively, Gomez isn't part of the future and what's the likely hood he can even net us a prospect of the caliber of Broxton who'd he be replacing?

There's plenty of young talent which needs to be evaluated as part of the future, why delay that for the infinitesimal chance that Gomez would play well enough that some other team will take a chance on him? Starting next season there will likely be a compelling reason to bring up a young prospect and evaluate him in the OF on a yearly basis, that's where most of the organization position depth is. The start of this process is seeing if Santana and Broxton will be part of the future, they are already in Milwaukee, let the young men play and let's see what they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhFcKCcozE

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I rarely ever offer any 'woe is me' sympathies to guys who have made millions, but if Gomez had hit free agency after '13 or '14, he would have been in line for a $100-$150M contract, easily. The decision to sign away free agency years early is probably going to end up costing him 9 figures. I hope he has no regrets, but really, who wouldn't.

On the flip side, if he managed his money wisely, he still made enough to comfortably live off for his entire life.

He seems like a very likeable guy and no matter where he ends up I hope he can turn things around again. I won't count him out. Plenty of guys have had a resurgence after looking like they're done.

I completely understand why many people are huge fans of Gomez, but what I have a very hard time with is that why when every ex-Brewer who had some success for the franchise is available, there is instantly a thread about acquiring him? Why is it so hard to move on?

In Gomez the Brewers finally traded a player at the perfect time, there's no compelling reason to acquire him to try and make lightening strike twice. Braun is in LF, Santana will be back shortly for RF, and l would like to see Broxton get regular playing time the rest of the way.

I'm asking people to let go of the emotional attachment to their favorite Brewer players and view the situation(s) objectively, Gomez isn't part of the future and what's the likely hood he can even net us a prospect of the caliber of Broxton who'd he be replacing?

There's plenty of young talent which needs to be evaluated as part of the future, why delay that for the infinitesimal chance that Gomez would play well enough that some other team will take a chance on him? Starting next season there will likely be a compelling reason to bring up a young prospect and evaluate him in the OF on a yearly basis, that's where most of the organization position depth is. The start of this process is seeing if Santana and Broxton will be part of the future, they are already in Milwaukee, let the young men play and let's see what they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhFcKCcozE

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I can't help but wonder how aggressively they plan to shop Braun in the offseason. He's had a huge year, and if they can find a buyer at the winter meetings, that could make a buy low reclamation project like Gomez a little more attractive -- with the understanding that the full intent is just to flip him again if he plays well, and let him walk after 2017 if he doesn't.

I think reunions with former players are usually bad propositions. The player is usually older and not very good anymore. Capuano, Overbay, Gorman Thomas, etc., etc.

That aside, I've said that I could see a situation where bringing back a person like Gomez may (I stress may) work. But it would really have to be if the following factors were in play:

1. You could get Gomez for cheap

2. The club felt that Gomez could rebound (if they didn't, it's a silly thing to do)

3. The club didn't really have a serious option in CF for the first half of 2017

If all those things don't happen, then forget it.

Gomez is not that old, he's not that far removed from being a good player, and if he can rebound you have a significant trade chip come next summer. He essentially holds down the fort until a player like Brinson or Phillips or whomever is ready. If he flops, no harm. If he does well, you trade him for something. For Gomez, he gets a chance to play regularly in a comfortable environment and rebuild his value.

Again, I don't see anything happening because the club has Broxton looking like a viable alternative for the near future, so there's no need to consider someone else for 2017. And even if we didn't have a viable CF to start 2017, the team would really have to think he could rebound before bringing him on board.

Just curious how a guy in this situation is 'close' to being signed. The Astros are on the hook for all but the prorated minimum. What is there to negotiate, unless they are looking for a commitment beyond this year?

Just curious how a guy in this situation is 'close' to being signed. The Astros are on the hook for all but the prorated minimum. What is there to negotiate, unless they are looking for a commitment beyond this year?

passing a physical maybe?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

See:

Sheets, Ben

Fielder, Prince

Hart, Corey

etc, etc, etc.

I have to believe that we're not the only fanbase that does this, but it certainly is interesting. I absolutely LOVED Gomez as a player, and hated to see him go, but now that he's gone, I have zero interest in seeing him come back.....especially as he's been replaced by a guy who appears to be a cheaper and younger (and at this point....better) version of everything Carlos could do.

Sign him cheap, let's see gold glove defense, a .350 OBP, and 15 HRs/25 steals at the deadline ....then trade him back to the Astros for a couple top 50s. :laughing

He doesn't play GG defense anymore. Outside of two years his offense has been average at best.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived