Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez DFA'd by the Astros (Latest: released, post 98; signs with Rangers, post 128)

jjgott

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Brinson knocking on the door along with Reed and Wren around I'm not sure they'll even think about it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

DS please bring Carlos back to Milwaukee!

We have a HUGE hole in CF right now... Only makes sense to see if he can relive that magic.

he is a free agent at seasons end, at best he will only give us a few wins and a worst pick. would rather let Broxton get a chance to play every day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Regarding bringing Carlos back to Milwaukee - I normally don't like living in the past glories of former player. It rarely turns out well bringing back a guy.

That said, Gomez is relatively young - only 30. If the team doesn't like what it sees in Broxton over the next couple of months or have plans for another guy (such as Brinson), I could see giving Gomez a look. If the club think he's healthy, offer him a low cost deal where Carlos knows he's going to get regular playing time. If he does well, we can flip him in a trade. If he doesn't, he's just keeping the spot warm for Phillips or Brinson anyhow.

I certainly wouldn't pay him a lot, and I wouldn't promise him anything other than a chance to prove to the baseball world that he can still play. Other teams might offer the same thing, but he might like the comfort of Milwaukee. If not, no big deal. He's not a part of the future anyhow. He'd just be a babysitter for CF until our young guys are ready.

And I certainly wouldn't sign him if the club wants to give Broxton a regular shot or if they want Phillips or Brinson to take the job by early 2017. No point in him holding anyone back.

Very tough to see.

I think he just needs to get healthy and then find a situation where he can play regularly next year to regain some value.

I don't know, Carlos may be done. It happens to players at different times and for different reasons.

A few weeks ago I thought Carlos on a one year deal to hopefully rebuild value and flip at the 2017 deadline was a foregone conclusion this offseason, and I was fine with that. A little excited, even.

At this point though with Broxton's recent tear and the acquisition of Brinson I hope Carlos can get it all figured out again somewhere else.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back, but I just don't see how there's possibly a place for him in the organization. Maybe if Braun gets traded in the off-season or something crazy like that, then maybe I could see it.

DFA Ramon Flores. Please...seems like a great kid and plays hard but he has shown me nothing and I cannot stand to see another ground out to 2B.

I just hope he doesn't get thrown out before he reaches the waiver wire.

:)

(I'll show myself out.)

Bringing Gomez back won't magically make him productive. He was terrible after the trade last year and has been even worse this year. Why people want him back makes zero sense. And Broxton has been killing it the past 13 games. Brinson will be up at some point by the end of next year to stay for good. You're better off having Broxton play well then trading him since he's only 25 or 26yrs old - or you keep him and found your top backup moving forward.

Go get him! Would love to see him back and to see if he can regain some value.

It was completely unsurprising that a post like this was the 2nd one in this thread.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Go get him! Would love to see him back and to see if he can regain some value.

It was completely unsurprising that a post like this was the 2nd one in this thread.

Carlos puts butts in seats, doesn't hurt the rebuild in the long run, and would provide far more potential value than Kirk and Flores no?

Archived