Brewer Fanatic

2016 Rule 5 Protection & The 40-Man Roster

Mass Haas
MiLB Roster Tracker ‏@MiLB_Tracker 6m6 minutes ago

Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) have signed RHP Paolo Espino (@PaoloEspino10) to a minor league contract. Played for @SyracuseChiefs in 2016.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=502179#/career/R/pitching/2016/ALL

Very analytic-friendly signing. In 426.2 AAA IP (85 G, 66 starts), 1.188 WHIP, 7.8-to-1.9 K/BB per nine IP

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS via MiLB.com

Wouldn't be surprised to see Espino pitch for Panama in the spring's WBC.

Updated the initial post in this thread to reflect that Espino is Rule 5 draft-eligible.

Hard to believe that Espino with over 1,200 reasonably effective minor league innings hasn't had a sniff of the majors. I guess shows that 5'10" pitchers get overlooked. Those 2016 numbers were very good. Maybe he's this year's Guerra?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While he's not a good catcher, Coulter could serve as an emergency catcher for a weak team. That would be one way for a team to carry him.

An emergancy catcher? So basically a team would carry him for pinch hit duties? Honestly no team is going to find him even slightly attractive due to his ability(thats a stretch) to emergancy catch. No one signs a player or puts a player on their roster for their emergancy catching ability. I don't think he is ready or has the ceiling to be a Rule 5 pick. Maybe a team takes him, but I doubt he would last very long.

Miscellaneous alumni updates --

Rangers claimed RHP Tyler Wagner (Isan Diaz trade) from D-Backs.

RHP Zach Quintana (Kyle Wren trade) retired at age 22.

RHP Barrett Astin (Reds, Jonathan Broxton trade) and LHP Anthony Banda (D-Backs, Gerardo Parra acquisition) were added to the respective 40-man rosters.

• 3 weeks later...
Miguel Diaz will be the #1 pick in the rule 5 draft by the Twins, to be traded to San Diego. I am furious.

Tough to see Miguel Diaz go, a guy I had been legitimately excited about.

do you really think a guy can jump from low A to the bigs and stay on the roster all season?

I think the Padres have the time and patience to keep Diaz on the roster all year and then stash him in the minors. It's not like they're competing this year. I hope I'm wrong though.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Without looking at his stats, the fact that Caleb Smith is 25 and pitched in AA last year doesn't make me very excited about that pick. We should have cleared Goforth or Scahill's roster spot and protected Diaz.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Caleb Smith | LHP

Another unlikely success story, Smith defied expectations and pitched well as a starter between 2014 and 2015. He reached Trenton after two years in the rotation before returning to the bullpen in 2016. Despite improved peripherals, he didn’t blossom like the organization had hoped and he spend the year in Trenton. At this point, he’s a 24-year-old lefty reliever who isn’t particularly effective against left-handed hitters. Still, there’s a chance he gets picked up by a team hoping to find a useful swingman.

source: http://www.pinstripealley.com/yankees-prospects-minor-leagues/2016/12/7/13849848/yankees-prospects-rule-5-draft-jake-cave-tyler-webb-cale-coshow-brady-lail

yeah not too much to be excited over

I think the Padres have the time and patience to keep Diaz on the roster all year and then stash him in the minors. It's not like they're competing this year. I hope I'm wrong though.

Not to mention with Preller running the show I wouldn't put it past them to be very liberal with placing Diaz on the DL in order to get through stretches of the season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Miguel Diaz will be the #1 pick in the rule 5 draft by the Twins, to be traded to San Diego. I am furious.

do you really think a guy can jump from low A to the bigs and stay on the roster all season?

If Wang can do it on a contending club then the Padres certainly can.

So we lost our 21st ranked prospect, according to MLB.com, and picked up a guy from the Yankees who I do not see listed. Solid day.

I won't get too upset because as we continue to stockpile talent, not all of them are going to be with us. BUT, this seemed like a move that did not have to happen and the guy we drafted seems like at best, would be a loogy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Weird that the Padres traded up to get him. Did they think the Reds were going to take him at 2? Would make it less likely he clears waivers back to Milwaukee. Bad decision to leave him unprotected.

Weird that the Padres traded up to get him. Did they think the Reds were going to take him at 2? Would make it less likely he clears waivers back to Milwaukee. Bad decision to leave him unprotected.

A team that claims him would still have to keep him on the 25 man roster. If he can't hack it in SD the Brewers will get him back.

A team that claims him would still have to keep him on the 25 man roster. If he can't hack it in SD the Brewers will get him back.

Not necessarily, all the other team get a shot at him again. Brewers are last in line to get him back.

If Wang can do it on a contending club then the Padres certainly can.

My thoughts exactly. He will easily stay on the Padres roster all year.

I think the Padres have three rule 5 guys, so my only hope is that it becomes a huge strain on their roster and Diaz is clearly overwhelmed and comes back. The most likely scenario in that case is a WCW like DL stint though.

Archived