Brewer Fanatic

2016 Rule 5 Protection & The 40-Man Roster

Mass Haas
this goes against what most others have been predicting, but is brett phillips truly a lock to be added? his 2016 campaign with biloxi was underwhelming, and he's certainly not turning any heads in the arizona fall league right now.

while it's likely that he'd be snagged in the rule 5 draft, i see it less likely that he'd stick all season with the drafting club . . . especially when there are wild card berths usually within reach for many teams come 31 july.

i know that there are many players that should be outrighted to the minor leagues (even those coming off the 60-day disabled list), so excluding phillips isn't necessarily because of roster space, but perhaps to delay his options clock by another season so he's not in sync with lewis brinson's and ryan cordell's options clocks?

No way that happens and especially not because of synchronizing options. Yes, he would be picked and he would probably be the highest rated prospect at the time ever taken in the rule 5 and would stick with his big league team no matter how bad he does.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phillips would definitely stick with the club that drafted him and if by some miracle he was put on waivers he would be claimed before the Brewers would have a chance to take him back. Losing a top 100 player for nothing would be a huge mistake no matter what you think of him as a player.

Brewers re-signed Stephen Kohlscheen to a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training.

Glad we're holding onto him after his pretty great year at AA last year. Yes, he was 27 at AA, but I still would like to see him get a shot at AAA this year and provide some bullpen depth.

this goes against what most others have been predicting, but is brett phillips truly a lock to be added? his 2016 campaign with biloxi was underwhelming, and he's certainly not turning any heads in the arizona fall league right now.

while it's likely that he'd be snagged in the rule 5 draft, i see it less likely that he'd stick all season with the drafting club . . . especially when there are wild card berths usually within reach for many teams come 31 july.

i know that there are many players that should be outrighted to the minor leagues (even those coming off the 60-day disabled list), so excluding phillips isn't necessarily because of roster space, but perhaps to delay his options clock by another season so he's not in sync with lewis brinson's and ryan cordell's options clocks?

Phillips is absolutely a lock and it's not even debatable. A CF/RF with a cannon arm and speed to track combined with "potential" 20/20 from the left side. His overall numbers of 229/332/729 don't tell the entire story - take away one brutal month (July) and he finished 253/348/799 with 13 doubles, 5 triples, 15HR, 59rbi, 53 runs in 344 AB. Willie Randolph (Team USA coach) spoke highly of him. Mayo said during the broadcast last night not to pay attention to his numbers because he's working on some things but he's played well even though numbers don't show it. He has 10bb in 10 AFL games. His last 5 games he's 250/471/804. Plus he was 2yrs young for AA last year as a 21/22yr old. He'll be just fine.

If Phillips is 21/22 why is he eligible for Rule 5 already?

I think the 40man filled to an open spot relies on who may be left unprotected. We're 9 so Im thinking full to protect over leaving a spot open.

What about Winter meetings and trades? Wont that happen before the Rule 5?

He was drafted in 2012 at 18, and this is the 5th Rule 5 draft after he signed so he is eligible. If they are 19 or older on the June 5 preceeding their signing they are eligible on the fourth Rule 5 after signing; if they are 18 or younger on the June 5 preceeding their signing they are eligible on the fifth Rule 5 after signing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft

Having one of the top minor league systems means that there is a good chance you will lose talent for nothing over the offseason. The Brewers gambled with Liriano trying to sneak him through but lost; they won (so far) with Nolin.

You have to think that Capuano and Boyer are likely to be released, and there are a lot of other guys on the fence (Rowen, Scahill, Goforth, Rivera, Pinto, Nieuwenhuis, Reed, Barrios, Houser).

Having one of the top minor league systems means that there is a good chance you will lose talent for nothing over the offseason. The Brewers gambled with Liriano trying to sneak him through but lost; they won (so far) with Nolin.

