Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez DFA'd by the Astros (Latest: released, post 98; signs with Rangers, post 128)

jjgott
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlos puts butts in seats, doesn't hurt the rebuild in the long run, and would provide far more potential value than Kirk and Flores no?

Where do you see it that Carlos puts butts in the seats in Milwaukee? It can hurt the rebuild in the long run if we should be auditioning a younger, cheaper, controllable player to see if he can play CF for another season -- and we should be.

Broxton likely has more potential value than Kirk and Flores.

He had to go. The last two games were the cherry on the crap sundae. While it was frustrating to watch him corkscrew himself into the ground, horribly flail away at pitches.....at least he could play defense. Then Monday night happened. You could forgive his horrible routes to balls, but two plays in a row to look THAT bad? No way....well, at least he could run....until last night he forgets how many outs there were. He had to go. I didn't know if Luhnow would pull the trigger that quickly, with Rasmus on the DL. But Carlos left him no other choice.

Maybe this was all apart of the trade plan. Go play terrible for a year and we'll pick you up off the waivers. Carlos did have those comments about hoping to get back to Milwaukee someday.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I want no part of him. I was glad he was traded. I expected him to be bad. Not bad enough to be traded but bad enough we would not regret trading him. He had two good years and his game was based on speed. Not surprising at all that he declined rapidly.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Go get him! Would love to see him back and to see if he can regain some value.

Oh boy, he and Villar running a muck on the basepaths...what a nightmare. Wait, Gomez never gets on base, wouldn't be a problem...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

DS please bring Carlos back to Milwaukee!

We have a HUGE hole in CF right now... Only makes sense to see if he can relive that magic.

We do? No thanks, Gomez taking up space prohibiting Broxton from playing would be a huge mistake.

I'd gladly take him over Nieuwenhuis or Flores. Just only at the prorated minimum, I wouldn't claim him off waivers.

I agree with this. Broxton deserves to start the rest of the year but I would take Carlos as a backup. Given how much Carlos said he loved Milwaukee if no one claims him off waivers the Brewers might be his first choice to sign with for the minimum.

A month ago I would have said go for it. Keon is destroying souls for a few weeks now, I think i'd like to see him get some PT from here and see if we have a player in him. The tools are there, teams have just been waiting for the bat to come around.

I'd like to see Carlos come back. Given that in three weeks, the roster limit doesn't matter. My only concern is that I would see him as the 25th player...not sure if Carlos would see things the same way.

Regarding bringing Carlos back to Milwaukee - I normally don't like living in the past glories of former player. It rarely turns out well bringing back a guy.

That said, Gomez is relatively young - only 30. If the team doesn't like what it sees in Broxton over the next couple of months or have plans for another guy (such as Brinson), I could see giving Gomez a look. If the club think he's healthy, offer him a low cost deal where Carlos knows he's going to get regular playing time. If he does well, we can flip him in a trade. If he doesn't, he's just keeping the spot warm for Phillips or Brinson anyhow.

I certainly wouldn't pay him a lot, and I wouldn't promise him anything other than a chance to prove to the baseball world that he can still play. Other teams might offer the same thing, but he might like the comfort of Milwaukee. If not, no big deal. He's not a part of the future anyhow. He'd just be a babysitter for CF until our young guys are ready.

And I certainly wouldn't sign him if the club wants to give Broxton a regular shot or if they want Phillips or Brinson to take the job by early 2017. No point in him holding anyone back.

It worked out well when the Brewers brought back Kevin Seitzer and Jeff Cirillo. I'd like to bring Gomez back on a 2 year contract for the minimum the remainder of the way and $5-6 million for next year. Broxton may deserve a full look next year, and Santana's had a lost year. It wouldn't hurt to let him compete for the job in CF and RF next year to rebuild value

Go get him! Would love to see him back and to see if he can regain some value.

Why? Just see what Broxton can do. There's no value in signing him now.

you're correct---but nieuwenheis and flores suck. if he costs the minimum, i fail to see the harm

Having Gomez on the roster would only be a distraction to what this team is trying to accomplish. I don't want CC to lose focus, and feel he has to get Gomez playing time. I was probably one of the few who was happy to see Gomez leave Milwaukee, I surely don't want to see him return, half the player he was one he left.

Broxton needs to keep playing, as much as possible. I don't see how this is even debatable.

If he clears waivers, there's really no financial deterrent, because we'd only be on the hook for a prorated minimum. I certainly wouldn't put in a waiver claim on him and be on the hook for the remainder of his $9M.

I'm torn. My heart says bring him back. I know he was happy here and I have an appreciation for guys like him who actually loved it in Milwaukee and produced while they were here. I can't bring myself to believe that a guy who was a great player a year ago suddenly fell off a cliff at 30 and became a terrible player. He's a total buy low candidate right now. I think it's always possible he could blossom again, as opposed to Nieuwenhuis, who we know is a career 4th OFer, and Flores, who is just, well, nothing.

My head says that there's just probably not a role on this rebuilding team right now for a 30 year old slumping outfielder. It doesn't make much sense to take playing time away from Broxton right now.

In the end, he's probably a good fit on someone like the Mets who are in contention and in need of outfield help. At the very worst he's still a good bench outfielder and defensive replacement.

Since he'll be a free agent in the offseason, I could see us calling him if Braun were traded, but probably not otherwise.

Other than 2013 and 2014 he has been about league average or worse as a hitter. Much of his game is built on speed so yeah, it isn't all that surprising he fell off a cliff. It wouldn't be surprising if his defense wasn't very good either. At his age I don't think he is worth picking up to see if we can flip him for a lottery pick.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived