Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez DFA'd by the Astros (Latest: released, post 98; signs with Rangers, post 128)

jjgott

You never know. Brinson has looked great... for all of 10 games. His bigger body of work this year says he has some work to do before he is ready. It's possible Santana may have a bigger elbow issue and need surgery. Braun could be traded to the Dodgers. Wren or Reed or both could be lost in Rule 5. Then your OF is Broxton, Perez, Liriano, Flores & Nieuwenhuis? Yikes.

In that case I'd take a flyer on Gomez on a one-year-deal after the season, see if he can find it again and make another deadline trade. But no need to claim him now.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You never know. Brinson has looked great... for all of 10 games. His bigger body of work this year says he has some work to do before he is ready. It's possible Santana may have a bigger elbow issue and need surgery. Braun could be traded to the Dodgers. Wren or Reed or both could be lost in Rule 5. Then your OF is Broxton, Perez, Liriano, Flores & Nieuwenhuis? Yikes.

In that case I'd take a flyer on Gomez on a one-year-deal after the season, see if he can find it again and make another deadline trade. But no need to claim him now.

Gomez won't come sign here if it takes a laundry list of "ifs" to have the starting gig.

Gomez won't come sign here if it takes a laundry list of "ifs" to have the starting gig.

and we shouldn't want him for the same reason. Any team in baseball could have space for anyone if five different things went wrong. Even if they all happened, playing Broxton, Perez, and Liriano would make more sense for a rebuild.

After the past season and a half he's had in Houston, it is quite entirely possible Gómez will still be looking for work after previously mentioned list of "ifs" has been sorted out.

Doubt it teams always pick up guys like Gomez. Without looking I am sure there are many teams with some kind of dumpster fire in their outfield they would love to throw Gomez out there in place of. At least with Gomez you can dream he reverts to something like his past.

Yeah, I don't really feel any need to bring Carlos back right now. I want to see what Broxton can do the rest of the way. Speaking of, what are his numbers since being called up the last time? I feel like they're more in line (actually, probably better) with what I expected out of him.

Also, a question on Brinson. Might be an easy silly answer I'm missing, but -- how does he have an average higher than his on base percentage? He's drawn no walks, but his average is .417 while his OBP is .405. I thought they would be the same. What am I missing?

Yeah, I don't really feel any need to bring Carlos back right now. I want to see what Broxton can do the rest of the way. Speaking of, what are his numbers since being called up the last time? I feel like they're more in line (actually, probably better) with what I expected out of him.

Also, a question on Brinson. Might be an easy silly answer I'm missing, but -- how does he have an average higher than his on base percentage? He's drawn no walks, but his average is .417 while his OBP is .405. I thought they would be the same. What am I missing?

Sac flies count against obp but not your average. So if you go 1-3 with a sac fly your average is .333 but obp .250

Please oh please let this happen. I have such a very morbid interest is seeing this. The amount of hypocrisy that will be in St. Louis will be too much and it will probably collapse and cause a Hypocratic Black Hole and suck the whole city in to it.

Please oh please let this happen. I have such a very morbid interest is seeing this. The amount of hypocrisy that will be in St. Louis will be too much and it will probably collapse and cause a Hypocratic Black Hole and suck the whole city in to it.

How would Chris Carpenter explain it to his son??? Oh, please, dear God, this HAS to happen!! It would be perfection.

The amount of hypocrisy that will be in St. Louis will be too much and it will probably collapse and cause a Hypocratic Black Hole and suck the whole city in to it.

Baseball team and fans aside, that would not be a bad thing.

I don't want to see Carlos in that uniform.

Why not? As long as it isn't a Brewers uniform, I don't care where he lands. Like others have mentioned though, I'd love to see him in a Cards uniform.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why not? As long as it isn't a Brewers uniform, I don't care where he lands. Like others have mentioned though, I'd love to see him in a Cards uniform.

Because I like Carlos and I cannot stand the Cardinals. Why would I want to see the two mix? I'd rather he go to another team and figure himself out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Because I like Carlos and I cannot stand the Cardinals. Why would I want to see the two mix? I'd rather he go to another team and figure himself out.

Carlos isn't going to change if he goes to St. Louis and they will praise him for the same things they hated him for in Milwaukee. Or him and Yadi will throw fists in the dugout.

I personally can't wait to see Gomez round third and score the winning run for the Cards, only to untuck his shirt nanoseconds too soon and get beaned in the crotch by Skip Schumaker's Ryan Braun shirsey and Chris Carpenter's vial of his children's tears.

Come on now. The whole untuckem thing was Mike Cameron. [sarcasm]Stop being ridiculous.[/sarcasm]

If there's a team that should take a flyer on Gomez it's Washington. Believe it or not, Gomez's .594 OPS is actually higher than Ben Revere (.575) and not far behind Michael Taylor (.646). Also an upgrade over Matt den Dekker and Brian Goodwin.

Heck, has Nieuwenhuis passed through waivers?

clancy, the market may not be good to Carlos. I'd love to sign him to a unique contract like some guys coming off Tommy John get. That is, league minimum for the rest of the year and $6-8 million for next season. We could then swap him at the deadline again. Given our uncertain CF and RF in the near future, adding a veteran with Gomez's talent could be a nice move, especially as a short-term strategy and knowing that he loves Milwaukee

Archived