Nolin was drafted in 2010, and although he didn't pitch that first season, it counts towards his service time. So until we hear otherwise, he'll be a minor league free agent next week, along with the other Brewer outrights thus far (Wilkins, Elmore, Cecchini).

Even if Liriano had cleared, he would have been free-agent eligible as well. Unless the Brewers thought/knew he would then re-sign on a minor league deal, it was a signal that the organization thought it needed to move on and use Rymer's roster spot elsewhere.

I am going to guess they will still cut someone before or after the Rule 5 draft. Right now they have 5 pretty sure bets to be added(Brinson, Hader, Cordell, Phillips, Willams) and six spots open. I would guess Stearns would want to go into the Rule 5 draft with two spots open, but maybe not. Even if he doesn't I can't imagine him not picking up a player so that would max out the 40-man roster. Stearns always talks about the importance to have at least one spot open at all times so that would then make it likely to drop someone after the Rule 5 draft.

You would think after those five, priority would be for Wang and Coulter. Someone would draft Wang for sure. Coulter maybe but he may not last a full season on someone's roster. Cooper, Wren, M Diaz would all be nice to protect but lower priority than those other 7.

You would think after those five, priority would be for Wang and Coulter. Someone would draft Wang for sure. Coulter maybe but he may not last a full season on someone's roster. Cooper, Wren, M Diaz would all be nice to protect but lower priority than those other 7.

What about Tyrone Taylor? I think he would be easier to stick than Coulter on someone's roster as all glove CF / last man on the bench spot. I don't envy Stearns. I personally want to add 8 or 9 people, but without doing quick trades now, that's probably not realistic.

Funny, we will cram the 40-man full now but theoretically could open 5 or more spots by trades in Winter meeting / early december (any of Braun, Garza, Anderson, Guerra, Gennett, Carter, Maldenado, Thornburg, Torres, Nieuwenhuis)

Spurlin and/or Uhen might be pitching their way into 40-man contention given the ability they've showcased in the AFL.

Tyrone Taylor is probably a few years away from being able to hit enough to stick at the big league level. I don't think the Brewers protect him, which would have been shocking to predict a few years ago. That said, he would be a decent Rule 5 selection for some other team in a buy-low kind of sense. He's ready defensively, it would just be a question of trying to hide his bat for a full season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Tyrone Taylor is probably a few years away from being able to hit enough to stick at the big league level. I don't think the Brewers protect him, which would have been shocking to predict a few years ago. That said, he would be a decent Rule 5 selection for some other team in a buy-low kind of sense. He's ready defensively, it would just be a question of trying to hide his bat for a full season.

This^. Plus the fact that he is probably our #5 CF at best in the minors (I have him at #7 without Broxton) it would by hard to protect him. We are going to see people grabbing Rule 5 picks from our MiLB squad over the next coming years, but that is a good indicator of our depth.

The key will be identifying and protecting the high end guys and not worrying about the MLB contributors...

I think you can take And That's statement and substitute Yadiel Rivera for Tyrone Taylor and it would be pretty much true.

I'm hoping that Barrios being removed is a function of not being ready to pitch any time soon, as I'd keep him over Rivera 10 times out of 10. Same with Liriano.

I don't think the Brewers will have any open spots on the 40-man. They are 9th in line in the Rule 5 order, and by that point I don't think there will be anyone left who will have more upside than anyone the Brewers are debating adding from their own system.

MiLB Roster Tracker ‏@MiLB_Tracker 6m6 minutes ago

Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) have signed RHP Paolo Espino (@PaoloEspino10) to a minor league contract. Played for @SyracuseChiefs in 2016.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=502179#/career/R/pitching/2016/ALL

Very analytic-friendly signing. In 426.2 AAA IP (85 G, 66 starts), 1.188 WHIP, 7.8-to-1.9 K/BB per nine IP

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS via MiLB.com

Wouldn't be surprised to see Espino pitch for Panama in the spring's WBC.

Updated the initial post in this thread to reflect that Espino is Rule 5 draft-eligible.

Archived