Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez DFA'd by the Astros (Latest: released, post 98; signs with Rangers, post 128)

jjgott
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was fully on the BRING HIM BACK DAVE bandwagon on the way to Miller Park last night, but I realize what's not practical about it. If there were more home games left in the season, the "selling more tickets" angle would make a little more sense.

I do think it's possible that Milwaukee is where his mojo is, but of course that's not quantifiable. ;)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I love Carlos and if Broxton wasn't hitting, I'd say bring him in, why not? But with Broxton seemingly turning things around and Brinson waiting in the wings, there's just no place for him on the 2016 roster or even the 2017 roster. I hope he latches on somewhere and turns it around though.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I think at this point it's safe to say the Brewers won that trade. Players can fall off, but outside of injury, rarely have I seen a deadline player completely fall off a cliff so badly like Carlos has n the last 12 months.

When 2 of Hader, Santana, Phillips or Houser are producing in the major leagues, then you can definitively say Brewers won that trade. So far none of those guys has. It's likely at least 2 will, but until they prove it, the trade's not a clear win.

Fiers with a 10-6 record and a 4.07 ERA in an Astro uniform has performed pretty much as advertised for a full season of work and he's controllable for 3 more years. ERA is slightly higher in Houston but he's not facing pitchers most of the time.

Gomez will be a Free Agent in 6 weeks anyway. I don't see the point in signing him at all.

Unless there is some strategy in place for the Brewers to lose as many remaining games as possible to pick higher in next June's draft????

This script could write itself...

Counsell

"Carlos, you know how you were dropping fly balls, left and right, as an Astro? Well, keep that up Big Guy."

Go Go

"Sure thing Coach"

Counsell

"Also, when you get on base, regardless of the situation, just keep running until you are either tagged out or you reach home plate."

Go Go

"I know Craig, you don't have to tell me that. That's exactly what I've been doing for years!"

It worked out well when the Brewers brought back Kevin Seitzer and Jeff Cirillo.

seitzer had only one stint with the brewers organization. cirillo had two.

No Seitzer had two, his second lasting longer than the first.

I think the Brewers want a team with discipline, and I think Counsell is a good coach for this. Gomez does not fit this profile.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Please let him go to St. Louis. I just want to see what happens.

You know exactly what will happen. He'll behave exactly like he did in Milwaukee and they'll discuss how he's changed and learned the "Cardinal Way".

And he'll. 330/.380/.600 the rest of the year.

#pixiedust

I understand the love for Gomez but there isn't one person that should want to bring him back. He doesn't align at all with the current direction the org has taken. And people need to stop saying Kirk sucks and we should take Gomez over him...

Gomez - 210/272/594, 16 doubles, 5HR, 29rbi, 13SB, 21bb, 100K in 295 ABs

Kirk - 209/322/714, 16 doubles, 10HR, 34rbi, 8SB, 44bb, 106K in 263 ABs (also playing better defense)

+ Flores and Perez (who's actually getting the RF time over Kirk and Flores with the addition of Arcia)

IF Brinson is ready next year it's going to be Braun, Brinson, Santana with Broxton as the only true OF backup. Perez will be super utility playing IF and OF (5th guy). There won't be a Kirk and Flores

Seitzer played one year with the Brewers then came back for 3-4yrs I believe. Cirillo came back after Seattle/CO. Both of those players came back where there was a role for them to contribute. They both are solid all-around players. Gomez, is not that and he looks lost offensively and defensively. Lumping him in that category is a huge stretch. Plus he's not even a good bat off the bench.

And you can absolutely say the Brewers won the trade. It essentially turned into Fiers for Santana, Hader, Phillips, Houser. Fiers is 31 and is doing what you'd expect out of a 4/5 starter. He's nothing more than solid and he never will be better than what you've seen and are currently seeing. Santana has already shown what his potential is at this level and he's only 23. Hader is either going to stick in the rotation or absolutely dominate at the back of the pen (this isn't a "maybe" this is for real). Phillips tools haven't gone anywhere he's just having a down year but has the skill set to get back to where he was - he's also young for his level still. He'll be in AAA next year as a 23yr old. Houser is what you expected. He's either going to stick in the pen or he'll be out of the org because he's certainly not a starter. Again, people need to factor in everything instead of simply looking at numbers in a box score (especially when discussing young players)

Seitzer played one year with the Brewers then came back for 3-4yrs I believe.

i stand corrected. there's a reason why present day media guides are so much thicker . . . the content's clarity is vastly improved from media guides of the previous century.

I love Carlos. I'd love to see him back, but that's the heart talking not the brain. Broxton needs to play every day.

I am all for picking up guys like this to see if they can be turned into useful chips. A Gomez would have more potential than a Niewenhuis. I'd just do it at a different position at this point.

Won't bother repeating all the obvious reasons for not bringing him back, already stated perfectly by several posters.

I will just add they also have Liriano. No idea if they still want to give him a shot or not, but I rather take a look at a young guy who got busted in the face over an old CF that can't hit, play defense, or run the bases. Unless he can pitch now, move on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Seitzer played one year with the Brewers then came back for 3-4yrs I believe.

i stand corrected. there's a reason why present day media guides are so much thicker . . . the content's clarity is vastly improved from media guides of the previous century.

Or... online databases. :tongue

The Brewers signed Seitzer as a free agent just prior to the 1992 season after he was released by the Royals in spring training. He signed with Oakland for the 1993 season and was released in July. The Brewers signed him three days later. After the 1993, 1994, and 1995 seasons, he was granted free agency but re-signed with Milwaukee. On August 31, 1996, he was dealt to the Indians for Jeromy Burnitz.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

People want the 2014 Gomez back. I understand that. The Astros were hoping they were getting the 2014 Gomez, too, when they traded for him. The 2014 Gomez is in the past and today's Gomez might never play like that again. He has definitely been one of my favorite Brewers ever, and I hope he returns to glory, but it wouldn't make sense to bring him back. The young CF's need reps to show what they can do
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Seitzer played one year with the Brewers then came back for 3-4yrs I believe. Cirillo came back after Seattle/CO. Both of those players came back where there was a role for them to contribute. They both are solid all-around players. Gomez, is not that and he looks lost offensively and defensively. Lumping him in that category is a huge stretch. Plus he's not even a good bat off the bench.

MKE81, I was responding the comment that player-team reunions rarely work out for the Brewers, and I pointed out two times recently where it did. On the one hand, I don't see a need for Gomez. On the other hand, we are not necessarily set in CF or RF, and our LF is a 120 game player. Having a strong 4th OF is key. I've supported Broxton since the trade and I enjoy seeing his recent success, but it's only been a small amount of time so far. Talk of Brinson for next year is pre-mature. He's had a good week, but I'm not ready to hand him a big league job next year. Santana took a major step back before the injury and because of it. Like I said, I'd try to sign him to a 2 year deal, for the minimum in 2016 and about $5-8 million in 2017.

Exactly there isn't any reason anyone would want him back. First off he literally provides no value to us. It's not like we can sign him and hope to trade him later on. He is going to sign a contract for the rest of the season with a contender most likely. MAYBE if Broxton wasn't hitting well now we could sign him just to attract some Gomez diehards, but to bench Broxton would be stupid. Then this offseason he still won't make any sense. Brinson will be up by July at worst leaving Gomez with no spot to play. Why would he even want that? The fact is he probably wouldn't as there just isn't room for him as a starter. Unless Gomez is ready to accept he is just a 4th OFer he won't come back.

Archived