Brewer Fanatic

2016 Rule 5 Protection & The 40-Man Roster

Mass Haas
I actually like what Stearns is doing for the offense but I don't think he knows a whole lot about pitching. We all called the Diaz thing, this wasn't a hindsight thing.

You act as though Stearns is the only person involved in making these decisions. There are several individuals involved in these decisions (including front office, scouts, coaches, etc.), and "if" Stearns doesn't know a whole about pitching, there are certainly members of the organization that do.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are correct in the fact that Stearns hasn't been in baseball that long, but when you have a guy that throws 98 you protect him. Taylor Williams coming off tj surgery gets protected but you don't protect Diaz? Makes one question the pitching evaluation of players within the organization.

With teams like the Twins in desperate need of pitching (who originally selected him) and the Padres starting a complete tear down, it was pretty obvious that he was going to be taken and likely stick on a major league roster.

We claimed like two guys who took 40 man spots like jericho said earlier and ended up waiving Gennett in spring training. They could've easily just non-tendered Gennett or not made a claim but it's pretty obvious that Diaz had legitimate talent, even though he had never pitched above A ball he was likely to get taken and stick on a major league roster.

Hell, the Padres are so bad they'll probably end up starting him and get him the innings he needs to increase his workload to around 150 innings in the minors next year.

The worst part is we didn't even need to put him in the majors, just put him on the 40 man, let him continue to work as a starter and see where he goes. If nothing else it looks like you have the makings of a potential shut down reliever.

I actually like what Stearns is doing for the offense but I don't think he knows a whole lot about pitching. We all called the Diaz thing, this wasn't a hindsight thing.

You act as though Stearns is the only person involved in making these decisions. There are several individuals involved in these decisions (including front office, scouts, coaches, etc.), and "if" Stearns doesn't know a whole about pitching, there are certainly members of the organization that do.

Diaz was hardly a sleeper. This thread shows we all knew he had this talent. I'd be shocked if Stearns didn't see the sane thing.

What 70 win caliber team who is building for the future isn't protecting a 22 year old vs a barrrel of older guys who are fringe 25 man types? Looks like Stearns is trying to squeeze out as many MLB wins as he can by keeping vet bench types at the expense of future talent. That's just a bad use of assets.

For me it's not really about Diaz. It was claiming a couple nothing, 4A, filler types that could be had at pretty much anytime for nothing over protecting anybody. And then just letting them go on waivers.

It does seem like DS really cares deeply about the MLB roster when he really shouldn't. It should be about the young guys and 2019 not if we have a vet 13th man in the pen.

It does seem like DS really cares deeply about the MLB roster when he really shouldn't. It should be about the young guys and 2019 not if we have a vet 13th man in the pen.

It's a fine line, he has to do what the owner wants, and I doubt Mark A wants a 58 win team. So it makes sense, for example, to get a FA like Thames on the cheap.

But I agree, when the choice for a 40 man spot is between a young pitcher with nasty stuff and a AAAA journeyman relief pitcher, you protect the young pitcher. No GM is perfect, but these decisions are going to be so important moving forward.

I'm going to have to ignore all of the Diaz talk this year. The move didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now and won't make sense in the future. Shockingly shortsighted move for a FO that has been very forward thinking so far.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

It's a fine line, he has to do what the owner wants, and I doubt Mark A wants a 58 win team. So it makes sense, for example, to get a FA like Thames on the cheap.

But I agree, when the choice for a 40 man spot is between a young pitcher with nasty stuff and a AAAA journeyman relief pitcher, you protect the young pitcher. No GM is perfect, but these decisions are going to be so important moving forward.

Or to put it another way, imagine we traded Kirk or Hughes for a 22 year old with 98 mph and movement.

I'd rather win 58 than 73 any day. That's exactly how you improve your odds of adding elite talent.

Let's also keep in mind that if Diaz pitches yesterday and gives up 3 runs everyone on here is saying "it's a good thing he wasn't put on the 40 man."

Small sample size, everyone. He potentially does have great stuff but let's keep in mind it was 1.1 innings. Don't lose your mind.

Perhaps not everyone, but my larger point is everyone is losing their minds with such small sample sizes all over the forum (calling for Villar to be waived instead of Gennett, the 25 man roster construction and bench, obviously the 40 man, etc.) A perfect example is a few days ago many were calling for Barnes to be sent down after a terrible spring but yesterday he looks pretty good and no one is saying a word about that.

The potential and stuff for Diaz could be for real but we need to keep in mind it's so very early in the season, 1.1 innings, and there's still a very real possibility he is offered back to us at some point throughout this long season.

and there's still a very real possibility he is offered back to us at some point throughout this long season.

I think the only way this happens is if he suffers a season ending injury before he can be stashed on the DL

Let's also keep in mind that if Diaz pitches yesterday and gives up 3 runs everyone on here is saying "it's a good thing he wasn't put on the 40 man."

Small sample size, everyone. He potentially does have great stuff but let's keep in mind it was 1.1 innings. Don't lose your mind.

The difference is he would be pitching in Carolina for us. All that would mean is he's not ready for the major leagues but we wouldn't have to have him in the major leagues.

Community Moderator

The difference is he would be pitching in Carolina for us. All that would mean is he's not ready for the major leagues but we wouldn't have to have him in the major leagues.

It is indeed a small sample size for Miguel Diaz, but now that he is in the majors we have access to his Pitch F/X data (LINK) which has been impressive in the 53 pitches that have been tracked thus far between Spring Training and yesterday.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived